Changing Permissions/Taking Ownership of Read-Only Drive/Folder in Ubuntu.

CLock3

Gawd
Hello. I'm trying to copy some files off of the hard drive that was in my MacBook and I'm having some issues. The MacBook died, so I'm trying to get some of the files off of the hard drive. I have Ubuntu dual-booting on my PC, so I'm in that, and I have the laptop hard drive connected via a BlacX.

I can navigate through some of the drive, but the Documents folder, among others, is Permission Denied. I'm able to view the contents if I do 'gksudo nautilus', but it still tells me it can't copy anything within it because permission is denied.

Anyone have any ideas on how I can get the files off of this drive?

Thanks in advance for any help! :)

sounds like you need to chmod the Documents folder. Something like # chmod 766 Documents -R should work, or else just make it 777 if it's weird, then change it back after you've copied the files.

Hmm, I gave that a try, but it didn't seem to do anything. When I open the Permissions tab it says "You are not the owner, so you cannot change these permissions." Not sure how I take ownership of it. Can't seem to come up with any solid info Googling.

If I do "sudo chmod 766 Documents" or "sudo chown craig Documents" it says:
"chmod: changing permissions of `Documents': Read-only file system" or
"chown: changing ownership of `Documents': Read-only file system"

Any idea why it's read-only?

Thanks again!

Last edited:
You could also try `sudo cp -a %dir_name%' to just copy the contents to your drive, then once there you can mess with permissions.

Back