CBHD Leads Market Share over Blu-ray in China

doesn't need to anyway. china has enough consumers to get it going :)

Yep. Doesn't China make up 1/4 of the worlds population? Looks like a good market to exploit for profit. Make a new format (or copy one that already exists...) and sell it for a fraction of the cost the rest of us pay. Sounds like China isn't the only one that's saying "fuk bluray's bullshit". :)

I'm glad to hear it. I HATE everything about Blu-Ray. From the overly-complex technology, to who owns it, to all the corporate shenanigans that allowed it to win over the, IMHO, better-for-consumers HDTV.

I hope BR and Sony gets their asses kicked back to the stone-age.

Damn, no edit...

I meant HD-DVD at the end of my first sentence, of course.

Umm everything that the government of China pushes will be the leading product. Just like their search engines, because it's not exactly like the government plays fair.

I'm glad to hear it. I HATE everything about Blu-Ray. From the overly-complex technology, to who owns it, to all the corporate shenanigans that allowed it to win over the, IMHO, better-for-consumers HDTV.

I hope BR and Sony gets their asses kicked back to the stone-age.

Who owns it?

Sony, Matsushita, Pioneer, Philips, Thomson, LG Electronics, Hitachi, Sharp, Samsung, Apple, TDK, Dell, Hewlett Packard, The Walt Disney Company, 20th Century Fox, Sun Microsystems, Intel, Warner Bros. and Universal Music Group

So if you HATE everything about it and who owns it, it's time for you to start practicing what you are preaching and ditch your ipod, processor, music, ditch your movies that you watch, if you use an LCD monitor or TV, ditch that too... because most it will most likely be owned by one of those companies.

Nothing pisses me off more than arrogant posts bashing a list of companies all while using the companies products and trouncing it around in your sig.

my two cents.

I feel a Wal-mart involvement. We have a recession. What am I going to sell you on a reduced income.... Most people have some type of Big screen "HD" ready tv. Some may even be getting rid of cable or internet access to save $. So people may not be able to DL a movie until the economy turns around.

So I repackage a proven format at a price cheaper than the only other item that can claim "HD" level / quality. Now if I can get a player and disks out before Christmas where someone out shopping don't want to look cheap by get and "older" DVD and save $ at the same time ........ sounds like a winner to me.

In addition, what if the next XBox or WII has either a built in player or make a an external one to work with current game systems... (or get a deal with Netflix / Blockbuster)

It sounds like there is $$$ to be made.

(Other thoughts)

is it compatible with the past HD DVD players out there already?

Will it survive in the mail better that Blu-ray ? (seeing netflix having problems with mailing out Blu-ray disks)

I know now when my wife is watching a non HD channel and we have that same channel in HD I freak out. (its such a big screen to be wasted with what use to be tv quality)

I have been itching the last two years to go HD for my movie watching yet I am still using a standard DVD player that came with the surround sound.

Im guessing this goes beyond just pricing and more with the fact that the Chinese would rather produce their own media formats instead of purchasing anything japanese made, or it can be that China striclty wants to become a 100% consumer of chinese products and 100% exporter.

Someone getting food on my taxes shouldn't be wasting money on Office for their home.

But it's ok for people in other countries to get the software at lower prices, while you still foot the cost of a full license in the good old US of A?

Does anyone find the humor in China trying to impose copy protection?

Who owns it?

Sony, Matsushita, Pioneer, Philips, Thomson, LG Electronics, Hitachi, Sharp, Samsung, Apple, TDK, Dell, Hewlett Packard, The Walt Disney Company, 20th Century Fox, Sun Microsystems, Intel, Warner Bros. and Universal Music Group

So if you HATE everything about it and who owns it, it's time for you to start practicing what you are preaching and ditch your ipod, processor, music, ditch your movies that you watch, if you use an LCD monitor or TV, ditch that too... because most it will most likely be owned by one of those companies.

Nothing pisses me off more than arrogant posts bashing a list of companies all while using the companies products and trouncing it around in your sig.

my two cents.

I criticize the government, but I haven't moved out of the country. :rolleyes:

Just because you dislike a company, or wished for something like BluRay not succeeding for whatever reason does not mean that you have to forsake everything related to the sentiment.

Nothing pisses me off more than indignant posts bashing a person over inane bullshit that had to be blown out of proportion in one's own mind before such an outburst could have even occurred.

i hate bluray and all but come on guys how can you root for the freaken chinese government

What should they be wasting their money on, Great Mighty Taxpayer?? Please enlighten us.

They shouldn't be wasting their money period. I grew up on government cheese and food stamps. My mother didn't waste money on things she didn't absolutely need. She went to work and cut corners where she had to to pay the bills. That is exactly what they should be doing. There was none of this "oh shit I can't pay the rent but I need me some rims."

How much noticeable difference is there between an HDDVD encoded movie and a BluRay movie? I'm gonna say none at these resolutions, unless you are talking complete series' being on a single disc.

Resolution is only one thing you gain from all of that extra storage space.

Bleeding in reds, pixellation in shadows and blacks, motion artifacts, these are all things that are reduced or eliminated with higher bitrate encodings.

A Blu Ray disc viewed on a standard definition TV set will look better than the same on DVD even though you aren't getting the benefit of the HD pixel count, and it has everything to do with improved color accuracy and reduced compression artifacts.

HD-DVD looks fantastic, but even then there are still films out there with compression issues that can be solved if limited space wasn't an issue. This can happen now that the ceiling for storage space has been raised. And as I said earlier, it was like that from the start with audio since Blu Ray has always had the extra room for lossless or uncompressed audio tracks.

For now and certainly for the future, having higher storage capacity is a massive plus. Blu Ray launched incomplete, absolutely, but it has been feature complete with HD-DVD since Fall of 2007, almost two years ago! People need to let this go, it hasn't been an issue for a very long time. We have an amazing home theater format, the best ever (coming from an early adopter of Laserdisc, DVD, and HD-DVD), and it is sad that peoples' irrational hatred of a brand is keeping them from buying it. Stupid.

Im guessing this goes beyond just pricing and more with the fact that the Chinese would rather produce their own media formats instead of purchasing anything japanese made, or it can be that China striclty wants to become a 100% consumer of chinese products and 100% exporter.

This is 100% spot on. Why pay for MPEG licenses when you just sidestep it with your own government issued standard?

This is 100% spot on. Why pay for MPEG licenses when you just sidestep it with your own government issued standard?

Bingo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Somebody finally see's it.

China isn't interested in "playing fair". China is simply bypassing bullshyt.

Fukit! Go China!

Bingo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Somebody finally see's it.

China isn't interested in "playing fair". China is simply bypassing bullshyt.

Fukit! Go China!

Why does playing fair involve paying for product when they have the tools to build product? That's precisely what a lot of businesses do. Don't want to pay for MS Office? Use OpenOffice. Don't want to buy expensive software like Photoshop for small things? Use something like Paint .NET. It's business as usual.

Resolution is only one thing you gain from all of that extra storage space.

Bleeding in reds, pixellation in shadows and blacks, motion artifacts, these are all things that are reduced or eliminated with higher bitrate encodings.

A Blu Ray disc viewed on a standard definition TV set will look better than the same on DVD even though you aren't getting the benefit of the HD pixel count, and it has everything to do with improved color accuracy and reduced compression artifacts.

HD-DVD looks fantastic, but even then there are still films out there with compression issues that can be solved if limited space wasn't an issue. This can happen now that the ceiling for storage space has been raised. And as I said earlier, it was like that from the start with audio since Blu Ray has always had the extra room for lossless or uncompressed audio tracks.

For now and certainly for the future, having higher storage capacity is a massive plus. Blu Ray launched incomplete, absolutely, but it has been feature complete with HD-DVD since Fall of 2007, almost two years ago! People need to let this go, it hasn't been an issue for a very long time. We have an amazing home theater format, the best ever (coming from an early adopter of Laserdisc, DVD, and HD-DVD), and it is sad that peoples' irrational hatred of a brand is keeping them from buying it. Stupid.

You just used DVD vs. BluRay as a lead up to baselessly say HD-DVD is noticeably substandard to HD-DVD, which is just ridiculously disingenuous. Yes, BluRay has more space, but at these high resolutions and high bit-rates and large capacities, the compression efficiency skyrockets and these "comparisons" become largely irrelevant for HD-DVD vs. BluRay. So, like I said, at current HD resolutions, there is really no discernible difference between HD-DVD and BluRay in quality, merely technical specifications, unless you are trying to fit entire seasons onto single discs in HD and run out of space.

Newsflash, you are a troll... you criticize everything :rolleyes:

Nope, just things that need it.

Why does playing fair involve paying for product when they have the tools to build product? That's precisely what a lot of businesses do. Don't want to pay for MS Office? Use OpenOffice. Don't want to buy expensive software like Photoshop for small things? Use something like Paint .NET. It's business as usual.

China isn't just using open source software. :rolleyes:

You just used DVD vs. BluRay as a lead up to baselessly say HD-DVD is noticeably substandard to HD-DVD, which is just ridiculously disingenuous. Yes, BluRay has more space, but at these high resolutions and high bit-rates and large capacities, the compression efficiency skyrockets and these "comparisons" become largely irrelevant for HD-DVD vs. BluRay. So, like I said, at current HD resolutions, there is really no discernible difference between HD-DVD and BluRay in quality, merely technical specifications, unless you are trying to fit entire seasons onto single discs in HD and run out of space.

Ok, and what is wrong with fitting things like more content and lossless audio onto a single disc? You are getting into a serious point of diminishing returns with video quality at those file sizes and bitrates, absolutely, but all things between Blu Ray and HD-DVD being the same (and they are the same, have been for a very long time), I'm glad that the format with higher capacity won.

Is someone going to argue that less space is a positive now? I want to hear it.

Ok, and what is wrong with fitting things like more content and lossless audio onto a single disc? You are getting into a serious point of diminishing returns with video quality at those file sizes and bitrates, absolutely, but all things between Blu Ray and HD-DVD being the same (and they are the same, have been for a very long time), I'm glad that the format with higher capacity won.

Is someone going to argue that less space is a positive now? I want to hear it.

Nothing is wrong with having more space, hypothetically. However, running around saying all the movies are saved now that they are on BluRay is fucking stupid. So is being disingenuous and saying "what is wrong with fitting things like more content and lossless audio onto a single disc?" when you are referring to TV Show seasons, which will be on multiple discs regardless of whether its BluRay or HD-DVD. Until we start having even higher HD resolutions and TV's, the whole argument of the size difference between HD-DVD and BluRay and professing BluRay being relevantly superior is just ignorant.

Nothing is wrong with having more space, hypothetically. However, running around saying all the movies are saved now that they are on BluRay is fucking stupid. So is being disingenuous and saying "what is wrong with fitting things like more content and lossless audio onto a single disc?" when you are referring to TV Show seasons, which will be on multiple discs regardless of whether its BluRay or HD-DVD. Until we start having even higher HD resolutions and TV's, the whole argument of the size difference between HD-DVD and BluRay and professing BluRay being relevantly superior is just ignorant.

Again, I disagree, you're looking at a ceiling for video quality that has been raised now that space isn't an issue. Resolution is only one thing you gain. Reduction in compression artifacts, bleeding of intense colors, motion artifacts, these are all things that high bitrate encodes buy you. There are several HD-DVD and Blu Ray discs out there that suffered in image quality due to having to fit the movie into a certain amount of space. The Game, a very well photographed movie, comes to mind.

Top end HD-DVDs like King Kong pushed the absolute limit of HD-DVD storage space in order to get such a high quality image (it is still one of the best looking HD discs out there), but it did it at the expense of lossless audio and extra features. The disc came with none of that and it was purely because there wasn't enough room without compromising the video image. With Blu Ray there is no tradeoff for what you can include on the disc, you can have the highest bitrate video VC-1 and MPEG4 encoding available, lossless audio, and extras, all with no compromise.

A very good friend of mine is one of the top DVD producers out there, he did the uber Blade Runner Final Cut restoration and 5 disc set, the Alien Quadrilogy, the Spiderman 2 disc, Gladiator, American Gangster, the upcoming Transformers 2 disc, things like that, and I know he's thrilled with all of the options that Blu Ray gives him in terms of pushing extra features and the best image and audio quality possible.

Again, I don't buy your argument, extra size gets you more content and better quality in every way, plain and simple.

Back