Celery 1.0 vs P3 1.0

malingjc

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a good question. Is there a difference between a...

Pentium III 1.0Ghz FCPGA (256k cache)

and a...

Celeron 1.0Ghz FCPGA2 (256k cache)

or are they basically the same thing, other than the Celeron having the heat spreader?

Aha, yes but the Celeron is bases on the Tulatin PIII, while the PIII is well a Coppermine PIII. Personally I would get the Celeron and clock it at 1.33GHz and you have an instant Tulatin PIII, there some minor differences but nothing really important.

Some of the FCPGA2 Celerys have a 4-way associative cache instead of 8-way found in a PIII... will account for a few % points in benchies.

Additionally, youmust have a Tuatalin compatable board to run that 1.0A Celery.

In order to change the FSB on most boards, you may have to do a pin mod to the bottom of the processor to get your 1.33.... a friend of mine had a 1.2, and it was converted to a 1.6 with a pinmod

Originally posted by CentronMe
Aha, yes but the Celeron is bases on the Tulatin PIII, while the PIII is well a Coppermine PIII. Personally I would get the Celeron and clock it at 1.33GHz and you have an instant Tulatin PIII, there some minor differences but nothing really important.
....yep. Tully Celery's are usually darn good OC'ers.

B.B.S.

er, just a question, since i really don't know too much about Cel. vs P.
doesn't the PIII have more cache?

Tualatins rox0rs though! I wanna buy one just for the sake of having one :)

Originally posted by Carnival Forces
er, just a question, since i really don't know too much about Cel. vs P.
doesn't the PIII have more cache?

Up until the tualatin they did. usually 256k for the p3 and 128 for the celeron.

But in the tualatin chips, the regular p3's and celeron's had the same amount.

the server version p3's had 512k cache.

So these chips were pretty similar in speed then? How much more did Intel charge for the PIII?

Thats awesome. Also I figure when using a Celeron 1.0 Tul in a Intel D815EEA2U (tul compatible) that it will have the processor locked at 100FSB.

The only other difference could be that some of the Tua Celerys use a 4-way assoiative cache, compared to the PIII's 8way associative, which can cause about a 10% difference in real world performance. CPUID will be able to tell you which associativity the proc you have is using. The later Tua Cellys were 8-way associate, making them basically equivalent to a CuMine PIII (which incidently, contains no copper).

Originally posted by Schro
The only other difference could be that some of the Tua Celerys use a 4-way assoiative cache, compared to the PIII's 8way associative, which can cause about a 10% difference in real world performance. CPUID will be able to tell you which associativity the proc you have is using. The later Tua Cellys were 8-way associate, making them basically equivalent to a CuMine PIII (which incidently, contains no copper).

All of the cel-t's had 8 way cache. I owned the very first one that came out the 1.2GHz and it had 8 way cache. The 1.0a and 1.1a came later. My 1.2 cel-t did 1.6GHz on like 1.58v. It was a sweet CPU.

It was the celermines that had 4 way cache.

Clock for clock and fsb for fsb the cel-t was faster than a coppermine PIII.

there is also a issue about latency in the celeron L2 cache, i think it was shown to be 1, whereas P3 had a latency value of 0,

im not sure what that means, you cant really have a latency of 0, but it must mean something....

Well I'm going to have to try to get that 1.0 for cheap on eBay first, but newegg has a Celeron 1.3 (S370) which I imagine would completely run over the P3 550Mhz (S370) I have in my Intel D815EEA2u.

For $40, looks like a worth upgrade for a server or something to that effect.

Back