Catalyst 9.7 released!!

The link says 9.6. Did they take them down?

Never mind. The actual driver links say 9.7.

are you guys just uninstalling from add/remove programs(programs and features in Vista/win 7) or are you using a tool?

I'm running good right now with 9.5. I'll wait until my Windows 7 install on August 6. ;)

Looks like this is mainly a bugfix release. The list of performance enhancements is practically empty. A shame, I was hoping for ArmA 2 improvements in Crossfire configurations.

They changed where everything is in CCC. Damn it!

No, they didn't. They merely converted the left-side cascading menu into a drop-down menu. It's a terrible design choice, but not necessarily a location change.

Is it really okay to do that?

Yes. Terry Makedon, head of the Catalyst programming team, confirmed this a long time ago. Just install on top of your old drivers, you'll be fine.

I checked the driver version numbers, these are newer than the ones that have leaked.

is there no 9.7 for Win XP? it links to 9.6, but for Vista and 7 it's 9.7,
is Win XP no longer supported in future versions?
I triple boot XP, Vista and Win 7 RC, but I play most games in XP... how sad

update: nevermind, read the twitter feed on the site that says "...Full updates coming tomorrow for XP and driver selector pages"

Got a really nice boost in Warhammer Online with these. Could be a combo of these drivers + game patch.

Fancy seeing you here Stanley Pain :)

Day and night difference in WAR and GTA4 for my computer, 5200+ with 3 gigs of DDR2 and a 3870. Haven't had the chance to try a keep/fort siege yet but I expect that to go smoother as well, Scenarios were smooth, flawless, above 30-35 at all times.

On the day of a very good WAR patch too, great!

Thanks for the heads-up. I'm hoping these are better than 9.6. Had too many game crashing issues even on a clean install.

Stream Encoding now works for Windows 7 x64 and Cyberlink just released an update on their site today which means I can use both CUDA and Stream to encode my videos now under Windows 7 :)

I also really like the new look of the CCC. Much cleaner and as I use both it and the nVIDIA Control Panel I have to say that the new CCC completely destroys the nVIDIA control panel.

Yes. Terry Makedon, head of the Catalyst programming team, confirmed this a long time ago. Just install on top of your old drivers, you'll be fine.

Apparently not in XP...
I updated from 9.6 rebooted and can't enter Windows, and can't even enter safe mode, it gives me the blue screen, thankfully I can boot just fine when I choose "Enable VGA Mode" (which indicates the problem is with the display driver), uninstalled Catalyst, restart and reinstall Catalyst 9.7

Looks like the new CCC interface is just for Vista and 7, but not in XP... ?

Day and night difference in WAR and GTA4 for my computer

same here, I usually get several frame drops in GTA, the lowest used to be 15fps, which made me stop playing GTA for fun for a while (frame drops are no fun),
now it's stable at 45 to 50 fps, with lowest frame rate is around 35fps and maximum 60fps (of course, with v-sync on).
a little texture problem at first start, but now it runs fine, probably caching problem.

Last edited:
Fancy seeing you here Stanley Pain :)

Day and night difference in WAR and GTA4 for my computer, 5200+ with 3 gigs of DDR2 and a 3870. Haven't had the chance to try a keep/fort siege yet but I expect that to go smoother as well, Scenarios were smooth, flawless, above 30-35 at all times.

On the day of a very good WAR patch too, great!

Hey man, good to see you here too :D

Yeah, the patch + new catalyst drivers have brought some very nice performance gains in WAR. I can actually participate in a zerg with most of the settings @ max now :eek:

The new CCC is fucking retarded, I need to curse and call it retarded to say what I feel about it because it is slow and stupid, what the hell was wrong with the tree view CCC? I've browsed many forums about opinions on the new CCC and I see people loving it, calling the old tree view CCC too complicated and difficult. I guess Nvidia ControlPanel simplicity was what they wanted and here they are.

I'd go as far and say that the new CCC doesn't bother me that much. It's def. a step back in terms of UI usability in my opinion, but I'm not in there often enough to complain. What I REALLY want is a better per-application profiler.

I'd go as far and say that the new CCC doesn't bother me that much. It's def. a step back in terms of UI usability in my opinion, but I'm not in there often enough to complain. What I REALLY want is a better per-application profiler.

Yeah I second that. I dunno who's going into CCC on a daily basis to do stuff where the UI is that big of an issue. It's crap, but it's crap I only have to deal with... pretty much never.

Does it fix the DX10 scaling issue on HDTVs (forces scaling on and shrinks the image!!)?

You've always been able to fix this by enabling 1080p (standard) under the HDTV options.

I don't know why its like that, I can set my desktop resolution to 1920x1080 without it. For whatever reason DX10 games won't display 1920x1080 properly unless you do it though.

You've always been able to fix this by enabling 1080p (standard) under the HDTV options.

I don't know why its like that, I can set my desktop resolution to 1920x1080 without it. For whatever reason DX10 games won't display 1920x1080 properly unless you do it though.

Have done that but I still get black bars in DX10 games.

Have done that but I still get black bars in DX10 games.

Black box/bars all around or just bars on the sides?

I'll check my settings when I get home, but IIRC all I had to do was enable 1080p and it fixed the issue for me on multiple cards (Radeon 4870 and a 4890).

Anyone had issues using an HDTV with these drivers? With 9.6 on my Vista x64 laptop I could select 1360x768 for the HDTV plugged in via HDMI, then adjust the under/overscan to get rid of the black bars on each side so it filled the whole screen.

Now with these new 9.7's if I select 1360x768 then under/overscan slider is greyed out. Best I can do is select 1280x720 and use under/overscan to make it almost fill the whole TV but the images look grainy/pixelated since I'm not at the TV's true resolution.

Any suggestions?

Black box/bars all around or just bars on the sides?

I'll check my settings when I get home, but IIRC all I had to do was enable 1080p and it fixed the issue for me on multiple cards (Radeon 4870 and a 4890).

I enabled it and I still get black bars on all sides. I guess my next card is gonna be nvidia...

my CCC looks the same as before

not sure if I missed something, but CCC is reporting that it's running Catalyst 9.7

my CCC looks the same as before

not sure if I missed something, but CCC is reporting that it's running Catalyst 9.7

Are you running Windows XP? Apparently the new layout is only for Vista/Win 7.

I enabled it and I still get black bars on all sides. I guess my next card is gonna be nvidia...

Whatever settings the game is using (resolution, refresh, color depth, etc), you need to change your desktop to those exact settings and go to the underscan/overscan correction and change it to remove the black bars (likely 0%, I have absolutely no idea why the drivers default to 15% but they always have) then just apply it.

You may need to do that for every single possible resolution and refresh you use.

Let me know if that works.

I have absolutely no idea why the drivers default to 15% but they always have

Because most TVs are automatically set to slightly overscan images. On Samsung TVs, for example, setting the view to 16:9 mode will result in overscan, while the Just Scan setting will eliminate the overscan. ATi compensates for this by setting overscan to 15% in software, which makes the output image look correct on what are usually overscan-enabled displays.

It's a perfectly logical and correct decision on ATi's part.

I get the black bars all around my screen on my desktop at 1080p. If I enable GPU scaling they go away, I didn't have to do this with previous drivers.

Yeah I second that. I dunno who's going into CCC on a daily basis to do stuff where the UI is that big of an issue. It's crap, but it's crap I only have to deal with... pretty much never.

I am still getting used to the new CCC.

Man its really annoying the new little "please wait while applying new settings" dialog box... even changing the manual fan settings it takes 4-5 seconds to clear out of the way... WTF

I get the black bars all around my screen on my desktop at 1080p. If I enable GPU scaling they go away, I didn't have to do this with previous drivers.

Make sure your Overscan is set properly.

Back