[H]ard|Gawd
spotted at Fry's Electronics the other day:

$39 - AMD Duron 1.6Ghz w/ Motherboard
$29 - 256 MB PC2700 DDR SDRAM
$44.99 - $30 MIR = $14.99 Antec SLK1600 w/ 300W Power Supply
$14.99 - Any cheap copper/aluminum heatsink
---------
$127.98 - 30 MIR = 97.98

Add in any old hard drive and any old video card you can get your hands on and you've got a decent folder for < $100 in new parts.

Yup, I'd love to have one nearby. They do run deals from time to time. ;)

Those smilies must be indicating a free linux based solution, and not a "free" microsoft solution correct?

Of course :D Linux is free, and that keeps the cost < $100. Add a Microsoft OS and you'd be looking at another $100, therefore doubling the price and making it not as stinking cheap!

but... how is linux box going to work out in my home network of xp and 98se comps...

Gk22CoE said:
what about the os?

you'll have to talk to my brother on that one.

he's unhappy_mage, if you didn't know yet. he's building a smaller version of overclockix dedicated to folding.

i should get him to force team 33 (or at least default to that):p

rusek said:
Those smilies must be indicating a free linux based solution, and not a "free" microsoft solution correct?

you are entirely completely and utterly correct.
100%.

Gk22CoE said:
but... how is linux box going to work out in my home network of xp and 98se comps...
Just fine, just beware of its viral tendencies (joke!). I started computing on a pure win95 network. Now I have 7 1/2 linux machines and 1 1/2 Windows machines. (because one dual-boots, that's why). One router, one file server, 4 garden boxen, mine, family computer (db). Then on the evil empire side is rogue_jedi and the family computer.

Real Soon Now (tm) I'll have a 60ish MB distro out, which will work on any recent machine and let others boot over network. It will be nice, I promise :D

unhappy_mage said:
Just fine, just beware of its viral tendencies (joke!). I started computing on a pure win95 network. Now I have 7 1/2 linux machines and 1 1/2 Windows machines. (because one dual-boots, that's why). One router, one file server, 4 garden boxen, mine, family computer (db). Then on the evil empire side is rogue_jedi and the family computer.

Real Soon Now (tm) I'll have a 60ish MB distro out, which will work on any recent machine and let others boot over network. It will be nice, I promise :D
ahhh...
you've convinced me to try it.... send me link to download linux plz

rusek said:

Heh, free and Microsoft in the same sentence? Dream on my friend..;)

unhappy_mage said:
Then on the evil empire side is rogue_jedi and the family computer.

hey! those both have linux too! windows just gets used more because a) i play games and b) that's all you need for email.

mine's gentoo:cool:

wrt linux (and the downloading of): there are several (scratch that, a whole lot of) linux distros. suse is as valid as any other, but beware that there are others out there that may suit your purposes better.

the "free" microsoft solution... :shiftyeyes: needed here... heh. not that any of US would do that (and admit it, anyway;))

good luck!

rogue_jedi said:
the "free" microsoft solution... :shiftyeyes: needed here... heh. not that any of US would do that (and admit it, anyway;))

Did somebody mention pirating? Because we don't pirate around here. That is breaking the law, and we do not discuss breakage of laws around here. If you want to break the law that is your choice, just like speeding is your choice and if you get pulled over by the coppers and get a ticket you can't blame anyone but yourself because you know the rules of driving and you chose to ignore them anyway.

Besides, when I start programming, I'd like to get paid for my software. :D

Buckus said:
Did somebody mention pirating?
joking... just not very well i guess. i suppose the "free" microsoft solution would be better phrases with quotes around the microsoft part... linux + wine + kde so grandma can't tell the difference.

if you guys want to have some real 'cluster' fun without all of the hassle, check out 'warewulf' at warewulf-cluster.org. They made a linux rpm that serves netboot images (pxe) to any dhcp'd clients on the network (Which can boot via net). Basically, you can run a dev-minimal linux distro w / very little hassle on any number of nodes, assuming you can do some basic install and configuration on a master node.

Back