CHI locals - WTB/Borrow: Ryzen 1200 up to a Ryzen 2700 for 10 minutes

neural0

Limp Gawd
So I bought an ASRock X370 Taichi and thought I was getting a terrific deal until I realized that the BIOS version it shipped with was not compatible with the Ryzen 5 3600 processor that I purchased with it. I need to update the BIOS to support it and, you guessed it, I have no CPU that it can use to run the update.

I have contacted ASRock, they have told me I have to pay for shipping for them to update the BIOS for the motherboard they claimed was compatible with the CPU.

I have contacted AMD about the CPU Boot Kit, they haven't responded at all and it's been weeks.

I have tried EVERY local computer repair shop, no one has a Ryzen 1000 or 2000 series processor.

HELP! Are you in the Chicagoland area? Do you have a processor from here that is compatible with a 4.70 or older BIOS? Can I borrow it for ten minutes to run the update? Can you help me Obi-Won?

If Compcons can't help PM me. I have a 1500x, 3200g, 2700x in house and a 2600 in the mail. I'm in the SW burbs if you want to make the drive.
If you end up wanting to divest yourself of one of those, PM me, I'm trying to assemble an upgrade from a Nehalem Xeon Frankenputer-style.

If Compcons can't help PM me. I have a 1500x, 3200g, 2700x in house and a 2600 in the mail. I'm in the SW burbs if you want to make the drive.
Thanks! Syncing up schedules with compcon but will be sure to reach out if we can't make it work!

When I spoke to someone on the web they said it was $40 to diagnose there, but I'm really interested if that was inaccurate?
Hmm I guess so if you didn't buy it there. I remember they did it if you brought a board from them it was free.

Letting you know, as someone who updated a X370 Asrock board from Ryzen Launch to eventually a 3900X, you should still be able to use a first gen processor in it after you go past the "point of no return." 3-series bios update, despite it explicitly telling you otherwise. Could be useful for troubleshooting.
(My launch 1700 is back in it since I moved my 3900X to a new Mobo)

However I also followed every BIOS update step that they said was required because I didn't want to risk it.

If you end up wanting to divest yourself of one of those, PM me, I'm trying to assemble an upgrade from a Nehalem Xeon Frankenputer-style.
They are all in use or I guess in the case of the 2600 going to be in use.

Reactions: Halon
like this
Back