CBS Blocks Time Warner Cable Subscribers Online

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
What started out as a blackout of CBS by Time Warner Cable has now spilled over into the Internet. Time Warner customers are now unable to access programs from CBS.com due to the breakdown in negotiations over cable retransmission fees.

As a result, CBS is blocking broadband-only subscribers from watching its content, along with those who are paying to watch it through their cable subscriptions.

All I have to say is that I'm going to be pissed if I can't watch football the first weekend.

Isn't the net neutrality laws in place to stop stuff like this? Websites blocking content because they don't like your isp?

All I have to say is that I'm going to be pissed if I can't watch football the first weekend.

Well considering I'm from Ohio and forced into being a Browns fan, this could be a good thing for me!

And it's CBS that is the cause of the problems? They want more money?

Just grab an HD antenna, then you'll be all set.

Assuming your local team isn't blacked out to local channels because of some exclusive deal.

And it goes the other way too, my friend bought a year subscription to MLB.tv to watch the Texas Rangers (and we were thinking of doing it too). He said that all of the Rangers games are unavailable to him because part of their rules are that if the game is broadcast by a local affiliate they will not let you watch it through MLB.tv. Well the local radio stations cover every single game. He called up MLB.tv and they said too bad, it was it was in the fine print.

Let's see... Get pissed off at Time Warner, punish your own customers...

No wonder negotiations broke down: they have a child running the company. :rolleyes:

My wife asked how does Dish sound. Right now It's sounding more appealing if they don't get it back. I watch a lot of boxing on Showtime also, so if I'm unable to watch my football or boxing, I'm dropping Time Warner for cable. I wish I had another option for internet. :(

My wife asked how does Dish sound. Right now It's sounding more appealing if they don't get it back. I watch a lot of boxing on Showtime also, so if I'm unable to watch my football or boxing, I'm dropping Time Warner for cable. I wish I had another option for internet. :(

As someone who has had dish, trust me it sounds far better than it is. I couldn't get rid of their crap fast enough.

That said, Screw CBS.

Let's see... Get pissed off at Time Warner, punish your own customers...

No wonder negotiations broke down: they have a child running the company. :rolleyes:

All the media companies are like this. As a TWC customer, I have to go through this about every 6 months with one company or another (Viacom used to do it on an almost annual basis). Although I think this is the worst one in a while. Hope the people who advertise on CBS start pulling their money.

Isn't the net neutrality laws in place to stop stuff like this? Websites blocking content because they don't like your isp?

No, I believe net neutrality would apply in the opposite scenario. ISPs shouldn't be able to block, change or hinder access to internet sites or services.

The site or service and limit access to their service in almost any form they wish.

Net Neutrality is to ensure everyone has access to all services/sites on the internet, so ISPs can't play morality police or shake down services like Netflix when they may have a competing service (aka Comcast streaming) or just want to "create additional revenue".

All the media companies are like this. As a TWC customer, I have to go through this about every 6 months with one company or another (Viacom used to do it on an almost annual basis). Although I think this is the worst one in a while. Hope the people who advertise on CBS start pulling their money.

Yeah, that's how I feel about it. I could care less about CBS, even though I do love Dexter. I'll go to a sports bar if this is going on during football season if I really want to watch the Gmen that badly.

I have had Dish for years... Personally I prefer their DVR over Cable offerings (Comcast in my area, but it used to be TWC).

The DVR of Dish or DirectTV are decades ahead of cable (that I know of). When I say decades ahead, I just mean cable is decades behind lol.

Comcast has released the X1 which is finally bringing the UI to this decade but everything else is dot matrix old junk compared to what the Sat providers offer. Heck I tried Comcast 6 mo ago (no x1), and they couldn't even get their schedule to display in 16:9, AND you had to scroll through ads.

Heard x1 is better, leaps and bounds better but does have some quirks.

The thing I like about my Dish DVR (722VIP), is the custom schedule. I can remove all SD, pay per view, garbage O channels etc.

The Hopper is now offered by Dish and gets rave reviews. I have been meaning to get around to getting one.

I will say the problem with any Sat service is the service goes out on really cloudy/stormy days. Happens 3-5 times a year probably.

I have had Dish for years... Personally I prefer their DVR over Cable offerings (Comcast in my area, but it used to be TWC).

The DVR of Dish or DirectTV are decades ahead of cable (that I know of). When I say decades ahead, I just mean cable is decades behind lol.

Comcast has released the X1 which is finally bringing the UI to this decade but everything else is dot matrix old junk compared to what the Sat providers offer. Heck I tried Comcast 6 mo ago (no x1), and they couldn't even get their schedule to display in 16:9, AND you had to scroll through ads.

The thing I like about my Dish DVR (722VIP), is the custom schedule. I can remove all SD, pay per view, garbage O channels etc.

The Hopper is now offered by Dish and gets rave reviews. I have been meaning to get around to getting one.

No doubt about the DVRs. Dish > Cable on that one. I do like my 50mb/5mb pipe though, so cable wins. Trading on a sat connection, no matter how fast, due to latency would be impossible with slip wiping profits all day long.

Do I wish cable provided some of the features of Dish? Absolutely! Will events like this CBS thing help facilitate some of that? Hopefully.

I will say the problem with any Sat service is the service goes out on really cloudy/stormy days. Happens 3-5 times a year probably.

I actually like that. When we lived in Ohio we'd get warning of big storms because the sat signal would go out 10 minutes before the storm arrived. :D

Not so much in Denver. Haven't lost the signal in 3 years, other than when a rabbit chewed through the cable.

eh, one company says we want X amount of dollars for you to rebroadcast our channel, the company says no, and then they get into a little bitchwar over it. Hardly a unique situation this happened not too long ago with DirecTv and Viacom, they wanted more money DirecTV said no and promptly dropped 26 channels, of which only one I cared about Comedy Central, and only like 4 of them anyone watched, which was part of the problem VIacom was look at this huge lineup of channels, and directv only cared about 4 of them.

Every time there is a channel renewal negotiation this happens. We as consumers lose every time. We only get one benefit, the ability to view the said channel(s) if an agreement is reached. We are held hostage by both our ISP/Cable co. and the channel company. But of course they are working hard for us, as they claim. No matter the outcome we still all end up with our annual 1 to 2 price hikes a year. Its all bullshit, and will always be bullshit.

No doubt about the DVRs. Dish > Cable on that one. I do like my 50mb/5mb pipe though, so cable wins. Trading on a sat connection, no matter how fast, due to latency would be impossible with slip wiping profits all day long.

Do I wish cable provided some of the features of Dish? Absolutely! Will events like this CBS thing help facilitate some of that? Hopefully.

I have cable (comcast) internet and Dish TV. You just have to make sure your coax is homeruned so your network can be split. Mine wasn't so I cracked the cable box and ran another line to my office for internet (wife is on laptop/wifi, so only wire I need is in my office (pc, server, HTPC).

Though for a while I was able to mux the cable/sat signal then demux it at the needed endpoints. About a year ago cable signal got too weak so I had to do the run to my office.

If anyone is actually bothered by this...it is easily circumvented via VPN.

LOL...and they thought their ratings were bad before. :D

I agree. I have had Cox, DTV, and Dish. Out of the three, DirecTV had the best "looking" DVR interface (modern). Dish has an outdated interface (looks-wise), but it functions well. It still lacks any intelligence, but most of them don't have it.

The best functioning DVR I've ever owned is a Tivo. What I don't understand is A) how Tivo can stay in business, as all the operators have their own DVR's and/or it no longer functions. B) How someone hasn't (Dish or DTV) bought them just to roll their software into their own platform. I'm sure "Dish Hopper with Tivo" would be a huge seller. They did buy Sling for their web/app/stream functionality.

All joking aside, C B S can kiss my A S S.
Its been ages since the last new episode of the Big Bang Theory, and everything I DID like was already canceled.
NFL Network is on TWC, I can watch any game I chose on my tablet and phone.
Bye bye!!!!
Time Warner, if you're reading this, tell CBS to f*ck off and drop my bill $2 a month!

This sums it up completely. CBS wants more money for re-transmission.

Basic economics come into play. If you run s store selling widgets, and the only widget supplier wants to up the price, then you need to charge your customers more for widgets since you can't sell them at a loss.

CBS wants to sell re-transmission to TWC at a 600% increase in current price. That would mean TWC would have to pass the costs on to the consumer, namely you. Even if you don't have TWC and have dish, etc. IF CBS can extort that kind of cash from Time Warner, what do you think they are going to do when it comes time to re-contract with dish?

I want to watch CBS about as much as I want to watch the Home Shopping Channel.

What started out as a blackout of CBS by Time Warner Cable has now spilled over into the Internet. Time Warner customers are now unable to access programs from CBS.com due to the breakdown in negotiations over cable retransmission fees.

No problem. If CBS doesn't wish to provide programming, I'm sure the Pirate Bay will be more than happy to. When are these idiots going to learn that you can't just block people like that and try to restrict content. All they are doing is hurting themselves because instead of getting advertising revenue, people will now just go to other sources to get it.

Times Warner are a bunch of crooks.

Doesn't it seem odd that the other cable and satellite providers aren't having problems?

I needed TWC to run 60' of cable to my building in an industrial area. $25,000. Take it or leave it.

Charter gives me 100mbps for $150/m (business). Across the street TWC gives businesses 10mbps for $110/m.

This sums it up completely. CBS wants more money for re-transmission.

Basic economics come into play. If you run s store selling widgets, and the only widget supplier wants to up the price, then you need to charge your customers more for widgets since you can't sell them at a loss.

CBS wants to sell re-transmission to TWC at a 600% increase in current price. That would mean TWC would have to pass the costs on to the consumer, namely you. Even if you don't have TWC and have dish, etc. IF CBS can extort that kind of cash from Time Warner, what do you think they are going to do when it comes time to re-contract with dish?

$1 to $2 is not 600%!

"Cable and satellite operators pay networks like CBS a $1 fee per subscriber each month to transmit the network’s programming. With approximately 11 million cable TV subscribers, that comes to about $130 million a year in revenue for CBS. CBS wants to double this number up to $2 monthly for each subscriber (approximately $260 million per year)"

Why use the Cable companies DRV, I find a HTPC to me much better.

I have a Windows 7 HTPC with a 4 tuners & a cable card. Works great, I can watch recorded shows from any computer or tablet in the house (even my phone) and I can cheaply add disk space whenever I need to (currently have 2TB for recorded shows)

The only feature that Dish has over cable is the automatic skip of commercials. The record all primetime feature is kinda lame, IMO. Cox is the only cable company that has a dvr to rival Dish or DirecTv. Their record 6 whole home dvr has a 6 tuner dvr that you can pair with either clients or up to two more record 6 dvrs or up to 7 more regular whole home dvrs. Total tuners available? 18 to 20. Total space? 6 to 9 TB on the box, 9 to 16 TB with external esata 1 TB drives (not supported, but allowed). Cox wins :)

Welp, ive cut the cable, but I need a way to get sports in HD, wish there was an internet service that didnt require an active tv subscription to get it.

So Time Warner acts like a dick by blocking CBS and Showtime for their customers... So CBS retaliates by blocking Time Warner customers from using their website..

It's like two parents arguing, and punctuating each threat by punching one of their children.

Back