Circuit City on the Sub $200 HDDVD Bandwagon

Rich Tate

Supreme [H]ardness
We now have further confirmation of a very affordable HDDVD player, this time at Circuit City.

Yesterday, DailyTech reported that Wal-Mart was preparing to drop the price on Toshiba's 1080i HD-A2 HD DVD player. Images were taken of a Wal-Mart aisle end cap with the HD-A2 listed for $198. According to user who posted the picture online, the new price is to take effect on November 3.

This is very tempting, with a Netflix acct I might never leave the house. :D

and 1080p...

It is 1080p, just at 24 fps (since that is what all movies are filmed at). 1080i @ 60fps is equal to 1080p @ 30fps (there is no image quality loss). Most HD DVD/Blu-ray players use a conversion process like this: 1080p24->1080p30->1080p60, which will have the same image quality as the HD-A2's conversion process: 1080p24->1080p30->1080i60 because your TV should be able to deinterlace 1080i60 back to 1080p30 and then convert that to 1080p60 (again without image quality loss). So I know 1080i sounds "lame", but it shouldn't be the reason why you don't get this HD DVD player.

What Moofasa says is correct ... if your TV deinterlaces it right. If not, you'll have slight PQ degradation.

What Moofasa says is correct ... if your TV deinterlaces it right. If not, you'll have slight PQ degradation.
Everyone has a right to their opinion. People who go ape shit on a forum about this player not doing 1080p is kind of annoying. They have the right to make that choice, and express that view point. It is only annoying because most everyone I know doesn't know what the hell all the different modes even are. Most couldn't tell the difference between 720p from their cable service vs 1080p bluray or hd-dvd. Some still can't figure out why they should upgrade from a regular dvd player.

I know I'm going to buy this hd-dvd player as will a ton of others. I hate sony so I'm automagically bias and an hd-dvd fanboy, I mean hell I check to see if movies that come out at the theater were made by their studio. If so I don't go. Boycotting something takes dedication ;).

if your TV deinterlaces it right. If not, you'll have slight PQ degradation.

And I think we can all agree that the vast majority of HDTV's can deinterlace 1080i60 to 1080p30 correctly. There are a few (older?) ones that are unable to resolve a few lines.

I know I'm going to buy this hd-dvd player as will a ton of others. I hate sony so I'm automagically bias and an hd-dvd fanboy, I mean hell I check to see if movies that come out at the theater were made by their studio. If so I don't go. Boycotting something takes dedication ;).

Good to know some one else who hates them too, even if it is a bit more than I :D

Everyone has a right to their opinion. People who go ape shit on a forum about this player not doing 1080p is kind of annoying. They have the right to make that choice, and express that view point. It is only annoying because most everyone I know doesn't know what the hell all the different modes even are. Most couldn't tell the difference between 720p from their cable service vs 1080p bluray or hd-dvd. Some still can't figure out why they should upgrade from a regular dvd player.

Feel the same way

Damn straight.

Back