case fan question

ianc

Weaksauce
On a fan without a visible directional arrow, how can you tell which way to install it to get the airflow in the correct direction? I have an 80mm front intake fan which I'v installed with the label pointing into the case. My other case is done the same way, but it had little raised arrows on the fan as indicators. Thanks...

Plug it in and put your hand infront / behind then you'll know the direction : )

ianc said:
On a fan without a visible directional arrow, how can you tell which way to install it to get the airflow in the correct direction? I have an 80mm front intake fan which I'v installed with the label pointing into the case. My other case is done the same way, but it had little raised arrows on the fan as indicators. Thanks...

if there is a CAGE [maybe 3 or 4 little plastic bars ] inside the fan houseing ,,,
whatever side those bars are on , that is the direction of airflow .
hope that helps .
cheers .
Picture.jpg

littlejohn1959 said:
if there is a CAGE [maybe 3 or 4 little plastic bars ] inside the fan houseing ,,,
whatever side those bars are on , that is the direction of airflow .
<snip>

I thought it was the other way around. The side without the bar is the direction of airflow. Correct me if I'm wrong anyone!

All of my Antec fans flow the way littlejohn said, as do my Coolermaster fans....

All of the fans I have owned work in the way littlejohn says but worse comes to worse if you mount it wrong, you will know and can fix it easily.

Thanks for the help....I lucked out and put it in the right way. Its an older case that was originally a P3-733 and the front intake fan sits in a plastic housing that can only come off if both case sides and the front bezel are removed so powering it up and testing to find out I had it the wrong way would have been somewhat inconvenient to correct. :)

ianc said:
Thanks for the help....I lucked out and put it in the right way. Its an older case that was originally a P3-733 and the front intake fan sits in a plastic housing that can only come off if both case sides and the front bezel are removed so powering it up and testing to find out I had it the wrong way would have been somewhat inconvenient to correct. :)
Why not just hold in your hand while powering it up....? :confused:

All you need to do is plug the fan in and hold it up and put your hand out to feel which way the air is going.

Back