Chimp Challenge : Official thread

Added the official challenge rules, read the first post for more details.

If an engineer that can speak 5 languages can't figure it out, then I won't even try to answer.

hey!!! i didn't say i can't figure that out!!!
but it's a lot easier to just ask ;)

man, my first Quad won't be online until the 6th or 7th. bummer. Ordering the parts Friday morning (2nd) and it is all dependent on which w[h]oredhouse they ship from this time. If NJ, I could have the parts on the 5th or 6th but, if it is TN as it has been lately, I won't get the parts til the 7th. Used to always be NJ. Oh well, it will get here when it gets here. :D

Dang this is coming up quick! I'm not even done overclocking yet!!! I've been way too busy.

It's definitely time to finish the tune-up of all the boxens this week. I hope to be done with mine (2 done, 1 in progress and 2 to do pending case and motherboard).

Spread the reminder to everyone to gear up this week, it's closing fast ;)

Yep 8 strong atm and one more tonight all ready to go all Monkey Balls out for [H]ardRape !

BRING IT ON!

jockitems___1193923933.jpg

I'll hopefully be able to get my E6600 back up and running in the next couple days. I'll have that and my quad running for the challenge.

I already switched 7 boxens at work to [H]ardApe since I will not access them until next tuesday (tomorrow and monday, I will be out of town). I will switch my home farm sunday evening so I will be ready.

If you don't think you can access some boxens around may 5th, it's better to switch too early than to miss the output where it count.

Fold on !!!!!

For those who is wondering if [H]ardApe is created, here is it : http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=userpage&username=[H]ardApe with mine as the first WU (I switched a boxen with 97% to do and 3065 WU).

Ok, so we all change our name to [H]ardApe, gotcha. I'll change on Sunday. :D

Looks like I got the new quad just in time. Count me in....and I dont even have to change my name for the contest :D

Geez, make it on Cinco de Mayo. I hope that I am not too drunk to switch my boxen over:) Don't worry, I set an Outlook reminder!

Added the badge for [H]ardApe and a link to the stats page ;)

So do we need to close down F@H to do the reconfig or can we run -configonly and keep the client churning? I've never switched like that mid WU

I can't wait for this :) Hopefully I'll have the VM up by then instead of using just the graphic clients.. but either way, I'll be there to help the team!

Let's go to it "boys and girls" we're gonna' smoke the sh*t outa' the other teams in the "Chimp Challenge". To put it politically correct "we're gonna' "totally out distance the other teams in the area of pernts" or "we're gonna whip their monkey tushes (butts)" I believe this for a fact, not talk or braggin' :D

Patiently awaiting a Q6600, so's I can VM tha' crap outa' it (nothin' like bein' late for tha' party, thanks for the advice fellow [H]orde members, you know who I'm talkin' about) In the meantime I've borged my toaster, upped the "cat nip" rations for my cat and converted all my boxen over to a store bought disk of Ubuntu release 8.04 (hardy). :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, We're gonna' do a "expotional" study (I love that word, it sounds sooo... "high brow" :rolleyes:) on the pernts spread during the "Chimp Challenge". (I do know what the word means, I just don't care if I use it correctly in my grammar. (not to be confused with my old "gramma'" D'oh :rolleyes:)

When everthang' is workin' properly I gets 2106 pernts from one of my my WC'ed E6600's (OC'ed 3.0 GHz) and 2120 pernts from my other WC'ed E6600 also mildly OC'ed to 3.0 GHz (I use the first rig as kinda' my "all purpose" machine like for "surfin'", emailin, etc). I also gets 1728 from my very mildly OC'ed E6420 @ 2.4 GHz, it's the only air cooler I have runnin' ATM. Please keep in mind the above quoted figures are from FAHmon 2.3.2b and may be optimistic :p

Edit: I apologize, I've omitted pertinent information like what a current cpu temps reading happens to be without telling the individual that I'm asking the freakin' ambient temp around the boxen, sheech :( On the ppd figures above I was lucky getting the high point WU 2605 on all three machines at the same time :eek: I get 2106 ppd on one E6600, 2120 ppd on the other E6600 and 1728 ppd on my E6420. My cat ain't finished any WU's yet and I'm getting EU's on my toaster :p

It kind of stinks that this doesn't start until 3:00 PM EDT, but at least that gives me more time to change everything over on Monday.

I have two p1487's that are scheduled to complete next week. I'll swap them over to [H]ardApe over the weekend. They've been cooking for a while now. ;)

It kind of stinks that this doesn't start until 3:00 PM EDT, but at least that gives me more time to change everything over on Monday.

Yeah, I definitely feel for "heavy duty" folders like yourself. It must be one major "pain in tha' behind" to switch over all your boxen. All us folders on the [H]orde do really appreciate it though. :eek:

Many Thanks :p

So do we need to close down F@H to do the reconfig or can we run -configonly and keep the client churning? I've never switched like that mid WU

I am pretty sure you will need to shut them down. It is going to be painful :(

I plan to rdp in, stop service, fah -configonly, change username, and reboot x 32.

I am pretty sure you will need to shut them down. It is going to be painful :(

I plan to rdp in, stop service, fah -configonly, change username, and reboot x 32.

Yeah I only have 9 machines to worry about but each have dual smps so still 18 changes, but it is well worth it to [H]ardRape the other 3 teams!

10 Boxen, 24 clients to change here.

I'm just going to edit each client.cfg file with Windozes notepad to change my user name.
Then just reboot each VM.
The only other thing I'll need to do is double check the name has changed to [H]ardApe once each client restarts.

Luck ............. :D

I'm just going to edit each client.cfg file with Windozes notepad to change my user name.
Then just reboot each VM. The only other thing I'll need to do is double check the name has changed to [H]ardApe once each client restart.
I guess this can be done in mid-WU?

Then just reboot each VM.
The only other thing I'll need to do is double check the name has changed to [H]ardApe once each client restarts.

Luck ............. :D

Talking about that do we have a new team number for [H]ardape? Ahh nvm we are doing this under our team name still just a new entity! I see cool :)

Talking about that do we have a new team number for [H]ardape? Ahh nvm we are doing this under our team name still just a new entity! I see cool :)
Team number stays the same. The team still gets credit that way.

I'm going to try and switch my borg over as well as my home farm..... but I have a question...

The only way this will be possible is if I drive across town on Sunday and make the switch. It's impossible for me to do so on Monday......

Is that going to be okay? I don't want to cause any problems.....

I'm going to try and switch my borg over as well as my home farm..... but I have a question...

The only way this will be possible is if I drive across town on Sunday and make the switch. It's impossible for me to do so on Monday......

or u can setup VNCs in those borgs and remote activate them :p

Yeah, you'll be fine. Some have already started switching over. I will probably switch Sunday night myself (depending on when existing WUs are shed-uled to finish)

or u can setup VNCs in those borgs and remote activate them :p

I have discussed the possibility of rdc'ing into the machines with the powers that be and have been given a big ol' "hell no!".... which I understand.....

It sure would make things easier, but I'm not going to complain.... just glad that they have allowed me to fold on their machines at all.....:)

And thanks for the info's Tobit.... Sunday is going to be a busy day for digital:)

Any guesses on what [H]ardApe's PPD will be once we get rolling? Without thinking about it I'm going to say we'll be humming along at around 350k.

Back