Can't Run Dual Monitor with SLI

Majin

2[H]4U
Hi All,
I recently bought a BENQ F241VW 24inch screen to replace my Dell 2007FPW 20.1 20 inch screen. I really love this new monitor but hate not using my old monitor for anything since it's perfectly fine. So I want to use both of them; I have a 8800GTX OC SLI setup so I have 4 DVI ports.

When I plug the DELL monitor into the 2nd DVI port of the 1st card (BenQ monitor is in the 1st port on 1st card) nVidia Control Panel doesn't recogniz that the DELL Monitor is there. I hear the audio tone letting me know the sytem realizes there is a monitor plugged in but I can't select anything besides Use Single Monitor under nVidia Control panel.

I am running both cards in SLI enabled mode with the default settings that computer sets up, I haven't changed anything! I have the latest Drivers (AFAIK). I have installed the Drivers for both screens as well. I figured I would do it through DISPLAY > SETTINGS under control panel, but it's the same way. I click identify monitors and only the Benq shows the 1 on the screen, the DELL just sits in sleep mode. I try to force Windows across Monitor 2 but it won't take.

Because I am running it in SLI I see the 3 Monitors under SETTINGS but 1 is active the other 2 are greyed out and not selectable. I have read the Useless help function and even checked around a bit for an answer but can't find anything. I tried to plug the monitors into different DVI ports but only the 2 on the 1st (primary) card work. I looked through nVidia Control Panel and under the Multi Monitors tab, But I seem to be lacking the option to activate the 2nd monitor. Also When I set the Dell are Primary it works no problem, but then the BenQ isn't selectable.

So I figure it has to be software related since I can use one or the other but not both at the same time. What am I missing? Are these 2 monitors just not working with me? Do I need to DL a driver I am not aware of? Any help would be great as I have ehausted all my basic knowledge of how to fix this. It's not the end of the world to not have 2 Monitors, but I would like to be able to run 2. Please Help.

You cannot run dual monitors in SLI. You have run a single monitor for SLI. When you want to go to multiple monitors, you will have to disable SLI. Nvidia is supposedly working on multiple monitor SLI. It is available in Crossfire now though.

Good luck.

If you want multiple displays with SLI enabled, you'll need to buy a third, non-nVidia card. In other words, buy a Radeon for your second screen. That article is from 2006.

And FYI, "signing" your posts is not allowed- that's what your signature is for.

Back