cheapest mobo to o/c 2500+

theodork

Weaksauce
Got a barton 2500+ i bought from newegg early january this year, dont know how well it overclocks or anything but i wanna give it a shot. Since i already have a working (albeit nonoverclockable) asus a7vx-x i dont want to go out and spend large sums of money for a motherboard.. since really im only spending money to overclock. soo.. whats the cheapest MB i can get away with to stably overclock the processor (assuming my particular cpu overclocks well) I dont need SATA or RAID or anything..... probably something along the lines of an A7N or NF7, but even then i'd like to keep it below 50 shipped. newegg refurbs aren't so plentiful lately..

Anyone know of any other places with good refurbs, are refurbs a bad idea for overclocking? im also giving the for sale/for trade forum a try..

So far im looking at a newegg refurb Aopen AK79D-400VN for $36 shipped, anyone have any experience with this board?

If i can't find any decent used mobos im looking at the Shuttle AN35N-Ultra $54 shipped

comments/suggestions?

I OC'ed my 2500+ to 3200+ (~2.2GHz) on my Asus A7N8X-E deluxe with corsair XMS 3200LL memory. It runs very stable, but I do have the occasioanl hiccup (once every 2 weeks or so UT2k4 crashes).

Newegg has the deluxe model (highly recommended for the firewire ports, SATA capabilities, slightly better bundle, and a few other nicities) for less than $100 and the non-deluxe board for $85 (I've put about 7 of these into computers I've buitl for work and they're great but the deluxe model is totally worth the small price increase).

theodork said:
if i can't find any decent used mobos im looking at the Shuttle AN35N-Ultra $54 shipped

That would be my suggestion anyway.:)
I've had the board for 6 months or so and it's a rock, easily among the most stable athlon boards I've used, and I've used a whole lot of them (primarily Asus, Abit, DFI and Epox) since Slot A.

Most boards $30 more expensive don't have as extensive Vcore overvolting options. Certainly the Asus doesn't. For extreme oberbussing (>220 or so) you will want to slap a heatsink on the SouthBridge (MCP) and reseat/reapply thermal compound to the NB heatsink, preferably adding a small fan.

The only caveat with the Shuttle (outside of the minimal peripheral loadout) is that you must have a power supply with the 4-pin PIV auxilliary power connector.

thanks cybeslag, i know thats a great MB i guess im just being a bit cheap :( unless someone is willing to unload those boards to me for less than $50 (slim chances) i can't justify their cost over the shuttle board (i know SATA and RAID is nice and all, but i dont have a need for them, especially since i already have 3 PATA drives and a raid card that i dont even RAID)

thanks for the comments about the an35n leukotriene, i have a 350watt enermax and it does have a p4 connector so that wont be a problem

what do you guys think the chances of me going over 220 fsb are? correct me if im wrong but i dont think a locked 2500+ is likely to go over 220fsb.. im not sure though..

The shuttle is a great board built 3 with xp-m in them .As long as you dont need sata its a great board for overclocking.Had a xp2500 with locked fsb in at at first and got to a 200 fsb but that was more due to the proc. as with the xp-m i have it at 220 .Make sure to get some good ram the an35 only goes to 2.7 volts on that.

Shuttle AN35N Ultra 400.

Did the following with it:

1800+ T-Bred at 2.3Ghz
1700+ T-Bred at 2.0GHz
2500+ Barton at 2.2GHz

Any questions?

Back