Can't really notice the difference between DVI and VGA...

Got a new monitor for a awesome price... widescreen 17" flat panel... has both DVI and VGA... I have CRT's and many other flat panels hooked up via VGA... thought might as well hook the new one up via DVI to see the quality difference between the two...

Honestly I can't tell a damn difference between DVI and VGA quality at all...lol Should I be looking at something specific? Watching a DVD, a game, photoshop?

Thanks for the help :)

-Nigel

Get a pair of glasses? :p j/k

I don't know, but when I hooked up DVI for the first time on my 19" LCD monitor, the difference was night and day. I mainly noticed the difference in text. Try the two and see if you can notice the difference in sharpness.

What kind of graphics card are you using?

Matrox462 said:
Get a pair of glasses? :p j/k

I don't know, but when I hooked up DVI for the first time on my 19" LCD monitor, the difference was night and day. I mainly noticed the difference in text. Try the two and see if you can notice the difference in sharpness.

What kind of graphics card are you using?

ATI 9700 Pro

I will look at the text and try to compare.

-Nigel

Comparing and for whatever the hell is wrong with me VGA looks better to me as far as text...

WHAT is wrong with me... I bought this monitor for my mac mini and trying it on my PC... would it look better on the mini rather than pc?

Weird... maybe my eyes are telling me something if I can't tell the difference... I am at the computer too many hours a day...lol

-Nigel

Not the greatest by any means as far as I am concerned but it's a WestingHouse widescreen LCM-17w7. Matches the Mac Mini perfectly..., it's a $300 flatpanel that I got it for about $100 brand new at work just cause it's clerance! w00t w00t!

17w7-lg.jpg

-Nigel

I use the VP191b on a Radeon 64 which only have VGA out, after swtiching to DVI out on Ti4200, I didnt notice any significant improvement. I didnt actually try to compare the two connection though but I am quite fussy on text sharpenss and color vibrancy, I can say the VGA out from Radeon 64 is comparable to DVI out on Ti4200. it shows that The VP191b have some high quality VGA input.

NewShockerGuy said:
Not the greatest by any means as far as I am concerned but it's a WestingHouse widescreen LCM-17w7. Matches the Mac Mini perfectly..., it's a $300 flatpanel that I got it for about $100 brand new at work just cause it's clerance! w00t w00t!

17w7-lg.jpg

-Nigel

Got anymore of these things at work you are willing to hook some of us poor folks up with that are still in the CRT world? :p

You do not have to be a videophile to see the effects of VGA vs. DVI

You need to use a higher resolution screen before you can really see the effects. It's easier to get a cleaner signal on lower resolutions.

FirehawkNS said:
Got anymore of these things at work you are willing to hook some of us poor folks up with that are still in the CRT world? :p

I will check tomorrow since I'm off today... but I have no problems with that...

I could have gotten a 42" LG HD LCD for around $700.... $(@#!!!!
Needless to say another employee got it because I took too long "thinking about it" ...lol

-Nigel

I was joking because I haven't done any extensive testing.

But with my wide aspect LCD monitor at 1680x1050 resolution and using a 6600GT video card, there in no noticable difference between the DVI and VGA that I can see.

Well....there's the advantage of not needing to adjust the screen size, geometry etc. with dvi, but it isn't a deal breaker. However I use an ACD 20" with dvi and it's perfect, why not use dvi if you have the option?

I can tell a huge difference. my 730b looks like utter SHIT when connected through regular VGA, but after connecting it through DVI, its like the difference between night and day. Games don't ghost anymore, and pictures look great!

Maad said:
You do not have to be a videophile to see the effects of VGA vs. DVI

You need to use a higher resolution screen before you can really see the effects. It's easier to get a cleaner signal on lower resolutions.

My Samsung 915N (analog) looks just as good on text as our samsungs at work that use DVI....I hear that Samsung has some of the best analog LCD's out there...for the price I got, I am quite happy with my screen....

Back