Can't wait for DDR2/PCI-X

roachm

Limp Gawd
I cannot wait for the prices to drop on DDR2 and PCI-X any longer. This is the system I believe I am going to buy before school, anything you would do different?

Intel P4 3.0E (Going to overclock to around 3.3-3.4)
Asus P4P800E-DELUXE Motherboard
CORSAIR TWINX1024-3200 PC3200 2X512MB DDR CAS2 Silver Heat Spreader
ATI RADEON X800 PRO AGP8X 256MB DDR3 VGA DVI-I TV OUT RETAIL BOX
MAXTOR 80GB SATA 7200RPM 8MB OEM HARD DRIVE *1YR MFR. WARRANTY* x2
LIAN-LI ALUMINUM PC65U Silver w/ Window
LG GSA-4082B 8X4X12 DVD+-R/RW/RAM 24X16X32 CDRW (Might change to NEC with firmware hack to burn dual-layer
CREATIVE SOUND BLASTER AUDIGY 2 ZS 7.1 1394 PCI RETAIL BOX
VANTEC NXP-305 3.5IN SILVER FAN & LIGHT CONTROLLER
TURBO GAMER AS500 ATX 500W P4 POWER SUPPLY SILVER W/ WINDOW & LED FANS

$2,165 Canadian (aprox. $1,648 USD)

All my modding supplies will be bought from a different place, may also change the PSU because I'm yet to read anything saying if its reliable or not.

...new system time here:

- P4 3.0E
- Zahlman 7000 Cu
- 2 * 512MB Mushkin DDR3500
- Abit IC7-G
- BFG 6800GT OC (as soon as I can buy one...... :rolleyes: )

...etc. Just got the case so I'll start in on it tonight.

Regards - B.B.S.

Should I go for the Zalman copper round looking heatsink (9000 something) or Thermalright SP-94, I've never owned an intel rig =\.

I would recommend (especially if OCing) adding a Swiftech NorthBridge cooler (MCX-159-R). Also, just curious, why are you going with the 3.0E instead of the 3.0C?

If i got this correctly, an "e" (prescott core) will oc higher, yet has more heat and lower benchies, because of lower pipeline. The "c" (northwood) is a good oc'er and gets good benchies, as it has a shorter pipeline. Also the prescott "e" will be hotter than a minister's zipper. The prob with the "c" northwood, is that it is being discontinued by intel. They will not have anything higher than 3.4c, and i don't believe they have plans to put it on lga775.

apHytHiaTe said:
If i got this correctly, an "e" (prescott core) will oc higher, yet has more heat and lower benchies, because of lower pipeline. The "c" (northwood) is a good oc'er and gets good benchies, as it has a shorter pipeline. Also the prescott "e" will be hotter than a minister's zipper. The prob with the "c" northwood, is that it is being discontinued by intel. They will not have anything higher than 3.4c, and i don't believe they have plans to put it on lga775.

Just as a side note to this, the 'E' has 1MB L2 cache compared to the 512K L2 cache of the 'C'.

Just a question. Why the x800Pro? The 6800GT is easier to find, performs better or at the very least equally, and has a better featureset. The X800Pro isn't a bad card, but for the price, the GT is better.

Am I the only sane person here? Don't waste your time with a P4. The Prescott's are shown to be subpar performers and run extremely hot. Get an Athlon 64 processor and wipe the floor with P4's.

roachm said:
I cannot wait for the prices to drop on DDR2 and PCI-X any longer.

PCI- X has been out for along time now, you mean PCIe = PCI Express.

Major_A said:
Get an Athlon 64 processor and wipe the floor with P4's.
Quoted for true :D

Okay, you guys are bastards, alwasy being right. I'm going to get a shuttle now, because my parents said if I want them to pay for any of it, it has to be more portable because I LAN alot, ALOT. I'll consider what you guys have said about the Athlon 64, but the x800 is going to stay I think. ATI rocks nVidia, and I've owned ATI all my life and have experienced only tiny problems, while my friends have nVidia and bitch about it constantly. It all depends on whats cheaper from where I'm buying, I'll check it out, but I doubt I'll change my mind on the video card. Check back soon :) and thanks for the help!

EDIT: The place I'm buying everything from has no Shuttles with the new AMD64 socket, so I'm sticking with P4. I've changed my mind about the ATI X800 PRO, I read alot of reviews and the BFG 6800 GT OC looks amazing for only 10 dollars more. It's also a single slot solution which is good because shuttles aren't exactly 'roomy'.

I believe you mean PCI-E not PCI-X, as PCI-X has been out for quite sometime. Small distinction but very important none the less.

roachm said:
Okay, you guys are bastards, alwasy being right. I'm going to get a shuttle now,
--snip--
Good move, just because you've always bought a certain brand doesn't mean that you should continue to do so, it's nice to mix things up alittle (on a side note your friends might be idiots I've owned several vid cards from ATI and NV and NV cards have never done anything to make me bitch about them but I know how to tweak if they do...:) ).
You might want to check out Antec's Aria case, it can fit a Micro ATX board in there giving you alittle more room then the Shuttle. Going with an Aria means that you can choice whether or not you'll go A64 or Intel.
Check it out: http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-129-146&depa=0

MicroATX boards are extremely scarce for SATA. I considered buying one when they came out, because the guy who owns the LAN centre I go to has one. Anyways, newegg doesn't ship to Canada. I was wondering what you guys think of overclocking and Shuttles? Good idea or no? I figure if I have an SP-94 with my P4 3.0c I can get it to about 3.6 easily but it might change with a shuttle. I plan to add a top blowhole on the shuttle, or an exhaust fan somewhere else. 600 mhz OC in a shuttle okay or no?

X800Pro is a good card, but the 6800GT is better with the 16 pipelines. I never really believed in brand loyalty... especially when one beats the other.

They're around the same price, but the GT has more bandwidth and can overclock to the Ultra where the Pro will always be slower than an XT.

KevC said:
They're around the same price, but the GT has more bandwidth and can overclock to the Ultra where the Pro will always be slower than an XT.
Unless you get one of the VIVO versions, you can flask those to a XTPE and from what I hear they still have a little more head room.

Back