cant seem to overclock my opteron 170

Shinryu

Limp Gawd
Ok I have been trying to overclock my processor for awhile now and it never works, first I tryed by loosening my timings of my ocz ddr 500 ram too 3-4-4-8 and then setting the speed to 250 so my FSB can be 250, I have changed the voltage to many levels to aroun 1.4-1.5 Volts and still no go, I have also tryed using systool and it just sends my computer to blue screen.

My motherboard is the ASUS A8R-MVP Deluxe

try lowering ht multi to 3,set ram divider to 333 or 266,up the htt in small incraments you may need a voltage bump to get stable....lots of excellent guides for ocing athlon64s here just search for them

could u pm me ur email addy
i have an amazing guide that is meant for only ATI RD480 and RD580 chipsets
i can send it to ya
its an amazing document and i can always get my opty's up to 3GHz using the recommended settings.

well you should not just set your fsb to 250 and then restart and hope it works...

you need to gradually increase your FSB like by 5-10 rebooting every time and I would run orthos or dual instances of prime95 for a couple of minutes to make sure you have some sort of stability...... then when it fails to run orthos or prime95 then you up your vcore. the you keep the FSB the same and try and run orthos if it fails then lower HTTx or increase chipset voltage....

make sure you have a low ram divider during testing keeping your RAM below DDR400 all the time...

watch you temp, keep your coretemps below 60*C dont use a motherboard temp monitor..
use coretemp or speedfan (reading the core temp)

also do you have the newest bios?

Yeah I have installed the newest bios, I havent tryed doing small incriments yet, only used the systool version for trying that.

Ok il send my email to yer m8 and see what we can do :D

try this:

FSB = 280
CPU mult = 10x
Ram divider = 166
Timings (your stock settings which it's rated for)
HTT = 3x
vcore 1.50

I say vcore as 1.5 because it's still safe and your cpu is likely to exceed 2800mhz at that voltage.

go into cpuz and make sure it shows everything correct if it posts. If no post then make sure your htt is at 3x or less, and your ram divider is not higher than 180. Sometimes certain ram dividers are just not happy and need to be lowered.

whats a better situation core at 2.8 with htt at 850mhz and mem at around 380mhz or lower core with 1000 htt and 400 to 430mhz ddr...?

HTT will mean just about nothing in the long run, so you ought to play with dividers to get that ram to the highest it can stably support, while making sure that the CPU is as high as possible. HTT can take the hit, the others can't.

I'm guessing in place of HTT you mean HT Link, or LDT Multiplier. Your HyperTransport speed is almost entirely irrelevant and has very little affect on performance. Just make sure that the LDT Multiplier (HT Link Multiplier) * your HTT speed is less than or equal to 1000Mhz. HTT refers to what others are calling the front-side bus.

To the OP: This is an indispensible overclocking guide for those new to or even experienced with overclocking K8s. Use orthos in place of prime95 to check for prime stability.

I never can pass 2600Mhz with MSI K8N Neo4.. Now running @ 2800 in Asus A8N-SLI..

Try:
Default volt or put 1.35v.. more volt more heat.. I running 2 prime and a full load (100%) cores never exced 52ºC
Fix mem @ 166Mhz (DDR333)
FSB between 250 and 284
HTT < 1200 (FSB x 4)... Opteron no have prob with HTT > 1000

Opteron no have prob with HTT > 1000

Opterons are no different architecturally to any other K8. Most people notice instability with an HT speed > 1000Mhz, and since there is no benefit to running it faster, I don't see the point.

ok I have gotten it too 2.5ghz stable...so far lol, reading this what has been said and other posts has given me a good idea of what settings to put on and why. so thanks :)

Running at 37c idle at 1.5v, im gonna try and lower that, or raise speeds, but I am gonna do more tests first.

my mobo also seems to of put the HTT too 400mhz

you guys r so lucky!! i have a hell gay chip (x2) i think the stepping is something like 0551 or some crap. cant even do 2.3ghz (can boost but have random lockup therefore i belive its not stable for 24/7 using). right now i can squeeze out 0.2ghz of it which is 2.2ghz @ 1.44~1.47v. i tried different boards and have very similar results i belive just my cpu is not a good one. i attemp to run @2.4ghz and it works however not for long b4i can rejoice, the whole thing jsut locked up and freeze time after time. i set the htt link @ 1x and cpu is @ 1.6v and ram is @ 133. i'm using the A8R32 MVP dlx btw, its a good board i;ve got to say, but jsut not my cpu. good luck on ur oc process buddy.

I strongly urge all of you who are having issues to read that guide I posted up above. You'll be able to find out the maxes of each individual piece of hardware, and then combine settings to achieve the highest possible performance.

Don't just guess a setting and try it. Also, make sure you're shooting for prime stability, otherwise you will encounter issues in the future.

Yeah I agreee the review makes alot of sense out of the different settings.

higher mem and htt with higher core speed. both need to be high lol

Memory speeds are still pretty useless with these chips. Get the ram as fast and as stable as you can. If the divider you use makes your ram run @ 190, who cares. If it runs @ 250, thats great. Just don't give up cpu speed for memory speed. Trying for 1:1 is pointless unless you have the hardware that can do it.

I Have Opteron that is 170 hits 2.55 only

Have played with alot of settings but not all Im sure and I still hope even though I havnt bothered playing with it in months since I got it that there is a magical setting I have overlooked on this ATI Based crossrire A8R32-MVP board and my current chip.

Let the magic find me.

Ican get my 170 to 2.75 game stable with mem at 540mhz... dropping the memory speed doesnt let me oc any higher... this is at 1.45v ive tried giving it more juice but that doesnt seem to make a difference in going higher... its as if my cpu hit a brick wall if i even increase 2 or 3 mhz it soft locks at startup... if my transport speed is lower than my mem speed is the mem speed technically going to waste?

Mine hits 2.55 OC, A opty 180.

After 2.55, even 2.6, Significant increase in temp to get stable -- IE Requires voltage that pushes temp to unresonable level

Posts at 2.85ghz -- Loads windows, but prime errors out rite away,
Seemingly I have tried almost everything I can think of...

Though it is a CBBWE settping I think, Or whatever steppping I was told is not known to be very good.

Back