Cheap input mixer?

daedal

Gawd
I have multiple mics and inputs I need to mix. Ideally, a three-port mixer would be great but I could work with a dual.

Any really cheap ones out there I can check out?

For the cheapest? I have something like the Beringer Eurorack UB802, an older model that gets the job done. I just have a Shure SM57 that sits on my desk for Ventrilo or on the occasion that I decide to mic a cab or another instrument.

At a slightly higher price point, I think you're looking at higher quality solutions, like USB cards / E-MU 0404. However, I cannot attest to the quality of them as I only have experience with my cheap little mixer.

I'm actually wondering if I couldn't use Bluetooth instead. We're broadcasting live gaming sessions so we have two mics and the sound input from the console.

I think I should be able to use the mic port for the console's sound and two Bluetooth headsets. Hmm.

Well, you gotta give us more information on what you have exactly, and what you want really.

As far as I understand, You can probably use something like this [URL="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127117"]Bluetooth Adapter.[/URL] That should allow you to connect your headset to your PC. However, I'm not sure if you can use a single device for both headsets. As for the console sound, you can probably get a analog cable (2 RCA to 3.5mm mini jack) or digital (optical/coaxial), and connect it to your current sound card. You really have to tell us what sound card you currently have, and what console it is. Then, you can get something like Audacity or Asio4all to mix the sound. I'm haven't tried any of those, nor am I sure which one allows real-time mixing, but those programs get recommend quite often. I'm sure somebody can help you with instructions. However, you can simply use a Creative card and set your output source to "What U Hear". I'm sure other sound cards support this, but I just don't know what their called, creative calls it "What U Hear". That mixes all sound that goes inside your computer, no matter the device, and outputs its as a single signal which you stream with your broadcasting application.

So yeah, that's an idea which seems every cost effective to me, assuming I understand what you request. You can go the extra mile and get dedicated devices, but that's for your budget to dictate.

Ok, hope that helps.

I'm actually wondering if I couldn't use Bluetooth instead. We're broadcasting live gaming sessions so we have two mics and the sound input from the console.

I think I should be able to use the mic port for the console's sound and two Bluetooth headsets. Hmm.

That changes things a bit, I thought you meant 1\4", XLR, or line level style inputs, not bluetooth.

You could try to buy two bluetooth dongles and simply hook up RCA left and right to your stereo line in and try to mix it all through software, but my experience with software mixing is that unless you have an entry level card like an E-MU 0404 it can't be done. It has to do with the DSP used on most consumer based sound cards. I know for older Creative cards you could only pick one sound source as input (no combining mic and line in and what you hear) but with my built in Realtek audio I can combine all inputs for that particular card. If you're running XP check sndvol32.exe. If you're only going to record one input into the card though, it shouldn't be a problem.

You could route the bluetooth things to the main output and then record "What U Hear" or "Stereo Mix" from whatever soundcard you've got.

Does that make sense? :D

If you describe what you're trying to do in more detail we could give you more help (are you trying to record xbox live stuff or what?)

[EDIT] See post below. Sorry, tried to delete this one.

Last edited:
As far as this thread is concerned, the problem has been resolved using third-party software mixer called Virtual Cable that essentially grabs my audio and feeds it as a line-in, leaving my mic port open, no longer requiring a mixer. For those interested, here is the site in question.

I'm still checking it out to see if the mic input mixes in properly, but as far as my thread is concerned, issue resolved. Thanks!

Last edited:
As far as this thread is concerned, the problem has been resolved using third-party software mixer called Virtual Cable that essentially grabs my audio and feeds it as a line-in, leaving my mic port open, no longer requiring a mixer. For those interested, here is the site in question.

I'm still checking it out to see if the mic input mixes in properly, but as far as my thread is concerned, issue resolved. Thanks!
Oh good, I glad you have everything working, and for cheap.

Just a quick update, we've been streaming Wii and XBOX360 footage all night and it's working like a charm. The only caveat is that there's an annoying sound that's played every 30 seconds or so that says "trial". I'm assuming that's because I'm using the free version of the Virtual Cable driver. Might be worth the 30$ for me. For the curious, you can check it here.

Just a quick update, we've been streaming Wii and XBOX360 footage all night and it's working like a charm. The only caveat is that there's an annoying sound that's played every 30 seconds or so that says "trial". I'm assuming that's because I'm using the free version of the Virtual Cable driver. Might be worth the 30$ for me. For the curious, you can check it here.
Well, even tho' you KINDA got it working, I still never fully understood what you did. I mean, you were talking about getting bluetooth headsets and stuff, but you ended up using something completely different.

Anyways, what software are you using to stream? Are you using the regular flash version on the website, or the dedicated Adobe Flash Media Encoder? I ask this because I used to stream PC games a long time ago when JustinTv came out. I used to stream the sound from the game, without cables, and still have my mic connected. For my output, I used to pick "What U Hear", which I think somebody mentioned other sound cards call it Stereo Mix.

However, I do know that this feature seems to not be available in all programs. Some simply give you the option of Microphone, and that's it. But it's a software feature, not necessarily hardware related. Varies from program to program. I know Ventrilo, which is a VOIP program, allows "What U Hear" (stereo mix) within the drop down menu.
The reason I ask what software you use, is because I used to select "What U Hear" when streaming to JustinTv with Adobe Flash Media Encoder, so I feel confident the option for stereo mix is going to be available for you too. That does exactly what I think you are doing, but without any extra software.

What I needed was to have a software mixer like "What U Hear" since my sound card did not have one bundled, it's just that it took me a while to figure out that it could be done so I explored various other options.

I'm using Flash Media Live Encoder. With the help of Virtual Cable and a mixer, I have my game's sound and my mic working flawlessly.

Back