Cheap Banana Plugs

really great site and prices are so cheap will order both wire and 20 banana plugs thanks again for the advice

The logitechs will not benefit from 12-gauge wire, it probably won't even benefit from 14-gauge wire, unless you plan on 50-75 foot runs that is. If you're running distances of less than 20 or 30 feet than all you'd ever need is 16-gauge.

Again, on shorter cable runs with the Z-5500's, there will be NO audible difference between 12-14-16 awg speaker cables.

The logitechs will not benefit from 12-gauge wire, it probably won't even benefit from 14-gauge wire, unless you plan on 50-75 foot runs that is. If you're running distances of less than 20 or 30 feet than all you'd ever need is 16-gauge.

Again, on shorter cable runs with the Z-5500's, there will be NO audible difference between 12-14-16 awg speaker cables.

True, but he might get bookshelves/floors later and could still use the 12 guage cable. :p

So, to reiterate a point: no audible difference with regards to the gauge of speaker wire? I'm looking at getting 100ft spool and if it's a $10-15 difference between 16 and 14 guage I should go with the cheapest, no? This would be for bookshelves.

Not trying to threadjack, but no sense creating a new thread ;).

[DFR]Random;1031679623 said:
So, to reiterate a point: no audible difference with regards to the gauge of speaker wire? I'm looking at getting 100ft spool and if it's a $10-15 difference between 16 and 14 guage I should go with the cheapest, no? This would be for bookshelves.

Not trying to threadjack, but no sense creating a new thread ;).

No..it depends how long you're running them. The money isn't a real issue if you think about it...but I'd get 12 guage, just for the hell of it. :p

i've got these for all my speakers

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=091-1260

keep in mind the price is for 2 pairs but they are nice and work quite well and can take a huge gauge cable without issue

but imo i wouldn't bother with bananas or even spending that much on wire for z5500s unless you need to have longer runs but bananas honestly are just for ease of insertion into the back of a receiver and into binding posts all of which is easy enough with z5500's

I doubt there's an audible difference in terms of quality between 16 and 14, but I know that with a 14, there's technically less resistance and hence you will get a "louder" signal.

We've tried this comparing a 22g to a 12g wire... each wired to a speaker at the same time and driven. The 12g sounded louder but I'm not sure if "better" is a way I'd describe it.

If I were you, I'd get the thickest.

I doubt there's an audible difference in terms of quality between 16 and 14, but I know that with a 14, there's technically less resistance and hence you will get a "louder" signal.

We've tried this comparing a 22g to a 12g wire... each wired to a speaker at the same time and driven. The 12g sounded louder but I'm not sure if "better" is a way I'd describe it.

If I were you, I'd get the thickest.
Ya, things get funny when you begin experimenting with the extremes. I'm even pretty sure that with the shortest lengths (<12ft) you won't hear any difference between 18awg and 12awg. But i have read that anything thinner than 18awg is where things begin to change noticeably. Personally i'm currently goofing around with 22-26awg magnetic wire and hearing all the difference it makes with the fullrange & open baffle speaker(s) i'm building (attenuation, etc, i'm still quite the amateur though).

OP, and anyone else, here's a store that has better prices and lower shipping rates than Monoprice, and i think they are, or were AVS forum sponsors: RiteAV. They're practically giving away their spools of 16awg speaker wire.

if you are wanting to get bananas just for fun i would avoid it. unless you plan on moving your stuff around a lot it is better to stick with bare wire. bananas add resistance and possible mechanical failure. twisting the bare wire and soldering them is better for the signal.

now i do use bananas but in a purely cosmetic context.

in the end the sound is the same but the price is higher.

I, too, use bananas. I don't think they give any audible improvement, but their ease of use is what does it for me. I don't necessarily play with my speakers alot in terms of moving them around or rewiring things, but the times that I do, I am very grateful that all I have to do is pull the wire and not have to get down on my hands and knees to unscrew each of my binding posts...

This becomes of utmost importance once you take into account that my amp is 100lbs and is stuck against a corner where I cannot see the binding posts.

It's up to you, but I would get bananas if I were presented the opportunity to do it all over again. It's easy to use and saves you some grunt work when the time comes down to it. It's not too expensive to get a decent set and it lasts as long as you own audio equipment - EVEN when your taste in speakers change.

i see what you mean... convenience is a huge motivating point. i forgot to mention that i unplug move and reatatch my stuff often so for me it made sense .

Back