Chipset Drivers Fail to Install

CptTrips

Weaksauce
Brand new install of WinXP Prof 64 bit, attempting to install the chipset drivers either from my motherboard CD or latest from the website results in this error:

2hp5bap.jpg

Motherboard is EVGA x58 SLI LE
I can try pluggin my SATA drive into a another port and see if that works, but other than that, I'm at a loss here.

Edit: I've gotten around this for now by copying the temp directory the installer created and then in device manager manually updated each driver with an exclamation point by pointing to the copied directory. Not sure if that installed everything my motherboard needs though.

Now I'm getting random BSOD, judging from other symptons I think my RAM might be bad, gonna run memtest overnight tonight.

Last edited:
Put Windows 7 on that thing. XP is dead.

The reason I was putting XP on this was because Win 7 was randomly BSODing on me and I wanted to rule out the possibility it was the OS that was blowing up on me. Audio drivers wouldn't install unless I disabled digitally signed drivers, not to mention BSOD's every few minutes from the few games I tried installing (Assassin's Creed, GTA 4) as well as randomly on the desktop.

I just ran Memtest86+ v2.11 for 7 hours, 9 passes, 0 errors... I could've sworn it was my RAM acting up, now I have no idea.

I had that issue, where the drivers immediately say 'successful' without doing anything, the explanation I got from an intel employee via email is that drivers for your mobo may not be updated with new chipset drivers, so it installs nothing, you can run the driver installer with the option "-overall" and it will install all drivers again anyway. As far as your bsod, sounds like a hardware issue if XP pro 64 and 7 are both bsoding.

I had that issue, where the drivers immediately say 'successful' without doing anything, the explanation I got from an intel employee via email is that drivers for your mobo may not be updated with new chipset drivers, so it installs nothing, you can run the driver installer with the option "-overall" and it will install all drivers again anyway. As far as your bsod, sounds like a hardware issue if XP pro 64 and 7 are both bsoding.

I'll try the overall command when I get home. I agree with the hardware issue, but what piece? I've run memtest86+, latest version, and no memory errors. Another memory check program I ran, PC-Check, came up with some errors. Not sure why memtest isn't showing the same results. Could the mobo still be bad? Or the PSU? On the Win7 machine, I was able to run Assassins Creed several times for a few hours apiece with no problems (usually until it would BSOD with a random error).

PC-Check is a memory checker? Just because memtest didn't find errors doesn't mean there aren't any, if you tried another memory checker and it gave errors I would definitely try replacing the ram. Otherwise it could be anything, is it a new and good brand PSU? Cuz I've had a bad PSU cause me driver crashes in games before... I would try replacing the ram, the psu, the vid card, then the mobo, in that order... Also before that, try a chkdsk and go through the case, blowing out dust and re-attaching cables and making sure they're firmly in place.

edit - Almost forgot, what's the stop code for the bsod? Try looking it up in a web search, it may give you a clue or two.

Last edited:
PC-Check is a memory checker? Just because memtest didn't find errors doesn't mean there aren't any, if you tried another memory checker and it gave errors I would definitely try replacing the ram. Otherwise it could be anything, is it a new and good brand PSU? Cuz I've had a bad PSU cause me driver crashes in games before... I would try replacing the ram, the psu, the vid card, then the mobo, in that order... Also before that, try a chkdsk and go through the case, blowing out dust and re-attaching cables and making sure they're firmly in place.

edit - Almost forgot, what's the stop code for the bsod? Try looking it up in a web search, it may give you a clue or two.

Yeah, PC-Check allows you to test individual RAM modules one at a time too. The PSU is a brand new Corsair tx650w. Unfortunately, I have no other parts to test in this build, I could borg out my old machine (that I'm currently using as the new one is bugging out on me) and try putting it's old (but definitely working 550w) PSU in there. Same with it's old radeon x1950.

For the BSOD, I ran the minidump checker on them. Minidump reports it was a
Code:
DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID:  COMMON_SYSTEM_FAULT
PROCESS_NAME:  IEXPLORE.EXE

followed by

Code:
IMAGE_NAME:  memory_corruption

resulting apparently from

Code:
Loaded symbol image file: ntkrnlmp.exe

This, however, was in WinXP. When I had Win7 installed I was getting different errors, some were a directx dll and some were an ati dll (I have a new HD 4850 in the new machine)

Well swap what you can (psu and vid card) if that doesn't work you may need to buy more ram, sorta sounds like bad video drivers (try a different vid driver version), but the IE BSOD in XP kinda bucks that theory..

Back