Choosing a 24-26"ish IPS Screen

kvcrawford

n00b
Hey Everybody,
I'm trying to decide on a nice 24-26"ish IPS screen. Of interest are the Doublesight DS-265W and the Planar PX2611W monitors, but I'm open to others.

Driving it will be my Macbook Pro with NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT and 256MB of Video RAM.

I will be using it almost entirely for web design and development. However, I may branch into print design in the future. So if I could future-proof it for my career, that would be great. Also, I would prefer that it is not glossy.

I would prefer that it had no input lag for occasional gaming. It would be pretty cool if I could plug in my xbox 360, too, but that's not a priority.

I think that's about it as far as requirements go. I have roughly $1,000 to spend.

I really appreciate any advice you guys can give me! Thanks a lot!

Unfortunately I'm pretty sure the 2408WFP has pretty terrible input lag. If I'm going to just give up on potentially using this monitor for gaming, I think I'd rather buy the NEC 2490. On that note, could somebody fill me in on the differences between the NEC 2490 and 2470?

use LCD91030 promo code at newegg.com, you get Doublesight DS-265W for $729 (save $30 dollars), expires on 9/25...

Great deal

The NEC 2470 uses either a TN or S-PVA panel depending on the model number.

I don't know the model numbers offhand, but the one that costs about $450 uses a TN panel while the S-PVA panel model costs about $800.

The NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT isn't ideal for gaming at 1920 x 1200 unless it's mostly strategy games.

I'm leaning towards the Planar PX2611W. Or is the NEC 2490 really that much better for about $260 more?

I believe the Planar PX2611w should fit your needs.

The NEC LCD2490WUUXi does have some extra electronics built in that you may not deem very important:

1. 10-bit color lookup table for better color accuracy (the display can access billions of colors)
2. Better image processing electronics - most notable difference the NEC does not suffer from color banding when a game console is hooked up to play games at 1920 x1200 resolution.
3. Auto adjusting backlighting to compensate for changing light levels in the environment.
4. Color Compensation to "smooth out" color inconsistencies.
5. Many others I don't know off the top of my head.

If the NEC LCD2490WUXi's OSD is similar to the LCD2690WUXi's (99% sure it is the same), then you can gain access to one of the most comprehensive OSD control settings available in consumer level monitor.

I just pulled the trigger on the Planar... I can't wait to be working in 1920 x 1200 on 26".

Thanks for the help!

Back