Check out this new item at SVC

Nivram

Gawd
Thought this was cool enough to share with my fellow modders here. SVC is calling this a "DIY (do it yourself, natch!) power supply unit modulation kit", and you can see 'em here .

Didn't really take a good look at it, to see what all you have to do to "modulate" your power supply, but they do point out that using it will void any warrantee that you have on the p/s. If you've ever wanted an x-connect, tho, but would rather have a better quality p/s than those made by powmax, it might be worth a look.

And at $25 (plus shipping, of course), it's not a bad deal. :D

I'm not impressed. for one thing, it only does your moles power and 12v aux, not the main ATX cord, the parts probably add up to $4.99 in cost to SVC, they are off-the shelf parts you can get, and do yourself. Plus with the work involved with that if you invest a little more time you could do a solution that looks more like ultra x-connect. I'll be doing one for my new rig, my enermax will be water cooled and modular. I'll post a write up when done ;)

I should buy one and duplicate it for less $$$. I've got access to a laserjet. Everything else (as topcat has mentioned) is off-the-shelf parts. Hell, the one I'd do would have the ATX connector on it as well. And maybe even a fan connecotr or 2 for the fans inside the PSU.

topcat989 said:
I'm not impressed. for one thing, it only does your moles power and 12v aux, not the main ATX cord, the parts probably add up to $4.99 in cost to SVC, they are off-the shelf parts you can get, and do yourself. Plus with the work involved with that if you invest a little more time you could do a solution that looks more like ultra x-connect. I'll be doing one for my new rig, my enermax will be water cooled and modular. I'll post a write up when done ;)

I can understand the complaining about the $5 in parts and costing $25.
But they did put it together, so I gotta give them something.

But why would you make the main atx connector a modular piece?
It's going to be needed regardless of your setup, it's a required piece, so why spend the time to make it removable.

mobiux said:
But why would you make the main atx connector a modular piece?
It's going to be needed regardless of your setup, it's a required piece, so why spend the time to make it removable.
Thats what I was thinking :S most people here seem pretty stupid.... unless they can explain to me how a computer would work without the ATX plug.

I can think of a perfect reason. Variable lengths. You'd be able to select which length you wanted. Might as well be able to pick what color sleeving you want too.

They've been selling the same kit at FrozenCPU for a couple months now. If you click on the installation instructions link it brings up a link to FrozenCPU's installation guide. Hmmmmm . . . .

Captain Colonoscopy said:
They've been selling the same kit at FrozenCPU for a couple months now. If you click on the installation instructions link it brings up a link to FrozenCPU's installation guide. Hmmmmm . . . .

lol that is funny. I've bought from SVC before, because they ship USPS priority mail.

vivid7 said:
is that like the ultra x-connect?

It is a DIY kit to mod a given PSU into a modular unit. It allows you the capability to add/remove a number of power cable leads. You will have to make your own leads either from bulk wire or the wires you cut off to make the PSU modular.

So, yes, it would make a PSU like an ultra x-connect. Except it would probably be better because any name brand PSU is better than the crap PowMax makes. Maybe not as shiny but definately better.

Captain Colonoscopy said:

HAHAHA they totally stole that

I think it looks like absolute shit. First of all, there would be a big box hanging off your power supply. Secondly, it has a bunch of plugs sticking out of it. A much much much cleaner solution would be to mount jacks in the power supply, such that they don't extend past the outside of the power supply(significantly, at least), and then you could plug cables into that. This device just looks hideous. I say if you are going to void your warranty(who doesn't?), then at least make it look decent.

IMO, you'd be better off with a simple terminal strip. Not only is it more flexible, but you won't loose as much power (albeit not much is really lost) compaired to putting another poor contact between all the wires using a molex connector. Sure, it doesn't have an ATX or 4-pin connector, but seriously - why would you need to have a removeable ATX cable anyways?? "Just in case" my ass...lol

Back