chipset for 4850e & 9600gt htpc & oc potential?

Ren H

Limp Gawd
Planning on semi-budget oriented htpc with oc potential with a premium on being quiet.

Possible 2kpro, XPpro, Mythbuntu

Really just looking for suggestions to steer me in the right direction.
tia :)

Instead of the 9600gt, try the Nvidia 8300 boards, they offer a solid onboard option for video, if you are using the 9600gt for gaming, you may be able to get the hybrid sli thing going too. Couple that with an antec fusion, and a nice low noise cooler like the Zalman 8500, and you will have a pretty beefy quiet system :)

i have a 9600gt in my HTPC and it actually is quite loud, single slot cooler, and uses 1/2 of the power of my system.

The newer GPU with the die shrink use less power, less heat and less noise.

I love the Gaming ability, 720p TV and 9600gt with a BE-2400 and 4 GB of ram and every game has been playable..

That hybrid power sounds like an ideal solution! - one problem, seems it requires Vista (to power down the discrete gpu) if I infer correctly from this article I may still be able to use it: http://hothardware.com/Articles/NVIDIA-nForce-780a-SLI-Motherboard-RoundUp-Asus-MSI/?page=2 (apparently an almost identical chipset, based on 8400 iirc from another article)
otherwise it seems good, any thoughts on the azalia sound?
and the 9 series mgpu's are intel apparently

as far as the noise from the 9600 doesn't Zalman make a cooler for that?
I see there's one oem but I don't see one retail on their site, am I getting boned again? :rolleyes:

Back