Check out my hacked Satellite 1605CDS (+ question about CPU and LCD upgrade)

Trying to overclock to 600 MHz was a big crash and burn. I tried it first by changing the jumpers. The unit would not even boot. It crashes shortly past the Win98 welcome screen. At first I got general protection faults and then all kinds of error messages. I tried bringing it up in safe mode and that didn't work either. I then tried my Knoppix live CD and that also crashed during startup. The Knoppix crash is a screen freeze about 30 seconds into the install. I then put the jumpers back like they were and tried to overclock with Central Tweaking Unit. This also immediately crashes as soon as I hit "apply." The machine resets itself and comes back up at 550 MHz. Ideas anyone? In the next day or so I will try the chip in my desktop and see if I can get to 600 MHz there.

Ewells, to get 600, it looks as though you'll have to try a little bit more voltage. You might also try experimenting with a little lower FSB, to see if you can get to somewhere between 550 and 600 MHz. Getting it to do 600 in your desktop ought to be easy with some voltage and good cooling.

Treppiede, that was the logic I used when I bought one of these, http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=15921&item=6746009068&rd=1 . At 1.6 volts, I thought for sure it would run 550 at 2.0 or 2.1. Well it did at 2.1, but as I said before, it began to overheat. You are looking at a different CPU that may clock differently than mine did. But I want to hit 600, and a K6-2+ 550 is my safest bet. I'm tired of experimenting. My K6-2+ 450 with 2.0 does 550 at 2.0. That K6-3+ ought to be able to do 550 at 1.8. If you think you can be happy with it if it will only do 550 with the limited cooling we have to work with, then it should be a good purchase. It might do 600 without overheating, but I wouldn't count on it (but let us know if it does, I might buy one). There seems to be a good reason why AMD quit at 550 with the K6-2 core.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Repo Man: I tried the chip in my desktop and easily got to 600 MHz just like you said. I did have to bump it up to 2.1 volts though. But it runs great. I ran it for several hours with no problems and the CPU temp never exceeded 91F. I am considering buying the same K6 III+ chip you bought and installing it in the desktop.

I then took the chip out of the desktop and put it back in the laptop and tried adjusting the FSB as you suggested. It ran at 570 MHz (6 x 95)/2.0 volts for a short time and then crashed. I bumped the voltage up to 2.1 and it doesn't even boot. I then took it down to 1.9 volts and it wouldn't boot there either. I then put it back to 2.0 volts and it hangs at the Win98 welcome screen. Any more ideas or do I just need to live happily with 550MHz?

I think you are being limited by the thermal pad. Even plain white thermal grease is a much better conductor than that thermal pad. But you have to be ready to file a couple of millimeters of material from the heatsink to make up for the lost thickness. Or try using a thin piece of copper or aluminum coated with thermal grease to make up for the lost thickness. You'll have to balance the work needed against your desire to get higher than 550.

So you are saying that my whole problem at this point is heat? Does it get hot that quickly? It seems to me that I could at least get through the startup process before it shuts down. I'll take a look at what I can do with the cooling. How did your modification work? Have you been able to get higher than 550? What voltage do you think I have the best shot, 2.0 or 2.1?
Elton

Yes, I believe that is the critical difference between your ability to run it at 600 in your desktop, but not in your laptop. They heat very quickly. Overclocking often requires increased voltage to overcome resistance. That increased voltage increases heat, which increases resistance still further. And overclocking itself increases heat, which increases resistance which....

A standard Socket 7 heatsink with white thermal compound offers much better cooling that the HSF in our laptops, especially with that old dried out thermal pad. A thick layer of regular thermal compound would probably be better than the pad, but not nearly as good as it would if the HSF is filed down, or a shim is used.

The K6-3+ 400 would run at 550, but it would display a "sparkly" effect almost immediately on starting a Divx movie. I think it booted ok at 600, but I knew I coudn't run it at that speed since it wouldn't even do 550 without overheating. I can't really say about the voltage, you'll have to continue to experiment.

OK, I'm convinced that it is a cooling problem. I will go to work on that. I checked out a book from the local library that has a very good section on overclocking. There are some interesting charts in there that show the overclockability of just about every processor out there and what the average OC is for each one. It says that for my chip that 580MHz is the average OC for that chip. That doesn't mean that I can't get to 600, it's just an average based on a survey they did.

I put the clock speed back to 570MHz/2.1 and I will concentrate on getting it to work at that speed and then go up to 600MHz. I surfed for about an hour last night at 570 before it went unstable. I am committed to solving this problem. I have a couple of ideas. I will research the best material to use for a shim to maximize heat transfer and I will see what I can do about beefing up both of the fans in the unit. I am also looking at a complete homemade design for the heat sink. I have some old heatsinks I think I can cut and modify into something that may work.

Walter,
I was researching last night and stumbled on something you may be able to use. A Linux guy has written a program similar to Central Tweaking Unit that allows Linux users to up the clock speed and enable write allocation. This program is written for K6 2+/3+ processors only. He goes into great detail as to how to install the program. All that Linux stuff is over my head but you may want to check it out and let us know what you think. There are also some other K6 2+/3+ specific programs that could be useful to Windows users. Here's the link: http://k6plus.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Downloads&file=index&req=viewdownload&cid=1

Scroll down to K6speed Linux Edition. Hope this is useful.

Elton

Elton, sorry for the long time it took me to host and post your RAM picture but I've been swamped with schoolwork (17 credits plus UNIX/Networking assignment due this week)...

Here's the pic you sent me after a quick re-sizing:
RAM.jpg

Here is a higher-resolution pic I found of what appears to be the same exact module (m464s3254cts-l7a):
s_p_15455_1.jpg

ewells55 said:
Walter, I was researching last night and stumbled on something you may be able to use.
Great work!!! Thanks so much, that will help me a lot. I will catch up with you guys as soon as I get my CPU and let you know.

Regards,

Walter

Guys,
I decided to buy two AMD + series CPUs and run one on my Laptop and the other on a desktop I am building for routing purposes (OpenBSD baby!!!). I already have a mini-tower with a microATX Socket7 motherboard, but the mobo will have to be upgraded to a Super 7.

Elton, what motherboard are you running on your desktop? Chances are it's not a microATX but I am curious anyways.

Does anybody remember what is the best microATX motherboard for Super7?
I am looking at a couple of ASUS P5-99VM mobos, any other advice?

Thanks,

Walter

repo man said:
Are you sure you need to upgrade your motherboard? Many non Super 7 motherboards are capable of running the K6-2/3+ CPUs just fine.
Thanks for the advice man, yes I would like to upgrade it regardless because the support on that board is very poor and it doesn't even see HDDs larger than 8Gb. I know I could use a resident emulation utility like the one that comes with MaxBlast but if I can find a decent deal I would prefer to have a nice little ASUS under the hood. It's not as important as my laptop though.

Walter

Walter, my desktop has a DFI K6BV3+/66 w/2 mb pipeline burst cache. I have maxed out the memory (thanks to good bidding on ebay) at 768 mb. The voltage range is very broad, 3.5V max. down to 1.3V min. The FSB is limited, however, to 100 MHz. The board is designed for K6 2+/3+ processors and therefore has a BIOS compatible with these chips. I have been very happy with it, especially for the price ($19) I got it for new three years ago. It was an upgrade from a 486/100 MHz. I also currently have an 80 GB HDD Western Digital that I bought new for $30 during the Christmas holidays.
Elton

I played with my laptop last night and got it to run at 600MHz with no problem. I took my Kirby and put the hose up to the fan outlet and then jumped the processor up to 600 just to see what would happen (I have a picture to prove it). It ran great for over thirty minutes but the noise drove me crazy. Before I invested a lot of time into solving the cooling problem, I wanted to prove to myself that it would run at that rate if I had enough cooling. I'm convinced. I am currently looking around for a much higher capacity fan. I will keep you updated.
Elton

Walter,
Have you bought your processors yet or are you shopping? What did you decide to get for each? I am looking for one for my desktop. I have bid on several on eBay but they went for too much. I am going to be patient and get it for the price I want. The processor I get depends on the deal but I must be able to overclock it to 600 on my desktop.

Elton

repo man said:
What is your motherboard?
I don't remember the current mobo, I will open the case and let you know.
I have just purchased an MSI MS-5182 on eBay for ~$15 shipped, check it out:
Link.

It's really nothing special, remember I am limited by the microATX format, but there are a couple of forums out there where users specifically posted their success with the '+' series of K6-2 and K6-III so I know it will support it with the proper BIOS update.

Elton, your DFI sounds like a sweeeeeet little Super Socket 7 Mobo. Great voltage, huge cache... wow I am really impressed.
Let me check their website, perhaps they make a miniature version of yours in mATX format.

ewells55 said:
Have you bought your processors yet or are you shopping? [...] I am going to be patient and get it for the price I want. The processor I get depends on the deal
Elton, I haven't purchased my CPUs yet. I am in the exact same boat as you. We really should organize each other and take turns in buying these CPUs, otherwise we are going to wind up raising the prices on each other... :p
I am in no rush really, so feel free to buy yours and let me know when you are done so I can do my bidding. ;)

Oh well... let's keep each other updated... I'll be back with news.

Walter

PS= I forgot to mention that a couple of evenings ago I had set the alarm to go off 5 minutes before the auction for a Samsung RAM module like Elton's would expire on eBay, and I forgot to bid on it!!! Arghhh I almost started crying like a little girl when I saw it went for $20 and change....!!! Oh well.

This doesn't sound promising (On the MSI board):
Can't enable L2 cache in BIOS, must use cacheonw.exe. Some issues have been reported whereby going into the BIOS (even making no changes) "kills" the L2 cache, which seems to be cured by putting in a K6-2, booting, shutting down, then putting a K6-III+ back in.
http://compatlist.k6plus.com/

Nothing that can't be lived with I guess.

I'll take my K6-3+ 400 and see if it runs ok at 600 MHz in my GA-5AA. Then you guys will know whether or not to buy one for your desktops.

repo man said:
This doesn't sound promising (On the MSI board)
Oh well it was 15 bucks shipped, I figured I'd play with it. Besides, there are a couple of success stories online with the only complain being that the speed reported was wrong.

I looked over the link you posted and did some impulsive bidding on eBay for this puppy. I didn't feel like spending more than 22-23 bucks on it shipped so I only wound up raising the price for the poor guy from $8 to $14. Oh well I guess it's part of the game.

So RepoMan, do you have a name? What is the best microATX mobo in your opinion?

Let me know. I'll keep you updated on the MSI mobo.

Regards,

Walter

Can't you find an AT case by the curb somewhere? That would sure make it easier to find a Socket 7 motherboard.

Is the any chance you could fit an AT motherboard in your micro ATX case? The Gigabyte GA-5AA is tiny, and it has an ATX power connector as well as AT.

Of the micro ATX motherboards listed on the K6-2+ compatibility site, I'd say the Soyo is probably the best bet. They are listed as having full mobile compatibilty, and Soyo probably made some of the best Super 7 motherboards. Here is one listed on Ebay, http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4615&item=6747772373&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW .

Guess What Ladies?!

I finally got around opening up the case I have and it turned out I have a Tekram P5M4-M+ motherboard. After searching the K6 compatibility site, I found out that there is a BIOS update out there that allows the use of K6+ series of CPUs!!!!! The only reason why I didn't remember what mobo I had is because this is the barebone I had lent to a friend which I now upgraded to an Athlon XP so I just got my hands back on it.

That is great news, now the question is... The Jumper Scheme on my motherboard only shows a voltage range between 2.2-3.5v. I am kinda worried because most + series of K6 CPUs run at lower voltages. How should I deal with that? Any alternate Jumper scheme that you guys know of? Other than that it looks like I am set, since the multiplier goes from x3.5 to x5.5 (perhaps I can try to hack out a x6 with the jumpers) and FSB range is 66-124MHz.

I also hope that the author of the patched BIOS was able to add support for hard drives larger than 8Gb. Last time I tried, I couldn’t run large hard drives with the latest BIOS I got from Tekram.

I am gonna keep my fingers crossed. In the mean time, I'll calm down with eBay and just wait for the little MSI I bought and keep it as a spare I guess. :)

Please let me know if you have any additional info about my Tekram.

Walter

I strongly suspected that might be the case. If you'll take a look at the URL I keep posting, you'll see he has included support for 128 gigabyte harddrives, http://web.inter.nl.net/hcc/J.Steunebrink/k6plus.htm . His patched BIOSs work flawlessly; I've used them many times in several different motherboards.

WIth a good cooler and thermal compound, 2.2 isn't really a problem. I set my cousin up with a K6-2+ 450 at 550 system in 2002. I had to decap it and run the voltage to 2.4 to keep it error free when running a system burn in test. My aunt now has it, and it is still going strong. You might search the web to see if you can track down an unofficial jumper setting that is lower. Take a look at this article for inspiration, http://www6.tomshardware.com/howto/20000725/

repo man said:
you'll see he has included support for 128 gigabyte harddrives
Yeah, I saw that in the URL, but then again the readme.txt file that came with the BIOS doesn't mention any hard drive support change at all, and it assures that it's an exact copy of the latest original BIOS from Tekram with "K6+" support.

Oh well I guess there is only one way to find out. I'll keep you guys updated.

In the mean time Repoman, accept my apologies for not having took the time to read your links in their entirety, unfortunately lately I've been slammed with schoolwork (did I mention I am taking 17 credits?) and I don't have much time to really sit down and do research like I used to.

I'll be back soon with updates.

Regards,

Walter

If you guys want to buy one of those K6-IIIE+ 400s for your desktop, they'll probably do 600. Mine does. After a lot of fooling around, it is running stable at 605 (110x5.5). I'm not sure what the voltage is though, I set it to auto. I had more success with that setting than with any manual setting, and I tried 2.0 through 2.3. I also ran it at 6x100 sucessfully.

It does get hot though. I used an old stock Socket A cooler with AS5. Just for the heck of I put my Ti4200 in it, and got a score of 3,033 in 3D Mark 2001.

With laptop cooling I don't think you're going to get more than 500 MHz out of it. But a little over 600 MHz is just about the best you can do with Socket 7.

Both this patched and the original V1.06 BIOS have full 128GB support.

Evidently the last release from Tekram supported 128 gigabyte drives. But you can take what he has to say to the bank. He's a really good guy, and patched a BIOS just for a Tekram board I asked him about.

Hey Guys,
I just won a K6-2+ on eBay. It is a 533MHz 2.0v ACZ. Elton has not posted here in a few days, I hope we were not bidding against each other. This Puppy is going straight in my Laptop, I will let you guys know as soon as I get it. I am now concentrating on a K6-III+ for my desktop. Wish me luck.

Regards,

Walter

Update:
I finally got my new K6-2+. The processor is meant to go in my laptop, but in the mean time I wanted to play with it on the desktop (Tekram barebone) so yesterday night I went ahead and started playing around:

- Tried with old BIOS, I wanted to see the differences before/after the custom BIOS update
- Mobo voltage settings only start from 2.2v minimum. That is bad news because my K6-2+ is 2.0v, but I figured that a couple of posts @ 2.2v with good cooling wouldn't do anything. I set the FSB to 100 and the multiplier to 5.5, even though the CPU is a 533MHz.
- The machine turns on, but won't post at all. Screen is dead. No beeps.
- Went to sleep.

I will try setting it to 533MHz and see if it posts. If it doesn't, I guess I'll have to put the regular K6-2 back in and upgrade the BIOS before trying again, although I don't think that is the case since it appears that the custom BIOS only optimizes handling of the K6-2+ architecture as well as correcting the CPU type post message among other things.

Oh well, I will let you guys know. In the mean time, what FSBxRatio do you recommend me to use when I try the 533MHz clock?

Regards,

Walter

Most Socket 7 and Super 7 BIOSs would POST with a K6-2/3+ even if they didn't correctly recognize it. But not all. I've run across a couple of known good motherboards that would not POST with a K6-2+, but worked fine with a standard K6-2. I was afraid that would be the case with my 1625. Probability is high that you'll be fine once you update the BIOS.

I picked up a K6-2+ 550. But 600 is still out of reach with this HSF. It works pretty well at 6x95, but it will start to show artifacts if I play an Xvid video. I'm also a little disappointed. Even at 600 MHz ( which I ran briefly) it isn't capable of smooth playback of certain Xvid files, or ripped DVDs. I knew it would be close, but it can't quite make it. So my hopes of using it as a portable DVD player are dashed.

But most Xvid/Divx files play nicely at 550. I'm still searching for a way to improve the cooling.

Allright guys, here are some news
(please note that all the above refers to my Super Socket 7 box, not the laptop unless specified):

- I put the good old K6-2 500 and posted fine.
- Updated the BIOS with the patched one.
- Swapped CPU again and it posts great, K6-2+ recognized properly, set to 100x5.5 = 550MHz @ 2.2v

And here comes my problem, as I have mentioned in my previous post:

Treppiede said:
- Mobo voltage settings only start from 2.2v minimum. That is bad news because my K6-2+ is 2.0v

I noticed that UpgradeAbility sells a CPU adapter that allows K6-2/III+ CPUS (2.0v and less) to run on motherboards that can only supply higher voltages. Problem is that I am not gonna spend 50 bucks on one of those puppies. Wish me luck while I try to find a solution. Yes I know that 0.2v is not big deal with good cooling but I'd love to be able to run standard voltage since I am not too interested in overclocking in this case.

I am gonna install the K6-2+ on my laptop tomorrow, and I will need to buy another K6-2/III+ series for the Super Socket 7 board. I will need to find a way to run about 2.0-2.1v maximum, because - again - I am not interested in overclocking since UNIX/Linux boxes don't like it much.

Repoman: how would you recommend me to set my K6-2+ @ 533MHz?
95 x 5.5 = 522.5 seems the only solution, unless I go for 100 x 5.5 and try the 17MHz overclock to 550.

Walter

I don't think 17 MHz will be a problem at all.

$50.00 for a voltage adapter is ridiculous. You could buy the best Super 7 motherboard ever made for that price. I really don't think you should worry about the slight overvolting. Just put an old Socket A cooler on it, and run it. It will last longer than you'll want or need it to.

Repoman: I have installed the K6-2+ and as you have mentioned in the past, the POST screen recognizes it as a K5 although FreeBSD sees it as a K6-III 550MHz... :D The difference in speed in the KDE environment was incredibly noticeable, I am very impressed! What an upgrade!

Now, I'd like to share something with you: while I was browsing around google desperately looking for some sort of patched BIOS upgrade (similar to the one I flashed on my Tekram), I stumbled across this website. It turns out that in Europe toshiba offered the Model numbers 1620CDS and 1640CDT (the latter being the same as the 1620 but with a REAL TFT screen, unlike ours :rolleyes: ). These two models sold in Europe came equipped with K6-2+ 475MHz CPUs. According to that site, the mobos seem to have a similar architecture. Now, you can only imagine what I started thinking about. Yes, I went to Toshiba Europe Support Page, downloaded the BIOS upgrade for those puppies and tried to flash mine with it. At that point I was so pumped up I was willing to risk it. Well the BIOS Flash routine recognized the model discrepancy and stopped. I tried running the BIOS update command with the /? switch to see if I could find a "force bios" flag, with no apparent luck.

So here's where I am stuck. See if you can make it happen man, perhaps between the two of us we can manage to find a BIOS ROM that will allow proper recognition of K6-2/III+ series CPUs as well as little nice pluses like USB boot and whatnot... ;)

If all else fails, do you think that the guy that makes custom BIOSes will have the time to help us out and patch a little custom BIOS for our Satellites? I am willing to pay him, perhaps we can't afford much but he may appreciate it and help us out. Could you get in contact with him and ask him or do you want me to do so?

Take care man, let me know at your earliest convenience, now I can hardly wait.

Walter

PS=PM me with your AIM handle or phone number if you can.

Here would be the place to ask for a modded BIOS, http://www.wimsbios.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=27&sid=e913e6e2b74a80432625022c7ae04048

Jan Steunebrink goes by Biosman on that forum. But Phoenix BIOSs are harder to modify than Award. Even if he were able to mod one for us, finding a way to flash it isn't easy. I've used Uniflash for that sort of thing, but the flash ROm on this motherboard isn't recognized by Uniflash, so it cannot flash to it. It can save the BIOS, which I have done. But I don't know what I'm going to do with it.

Good find on the 1620. That explains some confusion from when I bought mine. The seller never said anything about it having a K6-2+, but someone posted that it was a good deal beacuse when they looked it up, the specs said it had the plus. I was a little disappointed when it didn't but the price was still pretty good, and it was my fault for not checking the specs out myself.

I managed to flash mine to the 1620 BIOS (I was feeling brave), but it won't work for us. It gives a floppy drive error, and says the device has been disabled. It locked up during boot, and would only boot in Safe Mode. Fortunately the floppy isn't disabled, and I was able to flash back to the correct BIOS. The 1620 probably has a different I/O chip on the motherboard. It did recognize my K6-2+ correctly during the POST.

I guess I'd be willing to chip in $20.00 for a patched BIOS, especially if it allowed memory settings, and that sort of thing

If you're curious to try the 1620 BIOS for yourself (I don't think you'll want to run it because of the halt on floppy error) I wrote the 1625 BIOS upgrade to a floppy, deleted the .rom file (512 kb) copied the one for the 1620 over to it, and renamed it the same as the one for the 1625.

Repoman: I posted on that Forum. Please contribute to my thread and help me out fighting for the cause.

I really wanna make this happen, what do you say?

Walter

What's up guys? I finally got back in town after a hectic two weeks. I wasted no time buying one of those K6-IIIE+ 400s for my desktop. It should be here in a couple of days. I will try it first in my Satellite before installing it permanently in my desktop. I plan to overclock it to 600 MHz.

Walter, I have read page 4 of the thread twice and I still have a hard time following your problem with the K6-2+ in your Satellite. I bought the same processor and installed it in my Satellite 1605CDS weeks ago and it posts properly and runs fine at 550 MHz. In fact, I am writing this post with it. I still have plans to get it to work at 600 MHz. Since I have had my laptop since it was new, I have a BIOS update issued by Toshiba a few years ago. It is version V1.11A. If it will help, I am happy to email it to you, let me know.

Elton

Treppeide, Uranium's suggestion to see about buying a new BIOS might not be a bad one. If it is $35.00, we could split the cost, which would make the price fairly reasonable.

Welcome back Elton! And congratulations on the K6-III+ purchase! :)
I can't wait to get mine for my desktop...

ewells55 said:
I have read page 4 of the thread twice and I still have a hard time following your problem with the K6-2+ in your Satellite. [...] I have a BIOS update issued by Toshiba a few years ago. It is version V1.11A.
The K6-2+ is booting fine in my Satellite, however I would like a patched BIOS that WILL properly recognize the K6plus in the POST screen (instead of calling it a Generic K5) as well as optimize its usage to take full advantage of it. I would also love a few options such as USB boot enabling and the like.

If you press ESC or F2 on your POST screen where it shows the red Toshiba logo, how does your 1605CDS see the K6plus as? v1.14 is the latest available on the Toshiba website, and that is what I have on my system. You may want to upgrade to it, or just wait for the patched BIOS to be released (crossing fingers)... ;)

repo man said:
Uranium's suggestion to see about buying a new BIOS might not be a bad one. If it is $35.00, we could split the cost, which would make the price fairly reasonable.
Repoman: $35 is very reasonable, and if Elton joins us it would total to about $12 per person. I called the 1(800)800-BIOS number and spoke with a guy by the name of Gene. He was quite rude and after telling me that Toshiba laptops use a proprietary BIOS and that they don't support it "regardless if it's Phoenix or whatever" he proceeded to quickly end the conversation like if I was actually bothering him. Total call time was 32 seconds as logged by my phone, including about 15 seconds of hold time by the way. Feel free to try yourselves if you feel lucky, perhaps you get to speak with somebody else with a more customer-service oriented attitude. :rolleyes:

With that said I would like to wait for Jan to get back to me, he PMed me yesterday and said he'd look into it, so let's wait for him and see what happens.

Repoman and Elton: Please go to the thread I have started in the other Forum and show some interest, make your requests! Don't make me fight this alone! ;)
If we show some interest the chances of getting some help will increase, especially if we offer to make a friendly donation to the person that helps us.

Walter

I checked and my machine also posts the processor as a K5. I'm willing to contribute to the BIOS patch as well. Count me in.

Elton

Just saw this in another thread, http://www.mrbios.com/ .

I came across that place years ago, but I've never been in a position to seriously contemplate purchasing a BIOS upgrade before now. Time for bed now. Maybe ( if work isn't insane like it was today) I'll be able to give them a call or an email tomorrow.

Hey guys. Nice mods to the Satellite!

I recently got a 1625CDT after my father swore it was just too slow. Well after I cleaned up all the crap and viruses it runs a lot better. Now my problem - when I got it, it had W98 and it recognized the 256mb ram chip it had (PNY - 32ZHSSTK4642973). Now I loaded XP, but it shows only 64 mb. It has 1.14 BIOS and it sees the RAM but XP doesn't. Any ideas? Someone noted seeing a post on it, but I have not been able to find it yet. Maybe this is just a dumb questions and I need to do something in XP.

I have also been closely watching your posts with faster chips. I hope you come up with a solution. I am not yet shopping for a new chip, I would be happy to get the memory working first, but I would be willing to contribute a little to the cause to help get the new BIOS written.

I also need a basic CHEAP wireless card. b is fine. I was looking at this one http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=39-107-005&depa=5 Any suggestions.

Thanks for any help and all the good info I have gotten from reading your posts.

Andrew

my 1605 is FINALY shipped, its taken me a month to get my friend who gave me it as a bday gift to send it.

but its overshadowed by my newest toy... a Gatway Solo 5300

Dono which to mod lol

One more questions if you don't mind. It appears I am in need of a new battery for my 1625 as well. I have tried to recondition it according to the toshiba website (http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/...1073769661&ST=21&SortOrder=LT_WEIGHT&awhit=25),
but 5 minutes is all it will last. Has anyone else replaced their battery? Is there one better than another? It looks like a new one is around $80, does this sound right?

Thanks in advance for any help
Andrew

Back