Case just came, don't know where to put it!

arachn1d

Gawd
Okay, I didn't plan this properly. I got the NZXT Phantom White. I got a white one because my desk is nice and white. Anyway, I was planning to have 3x 24" monitors on the desk and the tower, but that's definitely not going to happen.

The only options I have is to maybe put it behind the monitors, put it below the desk where my feet go (not a ton of room but it'll do), or cabinet inside the desk with door.

1) I feel like the case should be looked at, it's so pretty, so putting it behind monitors or inside the desk feels like a waste.

2) Is it bad to put it inside a desk in the cabinet area with door closed for cooling purposes in mind?

Okay, I didn't plan this properly. I got the NZXT Phantom White. I got a white one because my desk is nice and white. Anyway, I was planning to have 3x 24" monitors on the desk and the tower, but that's definitely not going to happen.

The only options I have is to maybe put it behind the monitors, put it below the desk where my feet go (not a ton of room but it'll do), or cabinet inside the desk with door.

1) I feel like the case should be looked at, it's so pretty, so putting it behind monitors or inside the desk feels like a waste.

2) Is it bad to put it inside a desk in the cabinet area with door closed for cooling purposes in mind?

Congrats! :)

1) if you wish for it to be shown and don't have space on the desk, perhaps you shoud consider buying a shelf/rack or similar in the same style as your desk and put it next to the desk?

2) Its bad in most cases since you are heating up air and then resirculate the same air inside the cabinet.

Congrats! :)

1) if you wish for it to be shown and don't have space on the desk, perhaps you shoud consider buying a shelf/rack or similar in the same style as your desk and put it next to the desk?

2) Its bad in most cases since you are heating up air and then resirculate the same air inside the cabinet.
Is it safe to put a case on a shelf? Wouldn't it be heavy/dangerous? Hmm. Interesting idea though. Could be pretty cool actually.

Is it safe to put a case on a shelf? Wouldn't it be heavy/dangerous? Hmm. Interesting idea though. Could be pretty cool actually.

Depends on the shelf. You can reinforce a shelf, attach shelf to wall so it doesn't tilt etc. :)

You can also consider removing the door of the cabinet. Just make sure that airflow isn't disturbed. The case needs fresh air in and the hot air out.

You should take a picture of your desk. It would make it easier to come with suggestions and idea's. :)

Depends on the shelf. You can reinforce a shelf, attach shelf to wall so it doesn't tilt etc. :)

You can also consider removing the door of the cabinet. Just make sure that airflow isn't disturbed. The case needs fresh air in and the hot air out.

You should take a picture of your desk. It would make it easier to come with suggestions and idea's. :)
1vGjf.jpg

nL90M.jpg

WcONA.jpg

Wft5O.jpg

ZC5jT.jpg

So I could potentially remove the shelf and cabinet door on the right. What about the back of the desk though? I don't know how possible it is to remove that panel back there - I can try but means I'd have to dissemble part of the desk. That's the exhaust though, so maybe that doesn't matter as much?

Otherwise, the only other area I can see it go in is where my feet go under the desk.

So I could potentially remove the shelf and cabinet door on the right. What about the back of the desk though? I don't know how possible it is to remove that panel back there - I can try but means I'd have to dissemble part of the desk. That's the exhaust though, so maybe that doesn't matter as much?

Otherwise, the only other area I can see it go in is where my feet go under the desk.

I would remove the shelf and cabinet door. In addition, I would remove the back plate (which usually are attached with small nails. A screwdriver and back side of hammer should get the plate off quickly). Exhaust matters, since if the hot air can't escape in back, it will move in front and intake fans will then use the hot air again. Besides, since you are going 24"X3, you are going to have a lot of cables. Instead of having a cable mess, you can then manage them behind the desk this way. :)

If you manage to keep everthing in the white/black theme, it might look very nice in the end! :D

Last edited:
I would remove the shelf and cabinet door. In addition, I would remove the back plate (which usually are attached with small nails. A screwdriver and back side of hammer should get the plate off quickly). Exhaust matters, since if the hot air can't escape in back, it will move in front and intake fans will then use the hot air again. Besides, since you are going 24"X3, you are going to have a lot of cables. Instead of having a cable mess, you can then manage them behind the desk this way. :)

If you manage to keep everthing in the white/black theme, it might look very nice in the end! :D
Sounds like a winner. I'll mod the desk to support that then.

So as long as the front and back have airflow outside of the desk I'm pretty good? What about the fan on the side panel? Won't matter as much?

Thanks for your suggestion. I feel good about it. And, yes, trying to keep as much as white/black as possible.

Sounds like a winner. I'll mod the desk to support that then.

So as long as the front and back have airflow outside of the desk I'm pretty good? What about the fan on the side panel? Won't matter as much?

Thanks for your suggestion. I feel good about it. And, yes, trying to keep as much as white/black as possible.

Thats good. :)

As for the side panel fan, there is enough clearance to make sure it gets air in. Best results would be if you would block the back end of the cabinet on each side, so that the air excaused back won't get sucked in by side or front fans. This you can mod by cutting out space on the back plate of the desk after you have taken it off in the shape of the case and then attach it again. Then only back side would be showing out back.

I'd go for a new desk as it doesn't look like you need the cabinet space anyway, it'll be enough for the case and you won't end up hiding it.

I'd go for a new desk as it doesn't look like you need the cabinet space anyway, it'll be enough for the case and you won't end up hiding it.
I just bought this desk. No option for getting a different one. I like it.

Thats good. :)

As for the side panel fan, there is enough clearance to make sure it gets air in. Best results would be if you would block the back end of the cabinet on each side, so that the air excaused back won't get sucked in by side or front fans. This you can mod by cutting out space on the back plate of the desk after you have taken it off in the shape of the case and then attach it again. Then only back side would be showing out back.
Forgot to mention there's a 200mm exhaust fan on the top too... would that be detrimental to the air flow?

Forgot to mention there's a 200mm exhaust fan on the top too... would that be detrimental to the air flow?

As long as the hot air leaves the desk and the case gets fresh cold air from the outside, it doesn't matter. Put the system on some strain (run heaven benchmark while also running prime95 as example) and check the temps after some hours. If they have stabelized within safe limits, the temps are good for long time gaming. :)

Edit:
Heaven benchmark (run it in window with extreme settings, so you can see the temps at the same time)
http://unigine.com/products/heaven/

Prime95 (use Prime95 small FFT test, since the ram is being stressed by heaven):
http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=103

CPUID HWmonitor (to see temps):
http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Remember that the biggest danger isn't just the immediate temp, but temp buildup over time can often make systems unstable, so its good to check like this how it will be during long time gaming.

Last edited:
As long as the hot air leaves the desk and the case gets fresh cold air from the outside, it doesn't matter. Put the system on some strain (run heaven benchmark while also running prime95 as example) and check the temps after some hours. If they have stabelized within safe limits, the temps are good for long time gaming. :)

Edit:
Heaven benchmark (run it in window with extreme settings, so you can see the temps at the same time)
http://unigine.com/products/heaven/

Prime95 (use Prime95 small FFT test, since the ram is being stressed by heaven):
http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=103

CPUID HWmonitor (to see temps):
http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html
Thanks, I appreciate the advice very much.

Just as a guideline, what are some temps I should be shooting for / avoiding?

2500k/p8p67/2x 6950's

140mm in front
3x 120mm side
200mm side
200mm top
140mm back

Thanks, I appreciate the advice very much.

Just as a guideline, what are some temps I should be shooting for / avoiding?

2500k/p8p67/2x 6950's

140mm in front
3x 120mm side
200mm side
200mm top
140mm back

65c or below for CPU, 97C or below for GPU, 45C or below for MB 40C or below for HD should be stable enough in my opinion. Remember that these are heavy load programs that has been run for hours. Normal gaming won't bring you near this (GPU can be hot in some games, but they are build for high temps over long time). :)

Is that a mini fridge or something off to the right of the desk that your ipad is sitting on? Why not set the case on there?

Also you could build a small shelf so that your case sit's sideways on it and mount it to the wall. Im currently building a shelf for my case as i have no room for it on my desk and with that beatufiul case you might as well display it :)

Is that a mini fridge or something off to the right of the desk that your ipad is sitting on? Why not set the case on there?

Also you could build a small shelf so that your case sit's sideways on it and mount it to the wall. Im currently building a shelf for my case as i have no room for it on my desk and with that beatufiul case you might as well display it :)
That thing on the right is my couch arm! Haha.

I think a shelf would be pretty awesome. I'd be willing to try. I'm scared of it being too weak though. Also, I live in a state of earthquakes....

How are you building yours?

65c or below for CPU, 97C or below for GPU, 45C or below for MB 40C or below for HD should be stable enough in my opinion. Remember that these are heavy load programs that has been run for hours. Normal gaming won't bring you near this (GPU can be hot in some games, but they are build for high temps over long time). :)
It's going to be hard for me to cut the wood to fit only case in the back. However friend and I thought we could remove that wood there and just use some thin cardboard to block that area up so only the exhaust on fan and PSU shows. What do you think?

I was also thinking. Since the exahust is on a 200mm fan on top of case, wouldn't that mean the heat would rise and potentially be sucked back in through the side? Hopefully "heat rises" enough that the side fan won't be pulling that in.

Um, didn't u buy a 3011 also? Haha....wall mount!
Yeah I did. The u3011 is for my macbook pro and standing desk though. Not the same desk. The 3 monitors is for "gaming desk." :)

No point in wall mount really - still can't put the case on desk. I thought about it but meh... wall mount seems more annoying than not.

It's going to be hard for me to cut the wood to fit only case in the back. However friend and I thought we could remove that wood there and just use some thin cardboard to block that area up so only the exhaust on fan and PSU shows. What do you think?

I was also thinking. Since the exahust is on a 200mm fan on top of case, wouldn't that mean the heat would rise and potentially be sucked back in through the side? Hopefully "heat rises" enough that the side fan won't be pulling that in.

Using cardboard would work too. :)

You are overthinking this though. Make a stress test with the cabinet standing inside without doors and back. See if that is sufficient and take it from there if its not.

The goal is to make sure that the exhaust air doesn't get trapped inside or that the intake fans will use the hot air instead of fresh cooler air. It doesn't have to do it perfectly, just sufficantly so that the system will be stable.

I have turned down the fans in my system (Silverstone FT02) to 5V for silence, since I don't need them to run on full speed. :)

Pull the desk out and put in some proper cable management on the backside before you put everything in place. Mount the power strip on the backside of the desk as well.

Dude, you have thousands of dollars in hardware and a tiny desk. Why not get a better desk? I would push it to the right against the couch. Then place a small white box on the left of the desk to set the case on.

Pull the desk out and put in some proper cable management on the backside before you put everything in place. Mount the power strip on the backside of the desk as well.

Good idea. What kind of cable management would you suggest?

Dude, you have thousands of dollars in hardware and a tiny desk. Why not get a better desk? I would push it to the right against the couch. Then place a small white box on the left of the desk to set the case on.

I don't have any more room than what you see there. I like the desk size, it's just "right." If I move it against the couch the total space would not be enough to fit the case at all... Maybe half the size of case. I did indeed that about that but it wouldn't be enough for the case at all.

how about "adding to your desk"

ie, not sure how crafty or handy you are, but you can get some sturdy L brackets and add an extension to your desk that goes right across the hand rest of your couch, and you can use that area to set your case on...

but this is a BIG if, since I am not sure if your desk is made of composite wood or is solid to hold that kind of weight

how about "adding to your desk"

ie, not sure how crafty or handy you are, but you can get some sturdy L brackets and add an extension to your desk that goes right across the hand rest of your couch, and you can use that area to set your case on...

but this is a BIG if, since I am not sure if your desk is made of composite wood or is solid to hold that kind of weight

Yeah, that things looks composite. The L brackets would tear right out of it.

I wouldnt put it under your desk it to nice looking of a case to hide. In the pictures it looks like u have 4-6 inches of space on each side of your desk could you build a small stand the same size as your desk and and it to one side to give you a lil more desk space. Edit... Sorry i See this has allready been said.

Last edited:
Funny, I was thinking of getting this case when I buy my SB build parts. That thing is a BEAST! It's absolutely gorgeous, though. Good thing I'm moving to a new apartment soon and can get my godmother's massive computer desk. I couldn't possibly fit that thing into my current computer area.

L brackets would only tear out of the desk if you used the cheap ass wood screws that are intended to be used (most of the time) with it. For the desk, get some #10 machine screws, some fender washers, and some nyloc nuts, and drill right through the side. Bigger OD washers, like fender washers, will spread the weight of the pull across a larger area, and make it so that it won't rip through.

You could also mod the door to the cabinet with a couple 120mm fans, toward the bottom, where I assume the air flows into your case, and in the back toward the top, where the exhaust air is coming out. That way, you can put the door back on, and have a sleeker look to the desk. All you'll need is 4 fans, a drill, a 5" hole saw (Harbor Freight has a cheap set, suitable for the desk material, that goes from 2.5" up to 5", with a case to hold them all, for $8.00), and an old power supply to power the fans. You can easily look up how to jumper the 20-pin connector on a power supply, to turn it on, and just install a switch for easy power on/off of the fans. :cool:

L brackets would only tear out of the desk if you used the cheap ass wood screws that are intended to be used (most of the time) with it. For the desk, get some #10 machine screws, some fender washers, and some nyloc nuts, and drill right through the side. Bigger OD washers, like fender washers, will spread the weight of the pull across a larger area, and make it so that it won't rip through.

You could also mod the door to the cabinet with a couple 120mm fans, toward the bottom, where I assume the air flows into your case, and in the back toward the top, where the exhaust air is coming out. That way, you can put the door back on, and have a sleeker look to the desk. All you'll need is 4 fans, a drill, a 5" hole saw (Harbor Freight has a cheap set, suitable for the desk material, that goes from 2.5" up to 5", with a case to hold them all, for $8.00), and an old power supply to power the fans. You can easily look up how to jumper the 20-pin connector on a power supply, to turn it on, and just install a switch for easy power on/off of the fans. :cool:
That's a really cool idea. I'd be willing to try that. That wouldn't trap hot air in there? Sounds like fun.

Back