Clean and Cool suggestions?

ochoco

n00b
I am currently using a case I have had for a long time now, Coolermaster ATCS 201 http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=-129&type=expert . I just keep coming back to the simple yet sleek design of this case. The problem I have is, even though I love this case, it has become too outdated and a PITA to change any hardware in and out of it.

I'm looking for an ATX Mid-Tower. I currently use a PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 510-SLI 510W psu. I have 4 hard drives and one DVD drive with a possibility to add a second in the future. I am running a Q6600 processor and a GTX 260 Black Edition video card. My system is air cooled via an HDT-S1283 by Xigmatek. The room my computer resides in is air conditioned. The weight of the case is irrelevant to me and I do not want a case with wheels. Noise is not a major factor, I do not want something that will have my neighbors calling the police about a new airport in the neighborhood but it doesn't have to be inaudible.

What I am looking for is something simple like my ATCS 201 that has superb cooling. I love the aluminum cases, they just feel so sturdy and look so "clean" to me. Color doesn't really matter too much, though I'm not looking for anything flashy. Simple, clean, cool, and capable.

I've seen quite a few that look similar to my old case but have no real world knowledge of any of them. I figured maybe I could get a few suggestions from people who really know how they peroform and their individual quirks.

Unless you're doing seriously heavy overclocking, I wouldn't worry too much about the cooling capabilities. Bear in mind that OEM computers often only have 2-3 fans, including the PSU and CPU HSF, and they're rarely 120mm. If I were you, based on your preferences, I'd start by looking purely at aesthetics, and go from there.

Judging from your case that you have and love so much I'd say the Antec P series (P180/P182) and just about any Lian Li would be right up your alley. You might check out thermaltake's armor, it's a little bit "flashier" but I have similar taste and found it acceptable as well. Silverstone also makes some real nice cases you might check out.

I would avoid the Armor because despite the name, its mostly plastic. If you like aluminum, go with a Lian Li or a Silverstone. Both have amazing cooling, are very well built, and are sharp looking cases.

After reading case reviews and forum posts over the last few days I think I have decided to stick with the same Case Line, just a wee bit bigger. The ATCS 840 just seems like an obvious choice, albeit overly large, but it seems like it can be a great case that will last for many years. Also presents quite a few modding possibilities in the future if I decided to delve into that route.

Thanks for the input.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cases/2008/10/31/cooler-master-atcs-840-classic-review/1

After reading case reviews and forum posts over the last few days I think I have decided to stick with the same Case Line, just a wee bit bigger. The ATCS 840 just seems like an obvious choice, albeit overly large, but it seems like it can be a great case that will last for many years. Also presents quite a few modding possibilities in the future if I decided to delve into that route.

Thanks for the input.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cases/2008/10/31/cooler-master-atcs-840-classic-review/1

good choice. nice and clean.

Thanks for the input.

That case seems to be a monster.
It's on I am interested in, however I'm not sure I need something so large.

Let me know what you think once you purchase it.

UPS delivered it last night. So far all I have done is disassembled it, then reassembled it. Will put everything in it tonight. I would of done it last night but then I would have been on my wifes not-so-good list for a while, so I chose to wait...

Case is very sturdy, especially for such a large case. Front panel was a pain to remove and I broke one of the clips on it, but a little super glue and it's fine now. Just need to make sure you push the right side toward the left a bit and the pull up on the right. The clips on the left side are sorta springy and they are what is keeping the pressure on the left side, so once you push it that way it comes off pretty easily.

Will post more once it's all set up. Can't stop oogling it though, sexy case.

I would like to add 3 to 4 120mm fans in the optional fan positions in this case but have no clue on what to look for. I would like to add three for sure, the 2 that mount on the front of the hard drive cage and the one in the bottom of the case. The one for the exterior box I may not add but will probably pick up a fourth fan for it anyhow, just in case.

Any suggestions on a 120mm fan that is not ear piercing, yet still does a decent job moving air. I do not care for anything flashy, LED's are not my thing.

Thanks in advance, I have no idea what to look for in a fan...

Yate Loons are pretty much the Cadillac of fans. I'm running D12SM-12s on my radiator that are pretty quiet but still move a decent amount of air. They also make D12SLs that are virtually silent or D12SHs to move more air. Can't really go wrong with any of the yates though.

Yate Loons, Scythe Flex's, Panflo, Noctua NF-P12's, are all great fans, shouldn't matter too much which you choose, as all perform similarly. Get the one that fits your budget, check the specs for what kind of speeds and noise you want, then pick on looks last.

Great case choice btw!

I really like my HAF.....moves a ton of air and keeps things nice and cool. It is solid as a rock.

I would like to add 3 to 4 120mm fans in the optional fan positions in this case but have no clue on what to look for. I would like to add three for sure, the 2 that mount on the front of the hard drive cage and the one in the bottom of the case. The one for the exterior box I may not add but will probably pick up a fourth fan for it anyhow, just in case.

Any suggestions on a 120mm fan that is not ear piercing, yet still does a decent job moving air. I do not care for anything flashy, LED's are not my thing.

Thanks in advance, I have no idea what to look for in a fan...

S-Flex are good fans. Noctua are also very nice.

Back