Changing cases, how much fuss?

Riddleofsteel

[H]ard|Gawd
I've been neglecting my pc for months due to being very busy, but now that things have slowed down, I want to make some adjustments. My current build has been in a CM HAF932 and I want to change to something smaller, quieter, and without LED fans. I can't seem to find a good 240mm front fan replacement, and I'm seeing reports that you can't even remove the front fan.

Whether or not that's true is my first question, but my ideal plan is to switch to a new case. I'm currently using a Corsair H100 in it for CPU cooling.

1) How much of a pain would it be to transfer to a new case?

2) I'm guessing it's best to remove the H100, but to re-attach it, what kind of thermal paste should I be getting?

3) Is there a "best" full or mid tower for the H100 that's quiet, neat, and non-flashy?

Thanks for any answers to the above questions.

I have transferred a system to a new case. I didn't find it all that difficult, it's essentially like building a new machine all over again, so I didn't find it to be too difficult.

As for thermal paste, I have always had good luck with Arctic Silver 5. I use rubbing alcohol and paper towels to remove the old thermal paste, and then apply a dab of thermal paste, and then put it all back together.

As for best cases, while I don't currently own one, I have heard the Fractal Design Arc Midi is a superb case, and is H100-friendly. I like clean, non-flashy cases as well, and I think Fractal Design does this really well.
Link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352007&Tpk=arc midi

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than myself will be along shortly to help out more.

Danny will probably have some good case recommendations when he sees this thread. What size is your mobo? ATX, mATX?

Migrating to a new case isn't a big deal. Well, isn't any more of a hassle than a new build anyway. Just make sure you are getting a case that can accommodate your mobo and be sure to attempt to ground yourself as you would with a new build.

In terms of thermal paste - I also like Arctic Silver 5 but I did have a bad experience with it drying out on me once. Admittedly it was my fault as it supposedly needs to be reapplied every year or two (or should be I guess) and it was going on 3 years when it dried out on me. For my last build I went with Arctic Cooling MX-4. It seems to work really well but I was really pissed off to find out it is very toxic for the environment. I shouldn't have used it on principle but my laziness got the better of me and I didn't send it back.

Edit to add: And not to dump on LordsServant at all but I wouldn't use paper towels to clean off old paste. It could leave behind unwanted miniscule bits of paper lint. I would use something that doesn't shed. Preferably a smooth cotton rag. I use pieces of a cut up old sweatshirt.

Last edited:
ATX size mobo. I guess I messed up my question. I was hoping I could transplant without taking my H100 off the CPU, but I think that's probably a bad idea.

ATX size mobo. I guess I messed up my question. I was hoping I could transplant without taking my H100 off the CPU, but I think that's probably a bad idea.

Those self-contained water-cooling units are bolt through aren't they? I mean they don't use the Intel push pins or anything, correct?

I have never owned one of those closed loops but I don't see why it would be a big deal to give it a try at least. I think your biggest problem would be not having enough sets of hands to hold on to/manipulate the mobo and cooler into the new case all at once. But I doubt you would hurt anything if you had a helping set of hands and were careful.

1) Not hard but it does take some time, especially if you care about cable management at all
2) Yes that is best. Thermal paste wise, I recommend the Arctic Cooling MX-4 as well. Honestly even it was toxic for the environment, it's not even a small bilp on the environment damage scale considering the manufacturing process for the rest of the PC parts.
3) Check out the Corsair 550D:
http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Obsid...8&qid=1352240657&sr=8-1&keywords=Corsair+550D

Review of it here:
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/08/08/corsair_obsidian_series_550d_midtower_case_review/

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
newegg has a pretty good deal on that case... free fan... 10% off with coupon... free shipping

Back