Chkdsk fixed bad sectors, but is the HDD trustworthy now?

maw

Supreme [H]ardness
i have a win2k3 server that died unexpectedly a couple of days ago (crashed with a corrupted registry error on bootup). I ran chkdsk from the repair console and it reported that it found and fixed one error. The OS then booted up just fine and everything seems back to normal.

My question though is whether i should treat this as an isolated incident and not worry about it, or should i take that as a warning to replace the drive ASAP?

also, if i do replace the drive but decided to use it in another PC, do i need to run chkdsk on it again after I reformat it, or does chkdsk mark bad sectors in some kind of permanant way?

hello:

disk "fixing" utilities can instruct the OS or bios not to write to a sector it knows is bad>>> but that in no way prevents more from happening.

to answer your question >>>> go to your hard drive manufacturers website and download their (free) diagnostic utility >>> then run the "full" diangostic test >>>> if the drive passes that then you are most likely clear of an dying drive. if it doesnt pass >>>>> replace asap.

Back