Civilzation 4?

maademperor

[H]ard|Gawd
Alright, I had never played a Civ game until last night. It all started Friday when I was talking to this RTS at nut at work about games and I mentioned that I heard Civ. games were good, so this BASTARD said he didnt understand what people liked so much about it and loaned me his copy. Well, last night quickly stretched into this morning (from about 7pm until like 4am...time really flew).

Basically, I wanted to know if Civ4 is as good or better? Now that its been out awhile I figure people can say definitively what they like more or less about it? Thanks!

I love Civ 4. There's just so much depth and you can play it however you want. My favorite part is probably playing on randomly generated maps and exploring them. The larger the map, the better.

From what I remember, Civ4 was pretty much a graphical update. I remember a few new techs and wonders, and a few new units compared to civ3, but not much else in the gameplay dept. The graphics are incredible though, just being able to zoom out and see a GLOBE gives you a real sense of immersion (and global domination when you get there, after that last egyptian MFer gets blitzkrieged :D)

Civ 4 is addicting, but I don't play it so much anymore. Primarily because it's addicting. You kind of have to restrain yourself.

Danly said:
From what I remember, Civ4 was pretty much a graphical update. I remember a few new techs and wonders, and a few new units compared to civ3, but not much else in the gameplay dept. The graphics are incredible though, just being able to zoom out and see a GLOBE gives you a real sense of immersion (and global domination when you get there, after that last egyptian MFer gets blitzkrieged :D)

While Civ4 is deffinately a graphics update to Civ3, it also sports some major gameplay changes over Civ3. They really tried to minimize the city spam strategies. In Civ3 and earlier city matinance was defined by what buildings were in the city, so having many small cities was more economical, thus people filled the land with as many cities as they could. (One of the more effective late game defenses was a wall of cities streteched across your land...)
In Civ 4, buildings (most of them anyway) don't cost any matinance, but cities do - and both size and more importantly distance from your capital define city maintinance costs. This leads to fewer, larger, more specialized cites.
They also added religion as a way to both make a bit of money and to help out with neighborly relations (civs of the same state religion get a diplomatic bonus).
Cultural influence (borders) now play a fairly signifigant role in developing your empire.

If you enjoyed Civ3, you need to pick up Civ4, just about everything about it is better.
And go play the Galactic Civilizations II demo as well.

cool, thanks for the comments guys, the general "formula" of the game is so good I couldnt see why they would have screwed with it...guess I got a new purchase on the horizon ;)

The multiplayer is definitely much better too. You can jump in and out of a game and AI can play for you while you're gone. Multiplayer is also much more stable than before. I like it much better than Civ 3, and the changes do make you play it differently. Team play is great too if you want to play with some friends against AI.

tprox said:
The multiplayer is definitely much better too. You can jump in and out of a game and AI can play for you while you're gone. Multiplayer is also much more stable than before. I like it much better than Civ 3, and the changes do make you play it differently. Team play is great too if you want to play with some friends against AI.

Although it is much easier to "cheat" in multiplayer now by going into the map editor...

PWMK2 said:
Although it is much easier to "cheat" in multiplayer now by going into the map editor...

All the host has to do is check one box to disable the map editor. :rolleyes:

There was a realy funny article about a head to head game of Civ 4 in CGW like in october or something. Sounded really amusing.

talk about addictive...

after hours of playing...i would go "ok..just one more turn, then im done"...that lasted another couple of hours too :p

Rishy said:
talk about addictive...

after hours of playing...i would go "ok..just one more turn, then im done"...that lasted another couple of hours too :p

thats why I had to refer to my co-worker as a BASTARD. probably a good thing he doesnt like it, it would cause him to seriously neglect his wife and kids :p

now I gotta find one of those "hide your apps to not be discovered gaming at work" apps too ;)

Back