Cell Phones Linked To Brain Cancer

Alpha is stopped by just air, right?

iirc, beta can be stopped with consumer paper.

There is a interesting BBC documentary on radiation, that goes over many areas about how radiation affects humans and statistics on it's cancer causing effects. around the :36 mark it talks about that the areas of the country that have the highest rates of radiation also have the lowest incidence of cancer.. also how they used theories on how much radiation it would take to kill people and applied that to Chernobyl, FAR less people died from the fallout than they expected.. it's pretty intriguing if you can get through it

hey just wanted to say thanks for that link, great documentary. really enjoyed it.

before u know it its gonna be like fallout 3.we will all be super mutants and we can blame it on our cell phones.lol

oh shit i just realized that i am typing this on my cell phone.i am doomed now someone please come and take my cell phone away from me.i cant seem to put this phone down NOOOOO!!!!!!!!

oh shit i just realized that i am typing this on my cell phone.i am doomed now someone please come and take my cell phone away from me.i cant seem to put this phone down NOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Too late... your hand has mutated to integrate your [previously indepandant] celluar telecommunications device [in]to your [sub]neural structure.

01001000011001010110110001101100011011110010110000100000011011010111100100100000011001100111001001101001011001010110111001100100

Americium 241 is an alpha emitter, not a beta emitter.

eh I had a 50/50 chance I knew it couldn't be a gamma particle, and I was lazy to look it up I figured it would be an electron because they're the most pedestrian particle.

I thought it was proved that Cell phones do not draw enough or send enough power to cause any sort of cell deformation?

Just don't keep your cell phone in your front pants pocket. I would rather have a whole in my brain than no balls.

"Whole" in your brain? Looks like you're living your principles! Well done!

I thought it was proved that Cell phones do not draw enough or send enough power to cause any sort of cell deformation?

well it did on 1 person.. so that means cell phones in general cause cancer.. woohoo were all going to die..

god these studies are so useless.. how about they just give me a million dollars and ill study what long term computer use does to the brain..

So does Fox News also cause brain cancer or is it just a symptom of brain cancer?

That would imply that one both has a brain AND watches Fox News, which is highly unlikely.

Anyone who uses a cell phone neurotically enough to develop brain cancer is far more likely to die in an automobile accident (that they caused) WAY before the tumor kills them, therefore I deem this study irrelevant. :p

Are these the same people who told women to go off hormone treatments for menopause and now we have to put up with a bunch of extra-bitchy old broads? Those guys should be shot.

Pfff. I don't know about you guys, but I for one could use more gamma rays.
And please don't make me mad.......
HULK SMASH!

Is there even a case where someone died from brain cancer that was caused from cell phones??

What a waste of 30 million dollars. Fucken pork....

There was actually lol. I remember seeing it on tv awhile back. A lawyer was always on his cell phone and he got brain cancer and died. Thats the only way something gets done is if someone dies.

No, my precious cell phone can't be hurting me. \sarcasm.

We heard the same arguments about cigarettes 30 years ago.

I thought this was an ausing line items in bold made bold by me.

The study’s head, Dr. Elisabeth Cardis, said, "In the absence of definitive results and in the light of a number of studies which, though limited, suggest a possible effect of radiofrequency radiation, precautions are important."

The WHO saying cell phones cause cancer is therefore apparently a "precaution". Gotta love the WHO...

Would it really be shocking if putting a device that creates radiation as close to your brain as possible might be bad for you?

When it comes to preserving your DNA in its current form, less radiation is always better than more radiation. Now I'm even more grateful that I shielded my Clearwire transceiver.

What is this, like the 3rd or 4th go around for a study of this nature? Shit, I think can remember a similar study linking brain cancer to cell phone usage being broadcast on ABCs 20/20 back in the early 90's, way before. And the funny thing is, they end up fading away, because the links are extremely loose at best.

The news has to be REAL careful about reporting fringe science, or studies that have not been peer-reviewed or of dubious quality. and the government needs to be careful about making policy or recommendations on public sentiment just to get some good feeling and ignore the science.
These subjects are not up to popular debate . . no Opinions need apply . . The answers can be found with well done science (and have been).
Another thing people need to get over is the binary solution set . . everything is either bad or good. This is a quite false and dangerous assignment. EVERYTHING is deadly at some dosage and most things have a lower threshold where you body really does not care about it. The amount (exposure) is everything!

Also there NEEDS to be a mechanism . . if there is no mechanism there is no causality.
So, What IS the mechanism of EM radiation damaging the brain? radiation? Heating? the simple word "radiation" is misleading you get 1000s of time the electromagnetic radiation from walking in the sunlight. Humans REQUIRE EM and nuclear radiation to survive. (ionizing radiation is not good for us in large amounts like anything else and we get more natural exposure then most care to believe). And the world is awash with natural and man made RF radiation.
people seem to think Cell phones put out allot of power . . .they do not. and that placing them next to your head may "expose" your head more . . it does not. The frequencies used are still in the meter range and are just too long to be effective and that localized.
Phones also emit on the order of a few hundred milliwatts to a few watts maximum, while ovens use power levels in the neighborhood of 700-1000 watts (and at the exact frequency to excite water).
So heating the skin let alone internal organs to make any difference is FLATLY imposable for a cell phone to manage. (you do more by drinking a coffee or going in a warm room - let alone exercising)
People REALLY need some perspective and some BASIC science schooling. (it IS good so see most "H"ers here LOLing at this.

So does Fox News also cause brain cancer or is it just a symptom of brain cancer?

Yes it does, and yes it is, along side all other news channels, CNN especially. Everything else shown on TV, the TV itself, and every last thing in your home also causes cancer. Everything every where causes cancer. Just wait for a study to be released on whatever thing you happen to be thinking of. It will prolly be linked to cancer.

Here are the results of my study, published right here on [H]. Tax dollars wasted on stupid studies is linked to annoyed taxpayers.

Growing up/living by massive powerlines also makes you way way way more likely to end up with Alzherimers, a related piece of news I read last week.

Radiation is bad, mkay.

Guess the cell phone business are going to cover the costs for health care for the next generation. Once all the smokers are gone.

Brought to you by insurance companies. you were using a phone? you got cancer? PRE EXISTING CONDITION NYEAH NYEAH!

Growing up/living by massive powerlines also makes you way way way more likely to end up with Alzherimers, a related piece of news I read last week.

Radiation is bad, mkay.

This one is old as hell as well, and has no substantial evidence.

Also there NEEDS to be a mechanism . . if there is no mechanism there is no causality.
So, What IS the mechanism of EM radiation damaging the brain? radiation? Heating? the simple word "radiation" is misleading you get 1000s of time the electromagnetic radiation from walking in the sunlight. Humans REQUIRE EM and nuclear radiation to survive. (ionizing radiation is not good for us in large amounts like anything else and we get more natural exposure then most care to believe). And the world is awash with natural and man made RF radiation.
people seem to think Cell phones put out allot of power . . .they do not. and that placing them next to your head may "expose" your head more . . it does not. The frequencies used are still in the meter range and are just too long to be effective and that localized.
Phones also emit on the order of a few hundred milliwatts to a few watts maximum, while ovens use power levels in the neighborhood of 700-1000 watts (and at the exact frequency to excite water).
So heating the skin let alone internal organs to make any difference is FLATLY imposable for a cell phone to manage. (you do more by drinking a coffee or going in a warm room - let alone exercising)
People REALLY need some perspective and some BASIC science schooling. (it IS good so see most "H"ers here LOLing at this.

I was just going to say the same thing... Ok, so what's the mechanism?

Keep trying WHO.

The news has to be REAL careful about reporting fringe science, or studies that have not been peer-reviewed or of dubious quality. and the government needs to be careful about making policy or recommendations on public sentiment just to get some good feeling and ignore the science.
These subjects are not up to popular debate . . no Opinions need apply . . The answers can be found with well done science (and have been).
Another thing people need to get over is the binary solution set . . everything is either bad or good. This is a quite false and dangerous assignment. EVERYTHING is deadly at some dosage and most things have a lower threshold where you body really does not care about it. The amount (exposure) is everything!

While I do not disagree with you, I don't think anyone with a good background in science should scoff at anything, here. A lot of people use cell phones on a regular basis and hold them to their heads. I think the potential issue is proximity (as you recall, radiation decreases by the inverse square of distance, so 2" closer to you gets you 4x the radiation), and how often you use the device.

All cancers are caused by random mutation in the "kill" part of a cell's DNA. Instead of dying when its function is over, the cell will continue to live and replicate. Anything that causes molecular damage to the cell (leading to a mutation in a "kill" gene) can potentially lead to cancer. Whether RF frequencies do this kind of damage I do not know, but it seems entirely plausible to me.

Brought to you by insurance companies. you were using a phone? you got cancer? PRE EXISTING CONDITION NYEAH NYEAH!

you joke... but if we dont get real healthcare reform this actually would happen. without question.

um... Just use a bluetooth headset or wired one if bluetooth gives cancer too. Done and done. You might get hip cancer, but no holes in your brain.

um... Just use a bluetooth headset or wired one if bluetooth gives cancer too. Done and done. You might get hip cancer, but no holes in your brain.
Place the phone in a front pocket. Free vasectomy w/o the pain and cost of a surgical one! :cool:

Back