Capabilities of the G4 Cube?

’m‚³‚ñ

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm looking into upgrading my PC population (yeah, I have a server farm), and I'm sick of Windows, and Linux is honestly beyond me.

I'm going from 5 PC's (one gaming rig, one family computer, and 3 Boxen for running F@H) to either 2 or 3 computers.

I'm getting a gaming computer, and relegating my current top of the line PC to be an HTPC. Which leaves the question, can I live with just one PC? I'd like to have some things on another computer, like email, browsing, etc. So, I was thinking about maybe getting a Mac, since I honestly grew up with a Mac (OS 7.5.1).

So, I was wondering, what are the capabilities of a Mac? I'd like to stay away from the iMac, I like the integrated LCD monitor, but it still kinda bugs me. I'd be hooking the mac up to a 17" NEC LCD, my Gaming rig would have a matching NEC LCD as well (they would be sitting next to eachother). Does the Mac have DVI outputs, or just VGA? How does a cube compare to a dual G5 in a tower?

And, last question, if I say, had a game made for OS7/OS8, would OS X be able to run it? (Yes, I still have most of my Mac games, I even have a few of them on PC as well...)

How does a cube compare to a dual G5 in a tower?
A single 400MHz G5 with a 100MHz system bus versus a dual or quadruple >2000MHz G5 with a gigahertz bus? Uh, yeah... the Power Mac is slightly better. ;)

Either way, the Cube is a cool computer. It had rather good performance when it was released, and it has quite a bit of upgrading potential. I think you can stick dual 1.5GHz G4s in it, and probably a Radeon 9800. The problem is that it will cost you quite a lot, and an iMac will still perform better. I wouldn't personally recomend upgrading a Cube unless you have a specific interest in using a Cube in particular. A Mac mini is probably a better bet. Or an iMac. The new iMacs are fucking fantastic.

And yes, Mac OS X can generally play your old games within the "Classic" compatibility layer. Some games don't work, but most do. Think of it as an old games emulator. That's the only thing I ever use it for.

Anything made around the time of the cube onward (~2000) have dvi, not worrying about macs with built in displays

I was thinking about the cube because it's small, and I have limited space. :) I thought it would be neat having a cube that I could put on the desk next to the monitor or something.

I will be running Folding@home on the Mac I end up getting, will running at 100% load constantly cause harm to come to the Cube? I've heard things (in the distant past) about them overheating...

the G4 chip needs to die off, its outdated and its retarted that Apple still uses it, the G5 chips just destroys it in virtually everything

Andross182 said:
the G4 chip needs to die off, its outdated and its retarted that Apple still uses it, the G5 chips just destroys it in virtually everything

Thanks for your insight.

Why not consider a mac mini? You'll pay about the same ammount if you upgrade the cube.

Andross182 said:

Okay, but here's the thing.
He's purposely buying used, meaning whether apple uses the G4 chip still or not has no relevance to this thread.

When the mac mini first came out I saw a few things on performance comparisons. You can google it, but overall if you don't have the money you're willing to just spill a mac mini is a better idea.

I would recommend a Mini to you. The new ones (not listed on Apple's site yet but I just ordered the $599 one two weeks ago from Apple.com and got the updated version) are a 1.5 Ghz chip and have a Radeom 9200 64MB in them.

The cubes I believe capped at 500Mhz. Yeah you can get a CPU upgrade card but that's going to cost you some bucks. They also came with an ATI Rage 128 Standard and AGP 2X Mac compatable (TRUE Mac cards, not cards bios hacked to work like you find on eBay that lack all the features and are quirky) are also expensive and difficult to find.

Feature wise for the price: Mac mini > G4 cube

$599 Mac Mini: 1.5Ghz CPU, 512MB RAM upgradable to a gig, 802.11g wireless, Bluetooth, DVD/CDRW slot load, USB 2.0, 64MB Radeon 9200.

Average cube on eBay: $300, 450Mhz CPU, various amounts of RAM, DVD or CD only, no wireless, USB 1.1 and an ATI Rage 128 16MB card. Add more RAM, better video and a CPU upgrade card and you've paid more than the mini.

Back