chroma 4:4:4 on cheap 4k tvs?

mkrohn

2[H]4U
Any suggestions? Most of the decent priced ones I've been seeing aren't quite there. I'm a programmer so I want readability and don't need 60hz. I'm just getting sick of going 3 monitors wide to see everything I need to see. I'm thinking about adding a USB dock just to add more monitors but why bother if a 40" 4k TV can do it?

Samsung UN40JU6500 is generally considered to be the cheapest option. Currently at $600ish+. It's been on sale for $450 before, but not sure it ever will be again. Lots of people use 4:2:2 monitors. A Seiki SE42UM can be had for $300.

Sammy un40ju6500 is prob still yr best bet considering cost vs benefit. Yr eyes might not like the saving after y look at screen for hrs w coding at anything lesss than 4:4:4chroma at 60hz

Sammy un40ju6500 is prob still yr best bet considering cost vs benefit. Yr eyes might not like the saving after y look at screen for hrs w coding at anything lesss than 4:4:4chroma at 60hz
Being a programmer is why nothing less than 444 will do. In the 600 range the 34" ultrawide ultrasharps may be a better bet. Ive setup price alerts for that sammy and will do the same for some monitors and see what i get. Thanks, anything else you think should be on my watch list?

I use a Seiki SE39UY04-1 as a second monitor on my PC. It does 4k@30hz with 4:4:4 chroma. There is also a 50" version if you want to go even bigger.

The Seiki 39" and 55" do 4:4:4.

They are the reigning champions in this area still, unfortunately. I bought mine in 2013 and haven't found anything that could replace it, despite trying. It does 4k30hz (fine for work) and 1080p120hz (excellent for gaming).

Some of the 2015 Sony's were advertised as able to do 1080p120hz, but I ended up returning mine becase it couldn't do it without artifacting.

I don't think it does 4:4:4. Take a picture of this displayed at 100% (no zoom). http://cdn.avsforum.com/b/b4/b4a44044_vbattach208609.png
I am at work so I cant take a picture, but there are plenty of places where it is documented that Both the 39" and 55" Seiki will do 4:4:4. They can only do 4k@30hz which sucks for gaming but it should be fine for the OP's use. I haven't done any PC gaming on mine but I do play my PS4 on it and it seems to scale 1080p fine for me.

I am 200% sure that the Seiki 39' does 4:4:4, actually, it does TRUE RGB. All the reporst of bad text are from people incapable of setting cleartype correctly for BGR pixel aligments like the Seiki.

The Seiki also boast the most comprehensive color adjustment options among its price class, being capable of both high contrast and perfect RGB coverage. Working at 4k@30Hz requires a very fast mouse however, but the 1080@120Hz is flawless. I have moved my working setup to a U2515H because or ergonomics considerations, but the Seiki remains as my main display for gaming and watching movies.

I would not spend my money nowadays to get something that does 4K 4:4:4 at only 30hz. The lag that comes with 30hz for motion, mouse moving windows, etc gets real tired after a while. Why compromised like that when there are true 4K 4:4:4 60hz that are not that much more expensive? Esp if you are coding and will be staring at your monitor for a long time each day... you are going to move windows around and so on. I am sure you would like to put up an occasional video on such a nice big monitor. It's used to be there's not really much options and even today there are still more tv out there that doesn't quite do true 4K 4:4:4 60hz even though everyone says their TV does 4K but there are certainly a lot of fairly affordable "true" 4K out there now.

I think the cheapest thing you are going to find is a Korean variant like the A409Uv2. 4:4:4 is hard to find on a TV and this offers both. This also offers 60hz over DP so you don't need a new video card to run it as long as you are not gaming.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Among monitors and TVs between 40 and 43 inches, the cheapest that will do 4:4:4 60 Hz is a monitor (not a TV) from late 2015: the Yamakasi O40USUT. It earns excellent reviews on Amazon USA and can be found for about $540 shipped. No DisplayPort, unfortunately. The cheapest such monitor with a DispayPort are the AMH A409Uv2 and its apparent twin, the Wasabi Mango UHD400. Currently, they cost about $80 to $100 more than the Yamakasi. But you'll save $30 to $50 by not needing to buy a DP to HDMI 2.0 4K adapter.

Just so you guys know, the Samsung 40JU6500 mentioned earlier is at $600 right now straight from Amazon. 4xHDMI 2.0a.

Being a programmer is why nothing less than 444 will do. In the 600 range the 34" ultrawide ultrasharps may be a better bet. Ive setup price alerts for that sammy and will do the same for some monitors and see what i get. Thanks, anything else you think should be on my watch list?

What does programming have to do with 4:4:4? I went the JU7500 route myself but as long as you're not doing lots of color sensitive work, any 4k monitor operating at 60hz will do.

What does programming have to do with 4:4:4? I went the JU7500 route myself but as long as you're not doing lots of color sensitive work, any 4k monitor operating at 60hz will do.
Various colored text on possibly colored backgrounds can be unreadable without 4:4:4. I haven't tested Solarized (a color scheme) in different chroma's but I know the stock charting app I use has a color scheme that demands 4:4:4

oh I don't know... text clarity in all situations instead of just some?

oh I don't know... text clarity in all situations instead of just some?

You mean in 100% of situations instead of 98%. I used a 37" 1080p TV that wasn't running 4:4:4 as my primary monitor for many years and never had a problem programming or doing photoshop work with it.

I'm using LG 40UF671V (same as UF675V) .. It costs a good 400€ and does 4:4:4@4k@60Hz. It has an IPS panel, which I really like. Initially I bought Samsung JU6500, but the color shift and viewing angles were atrocious, so I switched to LG. It does have a little bit noticeable input lag, though. It's an LG after all.

Back