Chrome Coating a Radiator?

Mysterae

Gawd
Guys, the paint finish of the ThermoChill PA120.2 in my case build is starting to annoy me. The matt black is dull and scratched in a few areas, and starting to detract from the look of the case.

should_I_chrome.jpg

I'm thinking of having it chrome coated while I finish the case and wondered if there was any reason not too. For instance, will it affect the cooling performance of the rad? Only the housing would be chromed and not the actual cooling fins. The chroming process will add a layer of copper before the chrome finish. The original paint must be removed first and the surface sanded smooth, which I'm prepared to do.

Any reasons not to chrome coat a radiator?

cover up the fins with masking tape, and DO IT! :p

as for any detrimental effects of chroming it, I don't know.

I think you should send a pm to Marci. He works for ThermoChill and would probably be best equipped to answer your question.

Yeah...

The modder that did the Orac3 case mod awhile back had his BIP chromed.

Just, don't get any on the fins... Make sure that's covered up.

Yeah...

The modder that did the Orac3 case mod awhile back had his BIP chromed.

Just, don't get any on the fins... Make sure that's covered up.

I won't deny that's where I got the idea from ;) . The more I look at the radiator the more it bugs me, it's in a too predominant location to ignore.

I though more people would have chromed or perhaps painted their rads. I can't paint to save myself so this is my best option.

I'll shoot an email to Marci in the morning if he doesn't catch this thread.

Sand off current paint from the rad (everywhere but the core fins)... 400 grit first, then 600grit, then if you want a really good finish, 1200 grit. Wet n' dry... use it wet... final quality of the finish will be down to the prepwork. Get it all cleaned right back... then send it to the chromers and ask them if they can possibly avoid chroming the fins. When you get it back, mask off all the chrome and give the fins a quick blast with regular automotive mattblack paint... Should result in something like this:

chrome1.jpg

chrome2.jpg

chrome3.jpg

chrome4.jpg

You mean chrome? Because paint and chrome insulates.

yep, and the quick blast of paint on the fins is only enough to get the very outside edges of the fins so it doesn't hinder performance greatly

Should result in something like this:
chrome1.jpg

Excellent Marci, thanks. That's the exact kind of finish I'm looking for. I spoke to a company and they said they can avoid the fins no problem, I just need to mask off the area once I've sanded it down. Trying to think what to do with the internal threads, as i wouldn't want them chromed.

I'll post the results, should be done in about a week.

Actually, ORAC3 by G-Gnome, I believe, was a Black Ice Extreme in Chrome. Like, from the factory.

That being said, mask the fins, remove the paint, sand until it's smooth, then get it chromed.

Trying to think what to do with the internal threads, as i wouldn't want them chromed.

happens all the time, just chase em with the proper size tap, in other words just run the proper sized screw tap through the threads to clean them of excessive plating after chroming, the chromer could/should even do it for you if you mention it. If you try to mask them somehow, you probally will not get a good "stick" of the crome near the thread holes and increase the possibility of cracking or flaking when installing the screws.

Back