Can't run 64-bit guest on host with 64-bit support

runt

2[H]4U
We added a new server to our ESXi "cluster" (i.e. made it a cluster). It is a HP DL140 G3 w/ 2 Xeon 5140 CPUs, 32GB RAM & 2 73GB 10k RPM SAS Drives.

I can run 32-bit hosts on it fine and according to the VMware CPUID utility it supports 64-bit guests.
The following are the supported items from the CPUID utility.
  • Nx/XD
  • CMPXCHG16B
  • Hyperthreading
  • 64-bit Longmode
  • 64-bit VMware
  • Xeon/Core2 EVC Modes
  • SSE1,SSE2,SSE3,SSSE3

Does anyone have a clue why I can't run a 64-bit guest on the machine?

Have the latest BIOS? Seen this before..everything looks right but VT support isn't being passed through. BIOS update fixes it.

Yep, just updated the BIOS this morning. I guess I can try to toggle VT support off, power the server down, start it up, toggle it on, power it off, & finally start it up again and pray.

Yep, just updated the BIOS this morning. I guess I can try to toggle VT support off, power the server down, start it up, toggle it on, power it off, & finally start it up again and pray.

We had a similar issue with a couple HP DL380 G5s and that was the fix.

I'm about ready to load Debian 5.07 & VMware Server 2.x, but I know it won't perform as fast and I have no clue if VMware Server 2.x can handle Virtual Hardware version 7.

I've seen this problem when the stepping on both cpu's does not match.

And your first screenshot seems to indicate the cpu's are not the same stepping.

Try pulling one of the cpu's and see if that allows you to boot 64 bit guests.

I'm wondering if its because EMT 64 is not present, I had an old IBM 206 server that supported Intel Virtualization in the BIOS like this one did, but it was too old and did not support EMT 64 which meant while I could install ESX, I could only create 32bit VM's it would not support 64bit VM's and no BIOS update will ever fix it, machine is simply too old.

Back