Case Fans

DuffMan72

Limp Gawd
I'm a complete newbie when it comes to cooling, so don't mind if I sound a bit stupid.

My CPU runs a little warm on full load, and with my case closed, it runs even warmer. So I decided to remove the side cases, which reduced the temperature by one or two degrees at most. The reason: I have no extra fans on my case, as there is no way to mount them, unless I mod the case (which I plan on doing). So I'm wondering how these case fans work. Do they blow air towards the computer, or do they just help suck the hot air out of the case?

You usualy see one 120mm or two 80mm fans on the lower front of a case sucking in air. To create crossflow, use one or two 80mm fans or a single 120mm fan at the upper rear sucking air back out.

Another 80mm, 92mm, or 120mm exhaust fan on top is becomeing popular, as it helps to remove the heat that builds up in the roof of the case.

Try to use 120mm fans wherever you can, they run quieter and give the same (or better) airflow.

What kind of tower do you have, and what fans where? We need to know so we can help you the best. :)

As Unknown-One says, generally cases have fans in front sucking air in, fans in back blowing air out, and fans on top blowing air out. I'm not sure about side fans, as I have none on my Lian-Li PC-71.

General Crespin said:
I'm not sure about side fans, as I have none on my Lian-Li PC-71.
Side fans offer interesting airflow patterns; for instance, you can set all of your fans as intakes (Front, rear, and top fans) and have one or two fans in the middle of the side of your case as the only source of exhausting air…but this only tends to make a positive change in larger cases where a “whirlpool” airflow pattern can form properly.

Smaller cases should stick with the front to back arrangement I mentioned in my last post, but if they have side fans they should be configured as intakes to draw in more air directly over the CPU or GPU.

Negative air pressure within the case also improves cooling IMO. Slinghtly more air leaving than entering.

Good cool airflow across the components and CPU is the main thing to work towards.

What is a little warm?? Or rather what temps does it idle at and what temps does it run at under load. A little warm is no help. What fan arrangement do you have now? Any? What case are you running in? What cpu do you run? What mobo do you run it on? What is your current Heatsink/Fan? You have not really given us anything to work with.

WZ

Assuming your case hard drives are in the front of the case, the best air flow configuration is still traditional front-to-back, providing air flow over all components.

Side-vents provide a side-to-exhaust flow path that reduces cooling air flow over your hard drives, resulting in warm drive temps and also adding to case noise.

Negative internal case pressure can stall air flow through your PS, causing PS overheating. If PS fans are thermal-controlled, the PS fan will run at higher speeds to compensate for warm PS temps.;

Reducing air flow restriction always helps. Examine for:
- Restrictive case fan grills.
- Restrictive filter media.
- Restrictive case front bezel.
- Restrictive internal hardware, such as side-mount hard drive cages.

If you're stuck with 80mm case fans, replace them with higher-flow models.

Hope this helps!

What is a little warm?? Or rather what temps does it idle at and what temps does it run at under load. A little warm is no help. What fan arrangement do you have now? Any? What case are you running in? What cpu do you run? What mobo do you run it on? What is your current Heatsink/Fan? You have not really given us anything to work with.
-----------------------------------

My overclocked AMD sempron 2800+ (1.6 to 2.0ghz) runs up to 45 degrees celcius under full load (29-30 degrees idle). I don't have any extra fans, as I'm using a generic case. It doesn't even have an intake for the front and an exhaust in the back. I'm using an MSI MS-7030 (k8n-neo v2.0). Stock heatsink/fan. My Geforce 6200 (yeah I know, it isn't good) also runs at 55 degrees under full load.

DuffMan72 said:
45 degrees celcius under full load (29-30 degrees idle).
Ok, so you are just a hair warm at full load, but those temps are well within the comfort zone if you ask me.

Unknown-One said:
Ok, so you are just a hair warm at full load, but those temps are well within the comfort zone if you ask me.

I agree the processor isnt in any danger at those temps.

Back