Citrix gurus help please

mac_cnc

2[H]4U
So we use citrix to connect to our ERP system in Norway. The server is maintained over there and has been good till now. Then tuesday printers stopped auto loading when people logged in. You know when you connect it should map your local printers. Well it did that till tuesday now nothing. I also remote desktopped into the machine and It didnt map my local printer either. Has anyone ever seen this, and if so a fix please. People are breathing on me to fix this. Im lost.... :(

i would open up the services manager (start --> run --> services.msc) and make sure the print spooler is actually running first.

well yah see the hardwired printers they added for us here....the network ones all work fine. Its just the local on thier desk printers that wont bind to the citrix session.

There are settings in the CMC (Citrix Managment Console) on the way printers get mapped to users.

Open the CMC and Right Click Printer Managment and Choose Properties. It looks like this in MetaFrame XP
printermap.jpg

As for Remote Desktop this in controlled through Active Directory under the Environment tab for the user(s).

For further assistance I would recommend Brian Maddens Forums http://www.brianmadden.com/forum/

Wow I will pass this along and hopefully it works. Thank you so much !!!!! :D

I am having the same issue, so any advice would be appreciated. My printers tab does look exactly like that.

Everything was working right when all of a sudden it stopped.

Citrix servers and their printers occasionally flip their pancakes. Its for this very reason we dumped it. I too would restart the print spooler service.

Nasty_Savage said:
Citrix servers and their printers occasionally flip their pancakes. Its for this very reason we dumped it. I too would restart the print spooler service.

Nope, just restared the print spool on both servers and still not auto-creating of printers

Its been a while, but if I remember right, you have to have the same identical drivers loaded on the citrix server as the client(s) have, so make sure they match. If you just updated local printers, upload that same driver to the citrix box.

TrueBuckeye said:
Its been a while, but if I remember right, you have to have the same identical drivers loaded on the citrix server as the client(s) have, so make sure they match. If you just updated local printers, upload that same driver to the citrix box.

Thats correct, and we have checked this.

After doing some more experimenting i have discovered that something is killing the print spooler durring log in. If i have the Services console open and start the service right after it is killed while the user is logging in their printers will work. Now i just have to figure out what is killing the print spooler. I am getting an event 7031 which seems quite generic.

"The Print Spooler service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 60000 milliseconds: Restart the service. "

You running Metarframe XP or Presentation Server 4?

delete the content of C:\WINNT\system32\spool\PRINTERS
and then kick the IMA services.

Lots of info here:
http://support.citrix.com/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=150997&fromSearchPage=true&#150997

I run our farm here and have learned that Citrix is about the most picky platform I've ever seen. So many registry hacks and special permissions are needed, of which zero are mentioned in the install doco..

Once it's up though it does work well.

We've had nothing but hell trying to print through Citrix, especially over connections to a home deskjet. We've been slowly rolling over Citrix installswith Windows 2003 Terminal service licencing. He'll i'd take real VNC over citrix actually

Coldtronius said:
We've had nothing but hell trying to print through Citrix, especially over connections to a home deskjet. We've been slowly rolling over Citrix installswith Windows 2003 Terminal service licencing. He'll i'd take real VNC over citrix actually

MS TS is not going to give you better printing solutions. The problem isn't with Citrix its with the printer driver manufactures. HP is one of the few who make TS print drivers. We runs over 50 servers in our farm and have almost no print problems. HP doesn't make Ts compatible drivers for crappy disposable printers (deskjets). For that i suggest using the universal print driver (Citrix or HP's). You could also look at 3rd help such as www.uniprint.net.

VNC over Citrix. rofl lmao. There a bandwidth saver for you. Enterprise solutions are just plug and go. they take careful planning and implementation. If you want a thin client solution thats can print without hassle you need to buy support printers.

now back on topic. .....

If its not mapping the local printer using RDP ITS NOT A CITRIX PROBLEM. Citrix lays over the top of MS TS and enhances it. First i would create a dummy printer on my local pc with a driver that is built uinto windows. Like the 5si mx. set it to deafult and see if its maps through rdp. for citrix/msts to auto create a printer the print driver name on the local workstation has to match exactly to the driver thats intall on the server.

Back