Changing CPU fans, how do I clean the CPU off?

LordJezo

Limp Gawd
I'll be switching out the stock cooler of my Intel E6600 for a Artic 7 that is showing up today.

How should I clean off the cpu? I am expecting some of the goo from the stock fan to be on the chip once I remove the fan, what's the safest way to clean it to prepare it for the new fan?

I use pure acetone. It cleans everything. Just don't do it without plenty of air and no sparks. Sparks=BOOM! or at least flash and burn.
Can't get cleaner, faster.

used isopryl alcohol for 10+ years, few years back tried the articlean when it came out, haven't gone back to anything since, use coffee filters for lint free wiping too. (tho, usually i use just a paper towel)

I use isopropyl alcohol and coffee filters. Cheap, efficient, and most people usually have it lying around already. What I do is put some alcohol on a filter and wipe down the cpu and heatsink where the thermal paste is. Get most of it off. Then get a new clean coffee filter, and do the same thing to make sure it is all of. I usually end up using 3 filters to get it completely clean.

After the cleaning is done I also give a few sprays on the chip from an air can to make sure nothing is left behind. On both the chip & heatsink

I use pure acetone. It cleans everything. Just don't do it without plenty of air and no sparks. Sparks=BOOM! or at least flash and burn.
Can't get cleaner, faster.
I didn't catch this before, are you serious? :eek:

Ended up using alcohol and a special makeup removing pad my wife had.

Worked decently.

you have a great wife, lol

I guess I should clarify. She would end up with a bunch of them in her pockets at the end of the day just because she used them all the time while working, and I decided to start stockpiling them instead of letting her throw them away. :D

Yes,
Completely serious, pure acetone makes the fastest, cleanest removal you can find. Just follow proper precautions. Don't be worried about it, after all we are constantly sticking our hands around live AC voltage and sharp spinning fans. Just don't have the voltage and the acetone together..........or you won't be ....together.

Back