CES '09 Blu-Ray Disc Stats

Interesting info. From Digital Bits...

The DEG announced that Blu-ray software sales grew from $270 million in 2007 to more than $750 million in 2008. Combined DVD and Blu-ray software sales for 2008 totaled more than $22 billion dollars, down slightly from nearly $24 billion last year. The BDA says there are now some 10.7 million Blu-ray playback devices currently in the market, including both PS3 and standalone units, this after just 2.5 years of format availability. By contrast, just 5.4 million DVD capable devices had shipped by the end of the third year of that format's availability. The Year Three U.S. market penetration of Blu-ray is set to reach about 8%, which is impressive given that the Year Three penetration of DVD was just 4.2%. The DEG reported that some 3 million players were shipped in the 4th quarter of 2008 alone. The lowest player SRP for this past holiday season was $149 for an entry level unit.

Almost double the adoption-rate of DVD at the same age?

umm wait wait wait....

10.7 million blu-ray playback devices and batman: Dark Knight sold only 1.7 worldwide? That means 15% of the owners purchased that.

Forgive me but that seems a tad bit low for people that own a player and people that buy a Blu-ray. Like REALLY low.

umm wait wait wait....

10.7 million blu-ray playback devices and batman: Dark Knight sold only 1.7 worldwide? That means 15% of the owners purchased that.

Forgive me but that seems a tad bit low for people that own a player and people that buy a Blu-ray. Like REALLY low.

So all 10.7million people have to buy The Dark Knight?
I loved the movie, but not everyone did. Also, I think with blu-ray we are going to see huge rental numbers, why spend 10-15USD on a movie when I can rent three at a time (unlimited per month) for about twice that?

Well I can tell you that since the Dark Knight is a brand new BD, I haven't bought it because of the high price. I buy only the top tier movies like Dark Knight, but only when they come down to prices like ~ $15 or less. I actually own 2 BD players, as well, so it is not that surprising to me.

-darkmatter08

Wait, wait, wait.... The BDA says there are only 10.7 million players sold including the PS3 but Sony has reported that about 20 million PS3s have been sold worldwide? I think Sony has been inflating the numbers or the BDA is collecting info from PS3 users that have used the console as a blu-ray player.

Wait, wait, wait.... The BDA says there are only 10.7 million players sold including the PS3 but Sony has reported that about 20 million PS3s have been sold worldwide? I think Sony has been inflating the numbers or the BDA is collecting info from PS3 users that have used the console as a blu-ray player.

No, I believe it's the users using it as a Blu-Ray player.

Back