Card Crashing in DXVA but not 3D

bigstusexy

2[H]4U
Hello,

I've started to record some things in HD but found its not easy for feasable to play it back so I decided to get a new card to assist. I went form a x1950 AGP to a 4670 PCI Express. The install went well and everything seemd fine no video corruption no glitches or anything.

I tried a HD video, it started to run just perfect! Then my screen went away and the audio stopped. I remoted to it about a minute later and saw that a message about the video driver had stop responding so I restarted.

Short of the long I tried the following:
Media Player Classic
Media Player Classic Home Cenemia
WMP 11
Removing most codecs
Different files.
Different Drivers Cats 9.4, 9.1 and whatever came with the card uninstalling between eachnd multiple reboots for the uninstall and reinstall process.
Voltage Check log
Motherboard BIOS update.
Nothing seemed to work and no problems spotted.

Having come to witts end about this before drastically changing my system I decided to stop and try some games. UT3demo (kept saying I modded it even after a reinstall blah) Need for Speed Most wanted (polly errors, figured it was the game) Quake 4 / Doom 3 All the way up an no issues or problems. UT2004 Super hight and Super fast. I played about 20 minutes of each with no issues save for Most wanted Demo.

I then proceeded to grab another drive install XP SP3 from scratch, added Cats 9.4 all other windows updates WMP 11 Media Player classic and FFDshow lates again and test... Crashed, it was a WMV. Removed FFDshow I think and tried again and crashed.

The errors I get are:

The driver ati2dvag for the display device \Device\Video0 got stuck in an infinite loop
and
ati2dvag.dll ( ati2dvag!_NULL_IMPORT_DESCRIPTOR <PERF> (ati2dvag+0x3a869)+0 )
and
ati2dvag.dll ( ati2dvag!vScaleBltCleanup_R100+89 )

These are the tree I've noticed so far. Any Ideas? i'm going to contact Sapphire later today about this.

Motherboard is a ASRock 4coreduo+Sata2 Bios 2.10
Using DDR2 2GB
PSU TruPower 430
Sapphire Radeon 4670 GDDR4 512

I am now getting worried about the card.

I have spoken to Sapphire and they asked me to return it to newegg after talking to them. I have done so (bummer that I'm out another $9 almost)

Also if you look for the card, this was its item ID N82E16814102818, its now a deactivated item...

I am experiencing the same behaviour with my Sapphire Radeon HD 5850. BUT, i figured out that when I activate denoise (from shaders menu) there are no problems playing HD content using DXVA. Go figure...

MB: Gigabyte GA-P55-UD5
CPU: Intel Core i5-750
VGA: Sapphire Radeon HD 5850 (reference card)
RAM: 4 GB (2+2)

Last edited:
the biggest problem i see is that you were using cat 9.4 which has 0 DXVA support.. they didnt add DXVA until 9.6 or 9.7 i believe and even then it was very limited support.. it got better around 9.10..

as far as the deactivation id either ask for the money back or exchange the card for a different brand but same model..

If anyone hasn't figured it out. This is a 7+ month old thread, so replying to the OP is of little use. Specially for the geniuses recommending him to update his drivers...

Back