Chipset driver download outdated on amd.com versus manufacture sites?

TheForumTroll

Weaksauce
Hi experts!

I've always downloaded drivers directly from AMD/Intel/Nvidia instead of from ASUS etc, but today while updating I noticed that while AMD.com have chipset driver 5.08.02.027, ASUS have 5.11.02.217 and it is like a month old. What's up with that? It is the same driver from AMD, no?

https://www.reddit.com/r/ASRock/comments/17rgqvc/amd_chipset_release_notes/

I don't know the specifics on why it's not on AMD's site, but it appears other board vendors are offering this driver version too. One person commented the only change looks to be the AMD USB4 CM Driver. Perhaps use that version if you are experiencing issues with USB4 ports, otherwise just continue downloading drivers direct from the chipset companies like you have been.

amd provides them to the oem board makers and they can call them whatever they want. id stick with the amd ones.

Reactions: travm
like this
amd provides them to the oem board makers and they can call them whatever they want. id stick with the amd ones.
this has been my experience as well...
I usually install all the drivers from each chipsets website. AMD, realtek, Intel, etc.
Depends I guess. everything usually just works for me.

For me I use the board specific drivers from Asus support. Consider the AMD driver 5.08.02.027 supports multiple platforms I count 16 different chipsets kinda like you can download multi language version of Nvidia drivers not all are for you. It's very likely the latest and greatest will have nothing more in it you need than what you have installed from Asus. If the update included something pertinent for your board it would be on Asus support downloads for your specific board. Bottom line if it ain't broke don't fix it.

For me I use the board specific drivers from Asus support. Consider the AMD driver 5.08.02.027 supports multiple platforms I count 16 different chipsets kinda like you can download multi language version of Nvidia drivers not all are for you. It's very likely the latest and greatest will have nothing more in it you need than what you have installed from Asus. If the update included something pertinent for your board it would be on Asus support downloads for your specific board. Bottom line if it ain't broke don't fix it.
I have found that many of the drivers I download from the ASUS site simply don't install. I click on asussetup.exe (or similar) but nothing, nothing happens. If I check Task Manager, the driver install program doesn't show up.

Is there a workaround? Or, do I need to reconfigure my security software (NortonLifelock)?

I have found that many of the drivers I download from the ASUS site simply don't install. I click on asussetup.exe (or similar) but nothing, nothing happens. If I check Task Manager, the driver install program doesn't show up.

Is there a workaround? Or, do I need to reconfigure my security software (NortonLifelock)?
could be, turf that crap.
and use the ones from amd...

could be, turf that crap.
and use the ones from amd...
Some of the drivers are not from AMD. I have so much that I need to do that I don't want to go chasing around to Intel and other websites just to check on driver release dates, etc.

Some of the drivers are not from AMD. I have so much that I need to do that I don't want to go chasing around to Intel and other websites just to check on driver release dates, etc.
go to intel then, take a few minutes and you only really need chipset and gpu(intel/amd/nvidia). you have time to do it right....
ps: they will have the newest, no need to check dates. if you see "newer" on a board makers site, its just repackaged and date changed.

I maintain Asus drivers are recommended.
That said I also recommend uninstalling the current chipset driver before updating.
Its is normal for Windows to block files delivered from another computer which is where Asus drivers come from.
That process is not always self evident.
Go to folder the driver was downloaded to,
right click the zip file,
select from the resulting context menu >> Scan Now

Scan Now.png

depending on your AV software it may be different
As you can see no threats found, so now it is safe to extract all

scannow.png

Once the file is extracted right click the AsusSetup.exe and click properties followed by ticking the box "Unblock" and then click "Apply"

Unblock.png

At this point you should uninstall the existing chipset driver > Restart > run the new chipset driver exe.

Uninstall.png

All that said I agree 3rd party board components such a Intel network drivers and Realtek Audio drivers etc should be maintained by getting the latest drivers from their website.
The point here is board specific Chipset drivers.

Last edited:
I maintain Asus drivers are recommended.
That said I also recommend uninstalling the current chipset driver before updating.
Its is normal for Windows to block files delivered from another computer which is where Asus drivers come from.
That process is not always self evident.
Go to folder the driver was downloaded to,
right click the zip file
select from context menu >> Scan Now

View attachment 623112

depending on your AV software it may be different
As you can see no threats found, so now it is safe to extract all

View attachment 623111

Once the file is extracted right click the AsusSetup.exe and tick the box "Unblock" and then click "Apply"

View attachment 623114

At this point you should uninstall the existing chipset driver > Restart > run the new chipset driver exe.

View attachment 623115

All that said I agree 3rd party board components such a Intel network drivers and Realtek Audio drivers etc should be maintained by getting the latest drivers from their website.
The point here is board specific Chipset drivers.
you dont need to scan the installer package and amd clearly says, on the download page, to uninstall the old drivers first.

I don't like poking around either and use Intel Driver & Support Assistant
The app runs in the system tray and notifies you when new drivers are available occasionally the software it self will need updated and it tells you that as well.
Works well for me.

The new drivers on asus's site I think have support for the upcoming new AMD cpus. That's what I read. They are newer chipset drivers than what is on the AMD site. I installed them and they work fine no issues to report. Plus I'd rather have the latest drivers anyway. They work just fine here no issues.

Back