Cheap Thrills

stryder2720

Supreme [H]ardness
So I picked up a open box 4050e off the Egg a few months ago for 25 bucks and just got around to OCing it. When I got it I saw that it was missing a few pins and thought WTF is this? Anyway, it's surprising what fun you can have with a 25 dollar CPU :eek::D Hell, I was just surprised that it worked period.

I'm still in the process of testing it but so far it's been crunching away at P95 for 12hrs. Cooled with a Core Contact somethingorother I got for $12ar off newegg 50c load.

Anyone else have any cheap CPUs that really surprised them?

Last edited:
That is a well known and well respected core. Please keep it safe! Its 65nm but as you can tell it still has a great amount of use left.

Perhaps you can see what you can get for 65W and leave it there for perhaps a nice little Counter Strike Source, TF2 and the like computer.

about 2 years ago I picked up a 1600-le?
It was a sparta core, and it was only sold for a short while one the egg (just needed something for a month or two) anyways I got to overclocking it, and I was able to get 3.0 off stock voltage, I was also able to undervolt it and run it stable at 2.8...
yes it was a single core but none the less it did surpass my expectations.

about 2 years ago I picked up a 1600-le?
It was a sparta core, and it was only sold for a short while one the egg (just needed something for a month or two) anyways I got to overclocking it, and I was able to get 3.0 off stock voltage, I was also able to undervolt it and run it stable at 2.8...
yes it was a single core but none the less it did surpass my expectations.

Wow another great 65nm story.. 65nm was a great time for AMDs budget cores and the reviews on the budget 45nm tell a similar tale.

Anyone else have any cheap CPUs that really surprised them?

well, i am chuffed to bits with my 7750. It is probably the cheapest cpu i ever bought for a main rig (the top was 300 for a x2 3800+, and 200 for a 3400+), but the fastest thing i ever have had, and it copes with everything i throw at it without issue. I am really starting to believe that with the exception for video encoding, cpu's have gotten fast enough, period.

the cheap cpu that is begging me to buy it right now (though i find it hard to justify) is the sempron 140. My mobo should be able to unlock it to dual core, and it should oc a bit better then my 7750. But i dont feel like spending 35 bucks just for shits and giggles right now (cant really afford to :( )

For a higher end budget CPU the Kuma was one of the best. It did run hot but it was loaded with enough L3 to handle 4 cores and it only had 2 activated. Nice CPU that and one of the best of 08.

But CPUs are no where near fast enough yet for their inefficient use if ARM was the standard things would be quite different however games are CPU limited even with 125W Phenom IIs.

For a higher end budget CPU the Kuma was one of the best. It did run hot but it was loaded with enough L3 to handle 4 cores and it only had 2 activated. Nice CPU that and one of the best of 08.

But CPUs are no where near fast enough yet for their inefficient use if ARM was the standard things would be quite different however games are CPU limited even with 125W Phenom IIs.

personally I can't wait for hard drives to be fast enough to leave out ram.

Unlikely to happen for a few decades atleast.

Storage is evolving but more towards more and value rather than speed.

Back