Ceton quad stream cablecard tuner question

luke51087

2[H]4U
Any suggestions on a Video card for an HTPC using this tuner? Right now i have an amd athlon x4 620, and it just has the basic onboard 4200, and im getting display driver blah blah and it just blanks, then if i minimized MCE and open it seems to randomly work would this be from the video card lacking any power at all? I figure anything other then the onboard would be better i saw some other posts about getting a 6450 and such

Last edited:
Any suggestions on a Video card for an HTPC using this tuner? Right now i have an amd athlon x4 620, and it just has the basic onboard 4200, and im getting display driver blah blah and it just blanks, then if i minimized MCE and open it seems to randomly work would this be from the video card lacking any power at all? I figure anything other then the onboard would be better i saw some other posts about getting a 6450 and such

The Ceton does not use any video card resources to encode and record video. It strictly uses CPU. The onboard 4200 is plenty powerful for almost any Blu-Ray out there (don't know about 3D) and it does accelerate other video out there.

If you are getting display driver errors then the issue is with the display driver.;) Every once in a while AMD will fuck up how a new driver set and older device work, I see it all the time with certain games and my older HD4850 on my main rig (case in point: catalyst 10.5, 10.6, 10.7, 10.8), so I just roll back to the previous driver set when that happens. Try a different driver suite, maybe even an older one. I am still running 10.12's (December 2010 release) on my HTPC and it is running an HD4350. There is no reason for me to update it since I don't game on it, and everything else works perfectly.

If you want to get an add-on card anyways then a 6450 would be pretty decent.

-edit-

One more thing. What OS are you running? If you are running Windows 7, have you upgraded to Service Pack 1 or got all the updates previous to it? I occasionally had errors where the computer said it ran out of memory and Catalyst Control Center crashed as a result. Somewhere around November of last year a windows update came out that fixed it. SP1 should include that update too, and I haven't had any problems with my setup since SP1 either.

Last edited:
Yeah sorry using 64 bit win 7 pro with sp1, i have 4gb of ram, 512 allocated for the onboard video, im using the newest suite of video drivers. ill give it a go tommorow with some other driver packages. Finally got the overscan issue to go away Also thanks for the help, didnt want to spend another 50 bucks for no reason

If you are using the 11.6's that just came out go back to 11.5. I have no problems with 11.5, 11.6 is bsod every hour and just in general blow. I don't know if the 6850 or the integrated on my 880g (4200 something) causing it because I use both.

Edit: didn't have the updated thread when replying, since you are using the newest go back to 11.5 or earlier.

Ok well i tried 11.5 and i tried 10.12 no luck both keep saying Display driver error can not play protected content, and its really random i can minimize MCE and then it will play, if i switch channels sometimes it will give me the error on the channels that were just running

Do you guys think this is all caused by that playready crap? Wont let me update it and i see tons of topics online about the issues with updating it and having to reinstall windows and all that

it wont work without Playready set up. If you have changed your motherboard/cpu and not reinstalled windows, you will have to reinstall windows again. If not, then you can clear your DRM, do a search, there is a fairly simple procedure to do this. It is also posted on the Ceton website.

I think i might have gotten it to work with a forum post by someone
DISCLAIMER: This fix involves deleting files from system areas that could affect other parts of the system. My Win7 MC machine is dedicated to just that, so I don't know if this had any detrimental effects I haven't noticed, but it fixed the PlayReady problem for me when nothing else would. If this fix breaks your media, kicks your dog, or anything else, sorry... This will most likely make any protected recorded shows you have unplayable, since it's regenerating the keys, but if PlayReady's busted, they're probably already hosed. You may also have to reassociate extenders and redo the Media Center setup.

- Make sure you have the final Windows product key you're going to use in place and activated.

- From Control Panel->Programs and Features, uninstall "PlayReady PC Runtime" if present (x86 or x64 as appropriate)

- Click "Turn Windows features on or off" on the taskpane of the Programs and Features window

- Uncheck "Media Features" and hit OK. This will uninstall Media Center and Media Player.

- Ensure that you're logged in with admin rights, and that under Control Panel->Folder Options->View, you have "Show Hidden Files, Folders and drives" selected and "Hide protected operating system files" unchecked.

- Go to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\ and delete the eHome and PlayReady folders

- Go to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\DRM and delete all files and folders underneath (don't delete the DRM directory itself)

- Run Regedit with admin privileges and go to HKLM\Software\Microsoft and delete the DRM key.

- Reboot

- Go back to Control Panel->Programs and Features->Turn Windows Features on or off, and re-select "Media Features" to reinstall WMC and WMP. This should also regenerate the DRM keys for your machine.

- Re-do your Media Center TV signal setup (CableCard, etc). The CableCard pairing stayed the same for me (eg, I didn't have to contact the cable co).

- Run the PlayReady install from inside Media Center. It should succeed.

Again, this worked for me (assuming I remembered all the steps correctly)- your mileage may vary. Hope this saves someone else the trouble I had.

My playready set up still wont install correctly but im no longer getting the display issue after following those directions gonna do some more testing. Thanks for the input

Back