CD info question

This may have been asked / answered before, but if so I can't find it.
I'm in process of ripping my 300-some-odd audio CDs onto my new HTPC machine, using Windows Media Player. I'm using a USB 802.11b wireless network inside the house.
While it's ripping, after about 1/2 way through the first song on the disk, the disk info shows up. But, if for some reason, like I'm on the cordless phone (which knocks my wireless network down :mad: ) the disk info doesn't show up, and doesn't get put with the data onto my HD. I can either go in and manually enter everything, or re-rip it when the network connection is back up.
Most of my music collection is "older" stuff...like CDs pressed in the early to mid 90s.
I always thought the CD info was recorded on the cd itself? Or is that only with newer CDs? Does Windows Media player by default go out and do something like match up the first two tunes on a CD with some database somewhere to find the disk info?
Confused!

Windows Media Player goes out onto the internet and looks up the album infor from the CDDB.

CDDB

I knew that my self but how does it Idenitify that specific Album over thousands of different cds? As CDDB works %98 of the time (Atleast with my CDs and even with burned copys)

Back