Catch a Ride on the World’s Fastest Roller Coaster

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Speed junkies unite. The newest technology is making possible a rollercoaster that can hit 150 miles per hour right out of the gate in 4.9 seconds. The Formula Rossa is the centerpiece of the new theme park in Abu Dhabi and is the world’s fastest coaster. Check out the video for a front seat ride.

Friggin' awesome :D Might have to visit the middle east just for this!

Very much agree with this one. Rather tame as compared to other coasters. Speed != "thrilling". No upside down, no twists... rather... flat?

Gotta remember how modest they are over there. It be awfully embarassing to have a burka fly open in a loop. You might see her bombs.

I bet that 110 degree air hitting your face at 150mph feels awesome!! Idiots....:rolleyes:

Its fast out of the gate but seems to be rather boring after that.

This. I don't understand coasters that develop so much speed, and then just waste it all. Hell, even some traditional coasters with big hills do it. There is one at Magic Mountain near me called Goliath that's like this. Nice big drop which is great, but then the rest is just a bunch of turns and hills. I could take a nap after the first drop. There is also a section at the top of a hill with brakes to slow you down before the next drop. Sorry, but if a coaster needs brakes anywhere except at the end (and a few emergency braking zones for safety), then you're doing it wrong. Don't waste that speed, use it up in a loop or corkscrew or something. Sure it costs more money, but it makes for a better ride that lasts longer. Hell, Goliath throws away so much speed that they could probably make the ride twice as long and add some loops into the mix. The ONLY exception to this I think is wooden coasters. Much of the thrill in those is the roughness of the ride and the air time you get going over the top of hills at speed.

If it stayed at 150 MPH throughout the entire ride and had loops, I would fly there for it :D.

No quick turns, bunny hills, loops or corkscrews. If I was over there I'd give it a try just to say I had ridden it.

holy crap that is by far the fastest slowest roller coaster in the world.. wtf! lame. it will probably be taken down in a year or two and replaced by a much better roller coaster.

Glad a good deal of our economy is going to fund silly things like this, nice Ferrari based amusement park...

Oh yeah, that rollercoaster looks like it sucks major dog penis, sure it gets fast which about the only thrilling part, and hell I can do without loops even if there are good dips and turns, but geezus that coaster looked like it barely got over those last two camel humps (is that racist to say? :p), in fact it looked like it just barely got over every hill.

to be fair at the speeds they are advertising you can't so the loops and dips like in slower coasters. Coasters are a physics nightmare, so to be safe I understand why it would be so vanilla.

But I can go 150 on my motorcycle if I really wanted to go that fast.

This is where Garfield mailed Nermal (Abu Dhabi). Frequent flyer miles?

Looks a lot like Top Thrill Dragster at Cedar point. It's not quite as fast, but 0-120 in 3.8 seconds is about the quickest acceleration I'll ever experience. It's the shortest coaster I've ever been on, but there is nothing like that launch.

EXACTLY!! That coaster looks like a total snooze-fest. No thanks...:rolleyes:

150MPH on a bike would be sweet. I had a GSXR600 and drove the things pretty wildly up to the speed limit, it was a rush for the 2-3 seconds :D. I was to terrified of getting a speeding ticket or being another article in the newspaper.

150MPH on a bike would be sweet. I had a GSXR600 and drove the things pretty wildly up to the speed limit, it was a rush for the 2-3 seconds :D. I was to terrified of getting a speeding ticket or being another article in the newspaper.

I got to drive my brothers GRXR750 too, and that thing was wicket fast across the whole RPM range.

Boring. The Titan at Six Flags Over Texas is way more fun than that kiddie ride.

And why wasn't the video in high def? Was this roller coaster built in 1972?

Don't worry, Cedar Point will most likely reclaim the top spot in 2012. Their new ride in 2011 will be some tall tower spinning ride called WindSeeker (yeah, so exciting), but in 2012 it will have been 5 years since their latest coaster, Maverick, opened so they should be due for another record breaker since it will have been 9 years since Top Thrill Dragster opened (which lost its record to slightly faster and taller Kingda Ka in 2005).

Don't worry, Cedar Point will most likely reclaim the top spot in 2012. Their new ride in 2011 will be some tall tower spinning ride called WindSeeker (yeah, so exciting), but in 2012 it will have been 5 years since their latest coaster, Maverick, opened so they should be due for another record breaker since it will have been 9 years since Top Thrill Dragster opened (which lost its record to slightly faster and taller Kingda Ka in 2005).

cedar point owns. went there in 2003 i think. waited 3 hours in line to get on Millennium Force and damn was it worth the 3 hours. That ride was bad ass! one day i need to go back.

no way that was 150mph and over all BORING coaster... we have many in central FL that blow that out of the water...

Looks a lot like Top Thrill Dragster at Cedar point. It's not quite as fast, but 0-120 in 3.8 seconds is about the quickest acceleration I'll ever experience. It's the shortest coaster I've ever been on, but there is nothing like that launch.

+1. Been there, done that :cool::cool: :D

I went to Ferrari worlds' pre-launch a couple of weeks ago ... my friend got me a ticket and to be quite honest it's quite lame. This ride wasn't open yet which disappointed a lot of people.

The place is huge and to be honest the most fun I had was the simulator ...

The ride does look awesome and I know that a few of you that are trashing it would probably not say what you just said if you had experienced it. I can bet the G-Forces applied on your body would be more than you have ever experienced.

I bet that 110 degree air hitting your face at 150mph feels awesome!! Idiots....:rolleyes:

AHAHAHAHAHAHA

110 if your lucky at night :D

More like 130 with the feeling of a hot blow dryer blowing small particles of sand in your face. :D

[RIP]Zeus;1036394581 said:
AHAHAHAHAHAHA

110 if your lucky at night :D

More like 130 with the feeling of a hot blow dryer blowing small particles of sand in your face. :D

That's why they provide you with goggles ... to protect your eyes ... They were extremely uncomfortable.

Nope, doesn't look very fast except for the very beginning. Try the Aerosmith coaster at Disney.

Without having experienced the coaster first hand, I wouldn't be so quick to doubt the quality of the ride.

The degree of the turns may have been small, but if the speed is high, you'll still turn into a puddle at the bottom of the car.

And another point of view, do many people in the middle east have experience riding roller coasters? Maybe they had to tame it to keep it for the population of the region.

That's it? All that money and they couldn't make something better? Might be 150mph in 4.9 seconds, but it looks to be about 20mph for the other 90 seconds.

I had to laugh at this.

maryjane.jpg

Cool coaster by the way, not that I'd ever ride one of those death traps.

agreed on how boring that coaster is... i've ridden a coaster that goes 0-120mph in <4 secs and it at least had the (at the time) biggest hill in the world right after that (~420ft)...

top thrill dragster... too bad the ride time is WAY too short and that was all that was to it....

even that ride makes this one look lame

That's the lamest coaster /speed ratio i've ever seen.
Why in the world wouldn't they improve on the Top Thrill Dragster approach?

Launch= awesome
400+ft hill = awesome,

then what, end of the ride?

They have a tremendous amount of speed left to complete another 2 minutes of hills/loops/curves.

Title should be.

Catch a ride on the worlds most painful blow dryer. :D

Lived here for 5 months now, time to go home. Ahhh!!!!

Back