Citrix Metaframe + Gaming?

itsmikey

Gawd
Not too exact on how this works, Im assuming due to the issues its software 3d acceleration

Can't get WOW to get to login screen, can get autoassault to that screen, both have the same access violation crash.

Movies, etc, run fine.

Anyone familiar with this software and its video/gaming capacity?

Better options? GotoMyPC's Citrix setup plays games fine.

Wow....it's not really designed for that. Games want good multimedia, video accel, sound, fast reponse time.

All things that Citrix/Terminal server are not.

Granted there are a few Terminal Server based products that excel in graphics, HP makes some, but those are really for CAD 'n design graphics workstations in a TS environment.

Screen refreshes aren't exactly a strongpoint of Terminal Server based stuff either...generally designed for basic applications and keystrokes.

A lot of games look for basic hardware requirements upon startup...so it's probably bombing at this point of trying to initialize the graphics.

Kinda like trying to enter an old 1970's Lincoln Continental at a Limerock auto race..makes you go "Why?"

This is a very perplexing post, I have to side with YeOlde on this one and ask WHY?!?!?!?

Looking for the best gaming remote desktop.

So far Gotomypc seems the best, although it still is pretty bad.

VNC and remotedesktop are no go.

I haven't tried UltraVNC yet but I doubt it's much better.

Why?

Looking for the best software to intense applications (games) remotely.

Not expecting something amazing, but found it odd that Metaframe didn't allow us to at all.

Supposedly Metaframe was built to do multimedia.. at least, that's what a coworker told me.

You are trying to use the wrong tool for the job here.

Citrix and remote desktop apps have their purpose but it is not for gaming.

Are you trying to play from work or something?

Essentially. I work in the field and would like to play WOW or other games while at the hotel, ON my computer. (Corporate laptop, would prefer not to install games)

Any suggestions?

**edited** late post **edited**

Why not just get your own lappy for gaming in the hotel?

itsmikey said:
(Corporate laptop, would prefer not to install games)

Any suggestions?

I would think they would also prefer not to have it installed on their Citrix server then. I just don't see TS type stuff doing well at games..not even sure something like HP's Remote Graphics solution would handle it well.

Nothing is remotely Citrix at my office. Metaframe is an application akin to VNC.

Thanks. I did not say I wasn't allowed to install anything. I would prefer not to. I suppose it's the Security Analyst in me.

When you add in the latency and bandwidth limitations of the connection hotel <-> home, I doubt anything more fancy than Civ 2 would be playable, sorry.

On the other hand, even the cheapest laptop should be able to handle WoW these says.
My thinkpad R50e has a grubby intel chipset, and it -still- handles WoW (if barely). Get something with the cheapest mobile radeon or nVidia chip, and it should be fine.
(I don't want to estimate prices, the markets are a bit too different.)

Yeah, I understand what you folks are saying.

I suppose I was hoping against hope that their might be some gaming alternative.

Often enough I AM at work, and do have access to T3+ connections, but it's essentially the same quality.

With this said, I'm still curious if anyone knows of the intricate differences between Metaframe and GotomyPC by Citrix.

I'm curious as to why one seems to basically emulate software acceleration (Metaframe), and the other does not - any ideas?

itsmikey said:
With this said, I'm still curious if anyone knows of the intricate differences between Metaframe and GotomyPC by Citrix.

I'm curious as to why one seems to basically emulate software acceleration (Metaframe), and the other does not - any ideas?

They are too different beasts. One is essentially for desktop emmulation (GotomyPC) and the other is used mainly for application virtualization. Metaframe is obvioulsy intended for business use (Enterprise distributions, etc.), where as GotomyPC is not.

Also, you are aware that Citrix (the company) makes Metaframe (the application), right? It almost sounds like you think they are two different things...

YeOldeStonecat said:
What do you mean "nothing is remotely Citrix".

It sounds like his company doesn't use citrix, he's just considering using it himself.

HHunt said:
It sounds like his company doesn't use citrix, he's just considering using it himself.

Figured they did because he said it didn't work when he tried it. Assumed he tried it at the office, since Citrix software is quite expensive, ...especially for a home setup.

PHUNBALL said:
Also, you are aware that Citrix (the company) makes Metaframe (the application), right? It almost sounds like you think they are two different things...

:nods:

Buy a laptop hard drive for 60 bux and install the OS and games on it. Slap it in when you want to play. Makes sense to me. I admire your security worries though.

PHUNBALL said:
They are too different beasts. One is essentially for desktop emmulation (GotomyPC) and the other is used mainly for application virtualization. Metaframe is obvioulsy intended for business use (Enterprise distributions, etc.), where as GotomyPC is not.

er. Yes, that's why I said "Citrix Metaframe" in the title. :)

The laptop HDD is a good idea, hadn't even thought of that for some reason.

If I recall correctly, Citrix metaframe will not pass DirectX. All it is is massive screen shots passed over the pipe. You aren't actually connected to the computer. Been a year since we basically dumped Citirx and I moved to a new NOS, so my memory is fuzzy. God I hated that thing.

itsmikey said:
er. Yes, that's why I said "Citrix Metaframe" in the title. :)

The laptop HDD is a good idea, hadn't even thought of that for some reason.

For that matter go read this.. You wont even have to switch out the harddrive if the laptop supports bootable USB. Very light touch.

Nasty_Savage said:
If I recall correctly, Citrix metaframe will not pass DirectX. All it is is massive screen shots passed over the pipe. You aren't actually connected to the computer. Been a year since we basically dumped Citirx and I moved to a new NOS, so my memory is fuzzy. God I hated that thing.

Awesome, exactly what I needed to know!

Nasty_Savage said:

I've got us down to 2 Metaframes left. As soon as I can web-out the rest of my apps they're gone. SUCH a headache.

Back