changing laptop gpu

leetskeet

Limp Gawd
my friend at work has an alienware laptop with 7800gt sli and he was asking me what he should upgrade his cards to. i told him i had never heard of that and he insisted the alienware rep that built the comp for him told him to get the 256mb versions of the cards cause he could always upgrade them later. any thoughts?

Some laptops do have removable video cards that can be replaced/upgraded. However, given the age of the 78xx series chipset, I would say he may be hard pressed to get upgraded parts from Alienware.

those were my thoughts too...thanks. another thing about his comp that puzzles me...his coretemp reports 82c load on his singlecore athlon64. i have no clue about those cpus but i cant imagine this is a safe operating temp especially not for a laptop. he was telling me that soda cans in the close vicinity become warm rather quickly during gaming :p

To be honest, and I know it will cost a lot more, but he probably will have to upgrade the whole system.

Ya, it sucks, but that processor will choke on an 8800.

Now, that's assuming he even could upgrade to an 8800 mobile.

He could get away with an extra RAM 7800 possibly, but it porbably not worth what he'd have to pay for it at this point.

Back