Carmack designates XBOX360 as his "primary dev platform"

MIght get the last week pic. :( He mentioned that at like Quakecon or something too...

Anyways, he made like 1 PC game in the last how many years? Sucks, but we'll live. Who knows, he may be more into the engine aspect anyways. D3 engine is in good hands.

if they madea console that games use the mouse and keyboard combo, there would be no reason to have a computer...

freekin expensive to build a system

Go watch or read the entire quakecon presentation where he states that the switch is because of performance inconsistancy between driver versions on pc. On the xbox360 there is less driver fluff between the code and the hardware, so he can tweak the features to the performance level the hardware is capable of and then let nvidia/ati optimize their drivers correctly.

not to mention xbox360 in terms of technology,is further in shaders technology WGF2.0/DX10 which isnt adapted to current pc's yet,it also can be used to devolpe multi threaded game engines on which is better for those with dual core pc's ;) nothing pc owners should be upset about

After playing Doom 3, I don't care if he ever makes another game for the PC.

I was going to say something similar but held back. I'll go ahead and say what I feel...

Yeah, Doom 3 wasn't the greatest thing to come out for PC, pretty graphics but the engine seemed really limited and basic compared to the Source engine and Far Cry's engine. So I'd say let him have his console cash cow where he can make simple games with pretty graphics if he can't make games on par with other pc titles.

peacetilence said:
I was going to say something similar but held back. I'll go ahead and say what I feel...

Yeah, Doom 3 wasn't the greatest thing to come out for PC, pretty graphics but the engine seemed really limited and basic compared to the Source engine and Far Cry's engine. So I'd say let him have his console cash cow where he can make simple games with pretty graphics if he can't make games on par with other pc titles.

Source is easily the least advanced out of those three. Doesn't mean that source games are worse, just that HL2 was very last gen in terms of features. It goes to show what good artists can add to a game.

EchoMatrix said:
if they madea console that games use the mouse and keyboard combo, there would be no reason to have a computer...

Maybe. But if you really want the best looking game experience, you'd
need to buy an HDTV to get the same quality as a standard CRT monitor.

I say good riddance, as others have also said. Yes, doom3 was pretty. But it was a very simple game. You are this guy. Kill all the mutant freeks. Oh yea and its dark and scary.

Let him go make mediocre games for consoles, see if I care :)

Yeah I mean who gives a rat's ass anyway? It's not like id's been cranking out more than playable tech demos lately.

Doom 3 was a tech demo, now the console junkies get to drool over tech demos and say they are fun. Sounds like a good thing for everyone :)

Not me... I am a cross-platform gamer and I don't buy into the whole graphics whore thing. But then, I still enjoy playing Sierra and Lucasarts adventure games, and various 80's console games.

Yes Doom3 sucked and We will not miss Mr Carmack in the PC Arena. There are way better games then Doom3. I thought Farcy out of HL2, D3, was the best looking. I can't wait for Farcy 2.

See you l8r Mr Carmack don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

What most people fail to realize, is that Doom 3 was really just a tech demo to show of the new engine.

Draax said:
What most people fail to realize, is that Doom 3 was really just a tech demo to show of the new engine.

Yep. Carmack aint no dummy.
We paid for his engine development, and now he will make uber cash selling the engine to other developers.

rfwinters77 said:
Maybe. But if you really want the best looking game experience, you'd
need to buy an HDTV to get the same quality as a standard CRT monitor.

i dunno about xbox 360 buttt

xbox doesnt even support resolutions that allow for the hdtv to even do anything.

Except the games that support 480 or 720p, which is pretty much all the new games, but thats besides the point as the system is last generation.

The XBOX360 has 720p minimum requirement, and is capable of producing 1080i resolutions.

You Doom 3 haters just suck :)

I honestly feel this is a huge blow as I happen to be a huge Doom 3 fan. With the mods that are starting to surface, it's going to be a game that will be fun for a long time to come. However, if there is anyone out there that can unlock every last horsepower in the Xbox360, this is the guy qualified to do it. I'm also happy to hear this as i'm going to gradually move my gaming over to the xbox 360 for the most part. Doesn't mean i'll stop gaming on a PC, but it may happen since most of my favorite games will now be on the new xbox. This is going to be a trend that we will see with more developers, as even Gabe Newell and Valve as well as others are dabbling with consoles. The market potential is clearly there, and when coupled with a simpler platform, it's a win-win situation for them. You guys complain about how long it takes for decent games to come out for PC's, and that's very true. For a while, consoles got ports of popular PC games, but the market is slowly turning where PC's will simply start getting console ports.

CmaN3 said:
I say good riddance, as others have also said. Yes, doom3 was pretty. But it was a very simple game. You are this guy. Kill all the mutant freeks. Oh yea and its dark and scary.

Let him go make mediocre games for consoles, see if I care :)

EchoMatrix said:

perhaps the stuipest comment ever made in history, congrats

Junehhan, don't worry - since the games will be coming out for X360, you can expect them on PC 6-12 months later, no doubt.

Not so sure on that one. The XBOX360 doesn't have as much in common with PCs as the XBOX, with the triple core stuff.. right?

KillerMonkey said:
Not so sure on that one. The XBOX360 doesn't have as much in common with PCs as the XBOX, with the triple core stuff.. right?

Yeh, but that XBOX360 has the XNA platform, which when utilitzed supposedly allows devs to easily and quickly port between XBOX360 and PC.

Bruce, you're not in the minority. A lot of people bought Doom 3. But aside from the atmosphere and graphics, most of us found it to be a lackluster game, nothing that brought forward the genre in any way whatsoever.

As soon as DX10 comes out, I bet you'll see cross-platform X360/PC development and simultaneous release - nevermind porting. lol

The X360 will likely have the most ports to PC because of its hardware platform, and the fact that it's Microsoft (why not, when they can make money elsewhere?!) and that is one of the reasons I didn't get an XBox this gen.

steviep said:
The X360 will likely have the most ports to PC because of its hardware platform, and the fact that it's Microsoft (why not, when they can make money elsewhere?!) and that is one of the reasons I didn't get an XBox this gen.

And XNA tools. :p

The thing i think most people don't realize about doom 3 was it was SUPPOSED to be a remake of the original....

...which was nothing but running around killing stuff.

...and oh yeah, you were on mars, and there was this hell gate thing, blah blah blah...

point is, doom3 = doom1 in terms of gameplay, which is what i think ID was going for.

Well if this means more games and newer engines (and less failed attempts at space orbit) then sweet. Bring on Doom 4 and Quake 5 (since I'll be having an PC, XBox 360 and a PS3).

John Carmak FTW!!!

Brucee said:
I think doom 3 was good...

I agree, and thats a good point that Doom 3 is really just a remake of the original. What I really find ironic, is how some of these Doom 3 haters for some reason find a way to praise games like Painkiller or even Serious Sam. Both games were painfully boring, while Doom 3 was just plain intense.

I've originally planned on leaving the PC gaming scene with the introduction of the Xbox360, but now i'm conflicted. With a PC, you have a chance to experience gameplay and graphics that are constantly ahead of the console curve, but it also costs a lot of money building up your rig. With the xbox360, you have no option of upgrading, but at least you are never outdated till the next generation of consoles hit the market. You never need to worry about trying to upgrade to the next big graphics card, and so on. However, the gaming interface on the PC is what has kept me on the platform so far. Yes yes I know you can get one of those things that lets you plug a keyboard and mouse to an xbox, but i'm just not in a mood to constantly tweak something to get it to perform correctly. The best part with a console though, is that you plunk $400 down, and never need to worry about upgrading any components to play the latest games, except for a new controller every now and then due to normal wear.

paranoia4422 said:
huh?dont stire up the !!!!!!s now
I remember he said something to the effect that the "PS3 will probably become the primary platform." It will be a console either way. And yes, this forum is riddled with fan boys.

Staples said:
I remember he said something to the effect that the "PS3 will probably become the primary platform." It will be a console either way. And yes, this forum is riddled with fan boys.
of course,sony has the largest fan base now and chances are it might continue on to the next gen because"omg w00t ps2 was so beautiful on launch(looked like shit,like the beggining of all gens)likez omgz ps3z will 0wn because ps2 was s000 mucH bEtter"

Back