CD Ripping/Audio encoding Tool (Help!)

D4rkside

Limp Gawd
So for as long as I can recall I've been ripping my audio CD's with iTunes. I was wondering what the [H] frequents use to encode their audio and rip their CD's? Does iTunes do a good job or should I look elsewhere?

Also, I'm currently running OSX (Leopard) so and Mac apps are appreciated, but Windows suggestions are fine as well.

I've never used iTunes so I can't compare. I use EAC (Exact Audio Copy) to rip my CD's to FLAC and mp3. http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/

I actually got the program off a recommendation from here. You should o to the computer audio forum. They'll be happy to tell you everything you need to know (and a whole lot more) about how to "properly" rip CD's. :p

It is a Windows program, but CDex is about as easy as it gets. It uses the same LAME encoder that EAC and other programs use, but it is very straight forward and easy to configure.

The advantage of EAC is not the encoders it uses (it can use any command-line encoder -- or an array of them at once) but the way it can be configured to read CDs as precisely as possible. Extracting audio from CDs correctly is actually pretty tricky business.

EAC has read offset correction, AccurateRip support, writes and reads CUE sheets, checks track checksums for comparison purposes (test & copy) and writes concise log files for your records. Beautiful app. There's nothing I'd rather use.

Cool. Thanks guys. Anything for the Mac at all? :p

WHen I get my WIndows box sometime down the road I'll check out both CDex and EAC, for sure.

Now, on Vista 64, I still use EAC to rip, but the lame command line didn't want to work, so I found Mediacoder .. open source... has a 64 bit lame, works awsome

Back