Choosing a SSD Vertex 2E, C300 or both

FabienO

n00b
I would like greater than 64GB of SSD space. 128GB being a little too much, this leaves me looking at the OCZ 90GB Vertex 2E; however, I am also more of a gamer so the read speed of the C300 interests me.

Basically so far I think my options are:

A) 64GB C300 (Games, Windows) w/ 40GB OCZ Vertex 2E (Apps)
B) OCZ Vertex 90GB
C) Any suggestions?

Or perhaps your thoughts on one of the above. WWYD?

Info: I am a big gamer, but I also have fun doing montage making. HD travels footage, gameplay etc... a hobby. Also web design/develop too.

You should wait for Postville refresh in Q4 this year, and buy one of those as they come out. Would make much more sense than to look at Crucial C300 for just 20-30% higher IOps?

Very likely you won't feel that difference, but something you might feel is an SSD from the upcoming third generation instead of the current second generation. The third generation will be based on 25nm NAND and will feature much faster 6Gbps controller chips. I expect particularly the write speeds to get a significant boost over current generation.

That's a possibility. I'm in no rush I guess. I could get a water cooling loop this month instead.

Read Anandtech's latest review of the C300 drives, or at least the conclusion. It's pretty recent, and he has a good explanation of the benefits and drawbacks of each, and the best usage cases.

Back