Chilled Watercooling mishmash

4DoorGTZ

Limp Gawd
So I have a Coolit Freezone as talked about here However its not up to my expectations while OC'ing a Kentsfield. I've modded it with a higher cfm 120mm fan and while its better then air, for the price I'm still disapointed.

SO, since i've already voided the warranty by modding it I'd like to add a radiator into the loop, hope the rad can drop the temps before it goes through the TEC's therefore making them work less. I'm not gonna go buy a whole watercooling kit, and would like to reuse everything I have with the Freezone.

I'd like to ask if anyone thinks this is a bad idea? Only problem I can forsee is perhaps the freezone's pump isnt strong enough to push the water through the added loop distance. And I'm gonna be opening up a "maintenance free" contained water cooler so I'm gonna have to replace/top up with extra fluid.

Anyone have any pointers? I believe the tubing already there is 1/2" outer diameter, and perhaps I should get a new cpu block?

Thanks for any help, PS this is my 4000ppd [H]ard folder :)

It all depends on the temp of your water after the block.

If your water temp is the lower that your air temp then a new rad will make your temps worse by heating the water up.
If its the same as your air temp then the slower flow rate will also hurt your temps.
Only if the water temp is higher that your air temp and the cooling gained offsets the slower flow rate will the second rad be of any use.

Luck ........... :D

Oh I'm sure it'll be of use, with my current OC its running 66c 24/7 (cuz it folds 24/7 not 100% load tho, VMware SMP's) Even Idle its 50c I figured it would cool the water after the cpu block 5-10c so that the TEC's in the freezone might not be so overloaded. Thanks for that link Justin, I didnt know where to find such a thin/small rad.

That's a pretty cool radiator...

To the OP, remember, that the water temperature after the waterblock isn't going to be that much higher than before the block, "A 5-10'c drop of water temps" isn't going to happen.

I'm sure it'll help though.

Back