Can't tell if CPU or board is bad

Ashbringer

Supreme [H]ardness
I built a HTPC for my sister and had to fix it recently. The hard drive went bad. Popped a new one in and noticed the drives were powering up and down. Both HD and DVD drive. Had an extra power supply, so I threw that in there and that stopped, but then the PC wouldn't go into standby and resume. When it resumes the screen was black and no HD activity. Also, random moments would occur with the screen would be scrambled and the PC was frozen.

Test the ram with memtestX86 and everything was fine. Ran Prime95 and nothing wrong. I even ran a GPU stress test for 30 minutes and nothing. But after I was done I put into standby and resumed with no issue. But I spend half my day trying to fix it and a stress test fixed it?

The wiring in my sisters home has aluminum in it and has been known to take out devices. That I think damaged the power supply. But I can't tell now if the board is bad or not. BTW, Asrock A55m-HVS with AMD A4 3400 chip. I've run Windows 7 and MINT 15 on it and it wouldn't resume from standby in both OS's. Wasn't until after the GPU stress test that it would resume. I didn't try after Prime95.

Also the chip doesn't seem to ever run hot. Asrock Utility reports 20C temp under load. That can't be right.

Maybe take a look at the Windows error log and see if anything is cropping up in there. You might also look through the bios and see if your voltages are in the proper ranges like 3.3 12v and ... Also make sure all the setting in the bios are okay (maybe reset to default and reconfigure them). Also if you are using mechanical disks it might be worth while to run a drive fitness or at least check disk to make sure you dont have any damage there.

You might take a look at the capacitors on the board and inspect those for damages as well.

As for the future with that kind of wiring it might make sense to get some form of power conditioner that cleans up the ac voltages, maybe one with a battery backup? Weird power like through Aluminum can play all sorts of havoc on electronics that require very tight voltages.

Maybe take a look at the Windows error log and see if anything is cropping up in there.
Lets of errors for the NTFS file system, but that maybe because I have to hit the reset button when it doesn't resume.

You might also look through the bios and see if your voltages are in the proper ranges like 3.3 12v and ... Also make sure all the setting in the bios are okay (maybe reset to default and reconfigure them). Also if you are using mechanical disks it might be worth while to run a drive fitness or at least check disk to make sure you dont have any damage there.
I've had both drives disconnected and booted off a Ubuntu disk and tried to resume from stanby there. No luck.

I have also reset the bios by removing the battery. I haven't checked the voltage ranges though. I did just remove everything from the board and cleaned the contacts with electronic lubricant. Of course it won't resume from standby now that I did this.
You might take a look at the capacitors on the board and inspect those for damages as well.
That I'll also do next. Though a lot of capacitors are solid state. Not sure if they ever go bad.
As for the future with that kind of wiring it might make sense to get some form of power conditioner that cleans up the ac voltages, maybe one with a battery backup? Weird power like through Aluminum can play all sorts of havoc on electronics that require very tight voltages.
It's my sisters so I'm not going out to buy her a UPS. Though I do have an extra surge protector.

Back