Cleartype gives me a red outline around text

Strife2101

n00b
I have been searching for the cleartype thread on here to help me with my problem but couldnt find it. I have a Samsung 206BW LCD and when I enable the cleartype fonts in Windows XP I get a red tinge or outline around certain characters. Is there anyway to get rid of this???

Can you direct me to the correct thread if there is already one?

I have a Samsung 206BW LCD and when I enable the cleartype fonts in Windows XP I get a red tinge or outline around certain characters. Is there anyway to get rid of this??? ....
I had same problem when using ClearType for "smoothing screen fonts". (I wasn't using ClearType for everything, just for that).
It made me decide never to use ClearType at all, period.

My Text was changing colors at random. I was mistakenly blaming the new LCD-TV I had just bot.
Sometimes a letter in a sentence would change to another color, sometimes the whole sentence would change color. Wierd. Driving me bats.
Looking for solution, I read a post by a dude who said: Clear Type sometimes does wierd things to Text colors.

So, I went to Control Panel and disabled the box in Display / Appearance / Effects window that had option: "use ClearType for font-smoothing".
This automatically switched it to "Standard" fonts for smoothing. My text color troubles disappeared.
Make sure you hit 'Apply' button (on previous page, the 'Appearance' page) after you do this, or your change wont take effect.
Also, if problem comes back, go look at the Box again-----cuz sometimes sneaky WinXP will re-enable ClearType as 'font-smoother'.

Since I cant trust ClearType to do simple job like "smoothing fonts" I sure dont trust it as my fulltime Font set.
Now ,I know someone will say "ClearType works fine for me". Wonderful, glad to hear it, good luck to ya.
But I dont trust a Font-set that does exactly what the dude predicted: "ClearType sometimes screws up Text colors".

How many brand new LCD-TVs are being mistakenly blamed by owner (This freaking POS is going back to dealer)
when it might be that ClearType don't like that TV and owner should use Windows Standard fonts. Its an idea worth trying.​

Yea that fixed the problem, but shouldnt I be able to use cleartype fonts without this happening?

Thanks for the info

Back